Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

DirtyDozen12

Some major games left, as you said odo, any team below the top two could be relegated!!!  Incidently when was the last time Enniskillen where playing division 2 ball?
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Tempoman

How the hell do the gaels still have 5 games left to play?? My god, the second division is all wrapped up bar the league final. Do the teams in divsion 1 play that many more games than those in division 2??

What do you think for the championship final??
I'd like to see teemore win. I played football with big quinlan in oz, he's a horse of a man.
Newtown must be the most consistant teams in fermanagh, they are in a final almost every year.
Should be a close one. I wish i was there, but i havent been at a fermanagh championship final for years, where is it being played this year???

tintin25

I'm pretty sure that the table is incorrect. I believe the Gaels have 3/4 games max. Don't think that table has been updated since the last round of fixtures. Actually not sure where the final is being played....skea? I heard kinawley being mentioned though.

ExiledGael

Quote from: Tempoman on September 05, 2007, 04:24:21 PM
How the hell do the gaels still have 5 games left to play?? My god, the second division is all wrapped up bar the league final. Do the teams in divsion 1 play that many more games than those in division 2??

What do you think for the championship final??
I'd like to see teemore win. I played football with big quinlan in oz, he's a horse of a man.
Newtown must be the most consistant teams in fermanagh, they are in a final almost every year.
Should be a close one. I wish i was there, but i havent been at a fermanagh championship final for years, where is it being played this year???

Probably in Lisnaskea just for the spectators point of view, that's where it has been in recent years anyway, woeful pitch though. probably suits the two teams as well.

As for the Gaels it's a joke the way they carry on with fixtures, and apparently they've requested, successfully, to have this weekend's game with derrygonnelly also postponed, without having to give a reason. They're arguing about it on Hoganstand too, the situation baffles me to be honest, they're making a balls of the whole division

ExiledGael

Good to have a local player on the board to explain the situation to us exiles. Why are the gaels missing so many players?

FermPundit

Quote from: ExiledGael on September 05, 2007, 06:17:01 PM
Good to have a local player on the board to explain the situation to us exiles. Why are the gaels missing so many players?

There a few reasons why the Gaels are missing so many players but I suppose the simple reason is that the senior team are going though a transitional period. They have won 7 championships in 9 years but the current squad has come to the end of the road. Although Enniskillen is a big town and there is only one GAA club the Gaels have a surprisingly small squad to pick from. Because the senior team was so succesfully over the last decade many players found it difficult to break into the side and grew frustrated and left. The Gaels have also been very unsuccessful at underage level over the last number of years which is now having a knock on effect on the senior team.

If the Gaels are relegated I don't think it would be the end of world for them. They have to begin rebuilding a new squad and begin introducing new players to senior football. It might take a few years but the Gaels will regroup and will be a real force in Fermanagh club football.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

KIDDO

The county final will be at Lisnaskea , on Sunday next at 4pm.

OdoSkimodo

Apologies if that table isn't up to date.

Think enniskillen will probably go down but it is still pretty open and a couple of victories could turn things around dramatically.

I think for the good of club football in Fermanagh the situation in Enniskillen should be looked at. When Enniskillen were winning championship after championship they had a squad capable of producing two good senior division one sides. However, obviously being able to field only one senior team alot of players who were definitely division one standard footballers were left on the sidelines or playing the shambles that is junior football in fermanagh. Alot of these players, through frustration are now lost to the GAA in fermanagh to soccer etc.

Enniskillen really needs another club. I know nothing is likely to be done, understandably the gaels will oppose attempts to set up another club on their turf but Fermanagh football could really do with another quality senior club which i think Enniskillen could provide.

Thats what i think anyway

tintin25

They probably got their match cancelled as they have a Junior semi on Friday night against Kinawley...they have one hell of a junior team though!

FermPundit

Erne Cup Div 2 semi finals

Enniskillen 1-15 Kinawley 0-06

Brookeboro beat Ederney by 7 or 8 points.

ExiledGael

Obviously no Newtown of Teemore men on here. The two sides meet in the SFC final in Skea on Sunday. Newtown have been to most consistent team in the county winning the last three Division One titles in a row but have not lifted the SFC in many years.
They go in without their best player Ryan Carson though some say he will return to action for the final. Teemore are probably favourites and rely on Barry Owens and Hugh Brady around midfield to win ball and Sean Curry and Ciaran O'Reilly up front for scores.
Think this could be the year Newtown make their breakthrough. The tow Johnston brothers and the two Monaghan brothers have been excellent players for a few years now and they deserve a SFC for their trouble.
Can't see any of the two making a real impression in the Ulster series anyhow.

FermPundit

U16 Championship Final

Tempo 3-03 Enniskillen 0-10

Quinn Direct Senior Championship Final

Teemore 0-03 Newtownbutler 2-05

Overall this was a very disappointing game of football played in Lisnaskea today. Newtownbutler played the better football thoughout the game with their goals coming from Daniel O'Keffe and Frank Mulligan. Teemore struggled in all areas of the field. Their big players in Barry Owens and Ciaran O'Reilly were very quiet and they never really got going. The fact that they only scored one point in the second half sums this up. Raymie Johnston was outstanding at midfield today and he was well assisted by Barry Connolly until he got sent off at the beginning of the second half for two bookable offences.

Newtown, who have won the last 3 senior Fermanagh league titles finally delievered in the championship and today they lifted the New York gold cup for the first time since 1997.

FermGael

Firstly fair play to Newtownbulter.  They have been the most consistent team in the county over the last 3 years and fully deserved there victory.
The Johnston brothers were outstanding today and we well backed up by a very hungry and determined Newtownbulter team.
As for the match itself it was an extremly disappointing event.  Teemore manged to score a grand total of 3 points in the whole game and i can only say they choked in yet another county final.  Their big players did not show up, indeed Owens was very lucky to stay on the pitch.  C O'Reilly was dropping back far too deep, so much so the the corner back that was marking him scored 1-01.  You would have to ask questions as to what exactly their tactics were.
Thought that maybe Newtown were going to kick themselves out of it in the second half but once they got the second goal the game was over. 
Do not think that they will do much in the Ulster club but you never know.

Exiled Gael
QuoteBarry Connolly until he got sent off at the beginning of the second half for two bookable offences.
i thought that Barry connolly got a straight red for stamping. 

Some serious questions need to be asked about the setup for todays final.  Firstly why oh why did nobody decide to have a loudspeaker on the stand so that the crowd could here the announcements and the subs.  Only in Fermanagh would this happen.  Was a disgrace to see the twp boys who had one the Scor All-Ireland on the pitch before the senior game and nobody in the stand knew what the county chairman was saying and why the boys were standing there. 
The state of the toilets were a joke. 
And the pitch.  How can any teams be expected to play Gaelic football on a pitch where the bounce can not be trusted.  Was like watching a rugby ball bounce at times.

Heard from a couple of people that O'Rourke has been offered the Fermanagh job but still has not made up his mind yet.
And if he takes the job i hope he can convince Carson to play for the county.  He has all the tools to be an excellent county footballer.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermPundit

After seeing the standard of forward play on show today it doesn't that a genius to work out why O'Rourke may have reservations about accepting the Fermanagh job!

Unfortunately there is a lack of any quality forwards within the county. Carson would be good addition to the squad but hes had his chance in the senior squad before and he didn't make any real impression.

ExiledGael

Carson is perfect for the county if you could get him committed to it all. Just hasn't got the determination needed
O'Keefe, the fella apparently marking O'Reilly must've been impressive. Marking him and still getting forward to score, and good performers?

As for O'Rourke I've heard that story, he has the job if he wants it but still no answer.