the greatest british spy EAMON DE VALEARA

Started by lawnseed, January 02, 2011, 12:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

just started this book. now i know why an old IRA soldier i know kept a picture of Dev with his head cut off as a reminder of what an absolute traitor this guy was. how could Fianna fail be anything other than what it has proved to be- a cover for treachery and croniesm. the tentacles of this self serving organisation are so entwined in Irish society/life that the Ebola virus seems akin to the common cold when compared
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

mylestheslasher

Quote from: lawnseed on January 02, 2011, 12:48:17 AM
just started this book. now i know why an old IRA soldier i know kept a picture of Dev with his head cut off as a reminder of what an absolute traitor this guy was. how could Fianna fail be anything other than what it has proved to be- a cover for treachery and croniesm. the tentacles of this self serving organisation are so entwined in Irish society/life that the Ebola virus seems akin to the common cold when compared

If i were you i'd stop reading cos that book is biggest load of shite ever written on Irish history. I am no fan of Dev and he was certainly no republican but he was also no spy. The yank that wrote that book also claims Austin Stack was a spy and everyone on the anti treaty side were devils. Tim Pat Coogan, a man that is also no lover of Dev, wrote a much more balanced book. If you are to form an opinion of the man don't do it until you read Tim Pat.

Aerlik

I always had my doubts about Dev.  Playing the Yankie card never cut it for me.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

mylestheslasher

Look lads. This author is an amateur and his book has been ridiculed as absolute pie in the sky by every serious historian that has reviewed it. No where in the book does he offer any evidence of how Dev was a spy. Nowhere in the book does he give any new information on Dev is claimed on the cover. The main purpose of this book was to make as much outlandish claims as possible as a means to get free advertisements for it. Like I said I am no fan of Dev and I abhor the catholic church run country he left behind but on the other hand he did stand and fight for Irish freedom. When making a decision on the man I would strongly advise not to heed this book.

Read the review at this link and tell me do you still take it seriously....

http://www.theirishstory.com/2010/03/26/book-review-england%E2%80%99s-greatest-spy-%E2%80%93-eamonn-de-valera-john-j-turi/

Nally Stand

The man hung more republicans
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 02, 2011, 11:48:35 AM

If i were you i'd stop reading cos that book is biggest load of shite ever written on Irish history. I am no fan of Dev and he was certainly no republican but he was also no spy. The yank that wrote that book also claims Austin Stack was a spy and everyone on the anti treaty side were devils. Tim Pat Coogan, a man that is also no lover of Dev, wrote a much more balanced book. If you are to form an opinion of the man don't do it until you read Tim Pat.

The man hung more Republicans than the Brits did in his era. Most certainly no Republican.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Main Street

Re: the greatest british spy EAMON DE VALEARA
The only knowing to emerge from your post, is that you knew feck all, know even less now, you swallow rubbish with great gusto and then spout it out as if it had some relevance.
Can't you even spell Dev's name properly?

Gaffer

Do you believe every book you read ?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

lawnseed

first of all i don't believe every book i read ::) but i do believe that this guy was a failed (failed because he was a 'bastard' literally) applicant for the priesthood and up until 1914 thats the sum total of his political ambition. keeping in mind that the catholic church at the time were for the status quo, Dev had he been successful would have been preaching how bad the 1916 guys were. secondly as for the spelling of his name there is considerable doubt that 'de valera' is actually his real name. the Spanish artist supposed to have fathered him denied him. (wonder if Eamon jnr would take a DNA test) thirdly there is no doubt that Dev had already tried to deal with the Brits 'unsuccessfully' before he sent collins to London. the list goes on and on and on.. this sadist derived pleasure in making life hard for Irish people this is a 'fact'. to this day his family enjoy pomp and privilege in Irish society when in fact the monies they enjoy Dev stole out of America under the cover that it was for the Irish people.. the 30% stake they own in independent news group, property and estates, businesses, tip FM. 1.5 million is a mountain of money in the early 1900s and thats only the money we know about. the Fianna fail politicians of today and the last 20 years are merely following in the footsteps of their founder.

Hurler on the Bitch

and he sent three hunger strikers to their graves and countless others to internment camps. Also, was his ego the reason for the civil war?

Gaffer

Quote from: lawnseed on January 03, 2011, 09:47:38 PM
first of all i don't believe every book i read

OK then. Which books have you decided not to believe ?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on January 03, 2011, 11:35:16 PM
and he sent three hunger strikers to their graves and countless others to internment camps. Also, was his ego the reason for the civil war?

According to the author of this book dev started the civil war cos the brits asked him to because they wanted to keep Collins away from causing trouble in the north! The problem with this is that it was treaty side that fired the 1st shots, using British guns at the behest of the British government. But heh, the new version of history is more outrageous and makes for better reading.

rrhf

In another shocker Wolfe Tone was believed to have been a German collaborator.  You would believe anything set in print.  I like my history books to have primary sources and secondary sources backed up my research, anything else is fanciful storytelling. 

Zapatista

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on January 03, 2011, 11:35:16 PM

No, that would be the treaty.

lawnseed

well being a nordie we didn't get alot of post 1916 history at school. so i will continue to read this book and others and make up my own mind. also if we are to believe that the film 'Michael collins' is accurate (i'm told it is) Dev let himself out of Lincoln prison with a key he made himself WTF who was he the feckn A team? we are told that the Brits didn't want to execute him because he was 'an American citizen' yet it didn't stop them hanging and shooting other American born IRA men. why did he get off? Dev's the guy who kicked up a fuss over the oath to the king yet he took the oath after he won the election. so many contradictions things just don't add up ???

mylestheslasher

Michael Collins the movie was choco full of historical inaccuracies but then it was a Hollywood movie.