Why do people say "You Know?" in every sentence?

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, July 28, 2008, 11:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downgirl

'Know what I mean like'....you can hear it in a real Belfast accent...awful hard on the ears.

Hurler on the Bitch

That's a lot of balls, like! .. In Edinburgh - thanks to Irvine Welsh - they say "Like a Say!" WHICH IS FOLLOWED By "YE KEN" (Know what I mean?)...

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2008, 11:57:09 PM
Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on July 28, 2008, 11:51:30 PM
The Ulster Scots equivilant apparently is "Ye Knoe" ..  can someone answer this? Is 'Mucker' as in mate, derived from Mo Chara?
So they say. I don't believe it myself. "We used to muck about together". "He's only mucking about."
Nah.
Maybe, "he's my Mucker!" ... I was in a pub in the west and on the menu were 'Mo Chara' burgers .. I asked the waitress what was the crack and she said that you had to aske how "Mo Chara" after you ate them................... arse!    okay, my favourite .. 1989 .. the night before Antrim v Tipp ... I goes into McEneaney's with my ticket for the Hogan Stand and shows the barman it ... it said at the bottom 'LUACH £18' - HE SAYS TO ME .. Feck me, that's a quare price, but at least there giving you some LUNCH for the price of it!

ziggysego

I hate the way some people end all their sentences with "know what I mean"
Testing Accessibility

screenexile

Yeah Clarke has a particular penchant for combining the two ... aye Stevie was good you know lak, and we did a lot better you know lak in midfield and that you know.

Not really fair to single out Clarke as to be honest it is the way a lot of people in the North talk. I have a lot of friends who fire lak into very sentence, educated people at that so it's just a product of your surroundings and the way people talk in a certain area that leads to it. I think the fact a TV camera is put on someone gets them nervous and they revert to using sentence fillers more often than if they were having a normal conversation.

Leo

Quote from: Derry Devil on July 28, 2008, 11:53:54 PM
What about people who say 'like' all the time ::)

The classy Newry birds combine the two "You know like".
Not just a Northern thing - just listen to Sean Og O hAilpin, like, you know.
Fierce tame altogether

screenexile

Juno what i mean like.... juno what i mean like.... juno... like... like... juno... juno what I mean like

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=w2jr17KFG_Y

aontroim

People who use the words "like" and "but" together when they are talking like, but that is fairly common up North.

As for people who use "like butt" - that's for an entirely different discussion board!

Orior

Is there a name for the appending of superflous words at the end of a sentence? Other examples are:

- You know
- So it is
- aha
- huh
- my dahling
- son

I'd love to introduce a few new ones - I might try these out today:

- kiss my fat arse you mother fecker
as in "No your honour, i was nowhere in the vicinity at the time the grafitti went up, kiss my fat arse you mother fecker"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

The Gs Man

"I says to her says I".

Another Lurgan favourite.
Keep 'er lit

Over the Bar

On that point Mickey Harte & John Allen are the only 2 county managers that I have heard in recent years who don't talk in clichés and use 'erms', 'ahs', 'ye knows' and the likes in every sentance.   Can managers not give some thought as to what they are going to say and then talk in proper sentances?   Peter McDonnell is the worst in a while.

screenexile

What about Padraig Harrington? Eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh.

I think I remember a Gift Grub a while back where it was like "So Padraig tell us about your new job... eh it's deadly, I'm now the new sound that you hear when a van reverses... eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh,

Hardy

Another GAA -specific one seems to be "I suppose". It seems to be mainly Munster-centred, but I have heard Kilkenny fellas (Shefflin, especially) overdoing it as well. It's very rare for a Cork or Kerry player, manager or bottle-carrier to be interviewed without supposing at an alarming rate.

Tommy Tibbs

What about "I tell ya what it is".....drives me up the f**kin wall!!