Back-pay for low-paid Catholics

Started by ziggysego, May 15, 2008, 10:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 24, 2009, 07:46:15 PM
Whatever you think yourself
My brother in law worked in a particular department a few years ago and a particular case he was on was subject to a judicial review so he did nothing for a year as there wasn't enough work for him. Imagine a year doing nothing. He applied for a move to another department where he now works.

He was telling me a few weeks ago that if he added up all the work he does in his new department it would probably account for 3 days a month! These stories aren't unique amongst people I know in NICS, but as he says there isn't the wherewithall in the service to change things as nests are too well feathered from top to bottom. The "senior civil servants" in his department are accountants and spend their days (paid for by us mugs) doing homers for people.

I said to him if it's that boring why doesn't he leave. He laughed and said when's the last time you heard of someone left the civil service! It's a shame as there are obviously good people wasting away under a mountain of inefficiency and ineptitude. They'd be better off working in the private sector and contributing something to the economy.

Silky

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Silky on November 24, 2009, 08:09:37 PM
So it's the same north & south?
Probably the same worldwide. Accountability, or the lack of it, is the problem in government agencies. Trade Unions make the problem worse by using the threat of industrial action to demand jobs, any jobs, without worrying about mundane things like lean working, budgets, operational efficiency etc.

stiffler

Is it true there are twice as many civil servants in the north per head than there are in the south?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

loughshore lad

Could these back payments be to soften the blow of potentially big cuts in the public sector over the coming years?  With the public finances in dire straights large cuts are inevitable.

Square Ball

Quote from: loughshore lad on November 24, 2009, 09:39:14 PM
Could these back payments be to soften the blow of potentially big cuts in the public sector over the coming years?  With the public finances in dire straights large cuts are inevitable.

think they may just put a freeze on recruitment and promotion for a while, a long while
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

stew

Men and women went to work and were underpaid for years based on discriminatory practices, they deserve to get every penny that they should have gotten based on what their Protestant counterparts were paid for working at the same level within the civil service.

This is a good thing they govt have done here, give them credit for doing the right thing.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 24, 2009, 08:05:47 PM
My brother in law worked in a particular department a few years ago and a particular case he was on was subject to a judicial review so he did nothing for a year as there wasn't enough work for him. Imagine a year doing nothing. He applied for a move to another department where he now works.

He was telling me a few weeks ago that if he added up all the work he does in his new department it would probably account for 3 days a month! These stories aren't unique amongst people I know in NICS, but as he says there isn't the wherewithall in the service to change things as nests are too well feathered from top to bottom. The "senior civil servants" in his department are accountants and spend their days (paid for by us mugs) doing homers for people.

I said to him if it's that boring why doesn't he leave. He laughed and said when's the last time you heard of someone left the civil service! It's a shame as there are obviously good people wasting away under a mountain of inefficiency and ineptitude. They'd be better off working in the private sector and contributing something to the economy.

Just now when I told you that I left it!

Right enough it can be a very frustrating place to work given how slowly the whole system works.

Quote from: stew on November 24, 2009, 10:04:38 PM
Men and women went to work and were underpaid for years based on discriminatory practices, they deserve to get every penny that they should have gotten based on what their Protestant counterparts were paid for working at the same level within the civil service.

This is a good thing they govt have done here, give them credit for doing the right thing.

Stew this pay deal is nothing to do with Catholics and Protestants receiving different money at the same level.

And I think its arguable as to whether AA and AOs are underpaid. That said, I do feel for a lot of civil servants who do get labelled with accusations of laziness that are often individually unfair but are just a result of the cumbersome nature of government.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Tony Baloney

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 24, 2009, 10:05:59 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 24, 2009, 08:05:47 PM

Just now when I told you that I left it!

Right enough it can be a very frustrating place to work given how slowly the whole system works.

Quote from: stew on November 24, 2009, 10:04:38 PM

Stew this pay deal is nothing to do with Catholics and Protestants receiving different money at the same level.

And I think its arguable as to whether AA and AOs are underpaid. That said, I do feel for a lot off civil servants who do get labelled with accusations of laziness that are often individually unfair but are just a result of the cumbersome nature of government.

You weren't missed!

The whole discrimination thing was bollox was it not. It was to do with similar grades not having parity in their wages across the many departments.

As for the bold above, I totally agree.

Maguire01

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 24, 2009, 08:20:22 PM
Quote from: Silky on November 24, 2009, 08:09:37 PM
So it's the same north & south?
Probably the same worldwide. Accountability, or the lack of it, is the problem in government agencies. Trade Unions make the problem worse by using the threat of industrial action to demand jobs, any jobs, without worrying about mundane things like lean working, budgets, operational efficiency etc.
Tony, you've probably hit the nail on the head with the Unions remark. In a lot of cases, the senior civil servants don't have much choice.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 24, 2009, 10:58:12 PM

The whole discrimination thing was bollox was it not. It was to do with similar grades not having parity in their wages across the many departments.

It was certainly nothing to do with discrimination. Just lazy media reporting. Ok there happened be more Catholics and women in the bottom 2 pay grades but the pay increase for for all genders and religions. In the past there would have been undoubtedly an issue with Catholics going for promotion but I don't think the same allegations can be made these days.

I'm not sure of the exact basis for the deal, are AA and AOs not on the same money across the NICS? And its very debateable as to whether they are genuinely underpaid compared to those doing similar jobs in the private sector.

The one thing that used to really irritate me in the civil service was that people who'd been there for years would be at the top of their pay scale (you went up one point every year though they are trying to phase it out) while those who were new into the job would be at the bottom of the scale. The net result was that another fella in my section in his late 50s at the same grade as me was earning 6 or 7 grand more than I was even though I think its fair to say that I was doing at least as good a job.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 24, 2009, 11:45:14 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 24, 2009, 10:58:12 PM

It was certainly nothing to do with discrimination. Just lazy media reporting. Ok there happened be more Catholics and women in the bottom 2 pay grades but the pay increase for for all genders and religions. In the past there would have been undoubtedly an issue with Catholics going for promotion but I don't think the same allegations can be made these days.

I'm not sure of the exact basis for the deal, are AA and AOs not on the same money across the NICS? And its very debateable as to whether they are genuinely underpaid compared to those doing similar jobs in the private sector.

The one thing that used to really irritate me in the civil service was that people who'd been there for years would be at the top of their pay scale (you went up one point every year though they are trying to phase it out) while those who were new into the job would be at the bottom of the scale. The net result was that another fella in my section in his late 50s at the same grade as me was earning 6 or 7 grand more than I was even though I think its fair to say that I was doing at least as good a job.

It is to do with the difference between Technical Grades made up of approx 85% men and Clerical grades 60-65% women. There was a independant review on the work done and it recommended that the grades should be paid at equal value. Therefor the union took a equal pay case that the people(mostly women)in the clerical grades were discriminated against, from the offer made it seems the management side agree with this and dont want 1000's of equal pay tribunals.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Lady GAA GAA

Fella I know just told me he is off tomorrow for his 'shopping day' and wil get a day off in the new year for his 'supervisor's day off'.

both paid leave. such a joke