So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

Jinxy

Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2014, 12:27:10 AM
Davy Coldrick last week. Joe Mc Quillan this week. Refs are finding it difficult to sort out this black card.

God help the mere mortal referees.

We need Marty Duffy to take this whole black card situation by the scruff of the neck.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Throw ball

Quote from: Jinxy on May 26, 2014, 01:04:29 PM
Davy Coldrick last week. Joe Mc Quillan this week. Refs are finding it difficult to sort out this black card.

We need Marty Duffy to take this whole black card situation by the scruff of the neck.

Don't tempt fate he is refereeing Armagh and Cavan. Hope he has a good game and only books those in blue!

imtommygunn

I don't know why anyone would ref these days. So much pressure. They really need help somehow.

These guys making mistakes are the good ones. Just wait on duffy like someone says!

tommysmith

Quote from: Throw ball on May 26, 2014, 09:43:11 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 26, 2014, 01:04:29 PM

Don't tempt fate he is refereeing Armagh and Cavan. Hope he has a good game and only books those in blue!

Noooooooooooooooo

From the Bunker

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 26, 2014, 12:38:03 PM
Kielt deliberately tried to trip the Donegal guy but in no way did his action cause him to fall. The Donegal guy should have been booked for diving but was rewarded instead by his opponent having to leave the field.

But is it not the intention that counts?

PAULD123

Quote from: Hound on May 26, 2014, 09:11:17 AM
I find it really annoying the amount of fans, and now media, calling for more black cards. The refs are doing largely a really good job in the 4 or 5 months this has been in, but all this hoohah is likely to make a ballix of it and we could see far more black cards as the championship progresses. But hopefully the refs stay strong.

To be fair I think fans want to see black cards just for the novelty of it. That novelty will wear off. But from the tone of voices used when calling for a black card on the terraces it is less about wanting to see the team or player punished and more about complaining about the referee's clear ineptitude at implementing the rule.

It is like, if you can't get that right then how can we trust you to get anything right?I don't think too many fans would care if the black card rule was thrown away. It is just that if the rule is there, then why is it being so badly implemented by so many ref's. After all, the writers expected several black cards a game, hence the three substitution rule. So that alone tells me that the referees are not seeing what the rule writers saw.

The over carrying rule is always getting cat calls from the terraces, the advancing or frees by the kicker, free kicks where the receiver is less than 13m. All these are really simple rules and so badly implemented by so many top referees. I hate the phrase "Let the game flow". If it means letting someone away with breaking the rules then no- do not let the game flow.

Now we have a new fairly simple rule that the referees are doing a god awful job of implementing - The black card. It is a poor rule (sin bin was the obviously more correct punishment) and being even more poorly implemented.

Hardy

Spot on Paul. The rules change but the referees continue to run the games their own way. Everyone gets sanctioned, lectured, threatened, suspended, disciplined - except referees.

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 27, 2014, 09:27:04 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 26, 2014, 12:38:03 PM
Kielt deliberately tried to trip the Donegal guy but in no way did his action cause him to fall. The Donegal guy should have been booked for diving but was rewarded instead by his opponent having to leave the field.

But is it not the intention that counts?

Good question, but the rule says "deliberately trip an opponent", not "deliberately try to trip an opponent", so if the attempt failed and the opponent fell for some other reason, it wasn't a trip.

Of course, referees' reasoning in this situation will be the usual lottery.

screenexile

Paddy Heaney had an interesting article on the tackle in today's IN... anybody else concerned about the fact that less and less tackles are actually on the ball anymore?!

Rossfan

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 27, 2014, 10:07:54 AM
[The over carrying rule is always getting cat calls from the terraces, the advancing or frees by the kicker, free kicks where the receiver is less than 13m. All these are really simple rules and so badly implemented by so many top referees.
+1.
I recall a game on TG4 some years ago where a ref pulled some team up for a five yard free and the commentator agus an anáilísi were totally mystified.
If the overcarrying rule was implemented at least the defender/tackler would have an even playing field so no need to be glaumin all over the guy with the ball. When ball carriers would get the message the foul count would likely drop by 40% in the average game.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Here's one for you. We had a match on Sunday morning, and our goalie was pulled up for a quick kickout that he took to the corner back, but the corner back was inside the 13m line. (But a lot further than 13m from the kickout). He was over near the sideline.

Was the ref right? I'm not sure to be honest, because it was a kickout rather than a free.

johnneycool

Quote from: screenexile on May 27, 2014, 10:32:26 AM
Paddy Heaney had an interesting article on the tackle in today's IN... anybody else concerned about the fact that less and less tackles are actually on the ball anymore?!

Frank McGlynn gave a few text book examples of the tackle being carried out properly in the second half on Sunday, maybe he could make a few bob coaching others to do the same rather than the lazy bear hug.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 27, 2014, 10:54:35 AM
Here's one for you. We had a match on Sunday morning, and our goalie was pulled up for a quick kickout that he took to the corner back, but the corner back was inside the 13m line. (But a lot further than 13m from the kickout). He was over near the sideline.

Was the ref right? I'm not sure to be honest, because it was a kickout rather than a free.
My understanding is the corner back has to be outside the 13m line when the kick is taken. But can go inside to collect it once the ball is kicked and has travelled 13m. So the ref was probably right (assuming the back was the wrong side of the line when the kick was taken).

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hound on May 27, 2014, 11:01:05 AM

My understanding is the corner back has to be outside the 13m line when the kick is taken. But can go inside to collect it once the ball is kicked and has travelled 13m. So the ref was probably right (assuming the back was the wrong side of the line when the kick was taken).

Beat me to it Hound. Think everyone is supposed to be outside the 20m line (and exclusion zone/"D") when the kickout is taken.

Hardy

2.7 (a) When the ball is played over the endline by
the Team attacking that end, or after a score
is made, play is restarted by a kick-out off the
ground from the 13m line and within the large
rectangle.

If the goalkeeper is not taking the kick-out, he
shall stay in the small rectangle, and all other
players, except the player taking the kick-out,
shall be outside the 20m line and 13m from
the ball, until it has been kicked.

The player taking a kick-out may kick the
ball more than once before any other player
touches it but may not take the ball into his
hands.

The ball shall travel 13m before being played
by another player of the defending team.

AZOffaly