Is it accepatble to slap a child?

Yes, why not, they're smaller they can't fight back
Only for Discipline
No, it's Child Abuse
Naughty Step approach

Gnevin

Quote from: Louth Exile on November 13, 2007, 02:17:33 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 13, 2007, 02:03:06 PM
Also how old do you smack till 6 ,8,10 ,15? And what do you do then?

You try hiting a 15 year old, he'll punch back
So how do you punish them ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

pintsofguinness

Gnevin
QuoteI don't agree with extending the punishment over hours let alone day(s) for young kids , if they are bold you deal with it their and then so the know simply the previous action lead to this. FFS if the cats understand when i throw them out not to do what they where doing before a child will easly understand it . Are you telling me a 3 year old cant understand a simple statement but will understand not to hit other kids to punish them like Daddy does?

Louth
QuoteYou try hiting a 15 year old, he'll punch back
I would have got a clip around the ear when I was 15 - after that you're out on your own - parents job should be done.
I think there's an exception with girls though - a father should not be hitting his daughter. 

A 3 year old can understand he got smacked because he done X and can also understand he isn't allowed to hit others. 
He will not understand why he's being punished for something he done yesterday, which to him seems like 12 months ago.

snowedunder
QuoteYou can't give me a resonable example where physical violence on a toddler is justified; it all steems to you being a bully to a small weak human being. you should be ashamed.  By the way as you have no kids I'll tell you it's amazing what a 3 year old understands even a one year old's grasp of things astonishes me.
I'm not advocating physical violence on a toddler. 
Even I have no kids some of your statments makes me think I know a lot more about them.  I've a nephew who just turned 4 and I know he has no concept of time, yesterday seems like weeks ago to him, he rambles about things that happened weeks ago as if they happened 5 minutes ago, if you tell him he has to wait 5 minutes for something you might as well tell him he has to wait hours and if you refused to buy him sweets/let him watch tv over something he done yesterday he would not have a clue what you're talking about and it would cause him a great deal more stress and misery than a slap would.
He has however no difficulty understanding why he gets smacked and that he's not allowed to hit.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Hardy

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 12:54:14 PM
How is a smack the best combination of effectivness and mimimal cruelty for you when you go on to admit it meant nothing to you but a momentary pain. Where as it seems the other forms of punishment made you think as you wanted to avoid them?
IMO Becasue you'd know not to do it again as you didn't want the slap.  It's the long drawn out punishments that cause unnecessary misery.

What he said.

Deiseach - point taken. Of course it was right to remove corporal punishment from the armoury of teachers. Even a 1% incidence of psychopaths is too much risk. Of course, as for all such decisions, the consequences were not exclusively positive.

Snowed Under

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 02:35:10 PM
Gnevin
QuoteI don't agree with extending the punishment over hours let alone day(s) for young kids , if they are bold you deal with it their and then so the know simply the previous action lead to this. FFS if the cats understand when i throw them out not to do what they where doing before a child will easly understand it . Are you telling me a 3 year old cant understand a simple statement but will understand not to hit other kids to punish them like Daddy does?

Louth
I would have got a clip around the ear when I was 15 - after that you're out on your own - parents job should be done.
I think there's an exception with girls though - a father should not be hitting his daughter. 

A 3 year old can understand he got smacked because he done X and can also understand he isn't allowed to hit others. 
He will not understand why he's being punished for something he done yesterday, which to him seems like 12 months ago.

snowedunder
QuoteYou can't give me a resonable example where physical violence on a toddler is justified; it all steems to you being a bully to a small weak human being. you should be ashamed.  By the way as you have no kids I'll tell you it's amazing what a 3 year old understands even a one year old's grasp of things astonishes me.
I'm not advocating physical violence on a toddler. 
Even I have no kids some of your statments makes me think I know a lot more about them.  I've a nephew who just turned 4 and I know he has no concept of time, yesterday seems like weeks ago to him, he rambles about things that happened weeks ago as if they happened 5 minutes ago, if you tell him he has to wait 5 minutes for something you might as well tell him he has to wait hours and if you refused to buy him sweets/let him watch tv over something he done yesterday he would not have a clue what you're talking about and it would cause him a great deal more stress and misery than a slap would.
He has however no difficulty understanding why he gets smacked and that he's not allowed to hit.

You obviously can't read at all - where did this come from whats this about punishing someone for something they did yesterday - I think you have me confused with someone else - reread my posts and btw a 3 year old is a toddler - slapping them is physical violence - you think that is fine - you are advocating physical violence towards a toddler.

pintsofguinness

Aren't you advocating punishment like taking away treats?

Snowed Under

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 02:49:04 PM

Yes but I would give my oldest a treat a day - should that be sweets; allowed to watch a DVD; allowed to stay up late; allowed his favourite tea, all very important things to a young child - if he is bold it is taken away that day - he knows the next day it will happen again if there is a repetition; I never once said about dragging it over days.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Snowed Under on November 13, 2007, 02:52:42 PM

Yes but I would give my oldest a treat a day - should that be sweets; allowed to watch a DVD; allowed to stay up late; allowed his favourite tea, all very important things to a young child - if he is bold it is taken away that day - he knows the next day it will happen again if there is a repetition; I never once said about dragging it over days.
But that's the same thing and my earlier points still stands, you are prolonging the misery. 

Snowed Under

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 02:55:31 PM

But that's the same thing and my earlier points still stands, you are prolonging the misery. 

I'm not physically abusing my child though; as I said a lazy mans and a bullys apprroach - hit them a slap - needs no explaining, no thinking no hard work, slap and walk away.

lfdown2

another qu,

1. did any of ye get slapped as a child by your parents/guardians, and did it do you any harm?
2. do you have any resentment towards the person?

1. Yes , no harm taught me though
2. no way!!

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 02:35:10 PM
Gnevin

Louth

As i said POG they should be punished their and then i don't agree with no sweets at the end of week stuff when the end of the day is like a life time for a kid
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on November 13, 2007, 02:39:56 PM
Of course, as for all such decisions, the consequences were not exclusively positive.

Agreed. There's no getting away from the fact that discipline has gotten worse in schools as a direct result of the removal of corporal punishment. While the teachers unions get into a flap over pay, all the teachers I know (two siblings, one sister-in-law, one cousin, one wife) will tell you that discipline is the biggest issue.

What the answer is . . .

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Snowed Under on November 13, 2007, 03:00:11 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 02:55:31 PM

I'm not physically abusing my child though; as I said a lazy mans and a bullys apprroach - hit them a slap - needs no explaining, no thinking no hard work, slap and walk away.
Well if you're happy saying "i'm not physically abusing my child" fair enough but you are prolonging his misery and taking away things from him that you should be enjoying with him. 

1. did any of ye get slapped as a child by your parents/guardians, and did it do you any harm?
2. do you have any resentment towards the person?
1. Yeah and deserved every one, not a bit of harm done.
2. No

heganboy

Im looking forward to receiving the GAAboard's guide to parenting for Christmas.

Pre-parenthood I was the idealist, now everything depends on the situation. you learn with your children as they grow, sometimes you have to decide based on their mood what is going to be the most effective way of dealing with any situation. Its not easy...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

deiseach

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 03:11:02 PM
1. Yeah and deserved every one, not a bit of harm done.

Everyone here would beg to differ.

I jest. I jest because I care.