American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I thought these facts were very good. We thought Tipp and Galway were close in the hurling!

The Packers have played the Bears 194 times. It's currently 94 wins each, with 6 ties. Tonight will probably see someone take the lead.

Not only that, but in the 194 games played so far, the Packers hold an aggregate lead of 4 points! 3335 to 3331.

magpie seanie

They're ahead overall now. That was brutal. Expected more of a fight from da Bears but I guess you can't go anywhere with a QB giving the ball away 3 times in the first half. I expect Trubisky to start the next game. Even if he turns the ball over as much as Glennon (which I don't think he will) he still gives Chicago a better chance of winning games as he's more mobile and a better thrower. Not all Glennon's fault though. Thought the first play called was daft (Glennon made it worse by not accepting the sack or getting rid of the ball) and set the tone for the game. Lot of dropped passes too. Defence should have got more pressure on Rodgers with that patched up o-line.

Trevathan's hit on Adams was awful, expect he'll get suspended. Clinton Dix (I think) did a bad one in the first half on one of the Bears receivers (Thompson maybe). These hits to the head need to stop.

AZOffaly

I just watched the condensed game there on gamepass. Was it me, or did the Bears give up completely in the 4th quarter? I don't think they used any timeouts, and basically went into lead protection mode, running the ball and the clock. The TD they got took 9 minutes off the clock!

Did they just not want to risk Glennon giving another one away I wonder?

Normally in that situation you see the chasing team throwing all over the field, and then the leading team going conservative.

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 29, 2017, 08:23:37 AM
They're ahead overall now. That was brutal. Expected more of a fight from da Bears but I guess you can't go anywhere with a QB giving the ball away 3 times in the first half. I expect Trubisky to start the next game. Even if he turns the ball over as much as Glennon (which I don't think he will) he still gives Chicago a better chance of winning games as he's more mobile and a better thrower. Not all Glennon's fault though. Thought the first play called was daft (Glennon made it worse by not accepting the sack or getting rid of the ball) and set the tone for the game. Lot of dropped passes too. Defence should have got more pressure on Rodgers with that patched up o-line.

Trevathan's hit on Adams was awful, expect he'll get suspended. Clinton Dix (I think) did a bad one in the first half on one of the Bears receivers (Thompson maybe). These hits to the head need to stop.

Business as usual with the Packers and the bears, they bears get humped at home and away during the Rodgers era and mostly in the Favre era as well, good enough for them, their qbs are dogshit and have been for decades.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

TabClear

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 29, 2017, 09:15:40 AM
I just watched the condensed game there on gamepass. Was it me, or did the Bears give up completely in the 4th quarter? I don't think they used any timeouts, and basically went into lead protection mode, running the ball and the clock. The TD they got took 9 minutes off the clock!

Normally in that situation you see the chasing team throwing all over the field, and then the leading team going conservative.

I thought that as well.  Bears were absolutely dreadful in every area.  Pass protection for the touchdowns was pathetic. Brutal hit by Ttevsthan. Commentators were really worried for the receiver which is never a good sign.

Syferus

Not a bad performance from Cam yesterday, gallsman..

AZOffaly

Alabama are unreal. Looks like it's going to be Clemson, Alabama, TCU or Oklahoma and one of Penn State, Ohio State or Michigan in the final four, unless the Big 12 or Big 10 teams eat each other, and Georgia put it up to Alabama.

Auburn have rebounded nicely Syf.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 02, 2017, 03:24:05 PM
Alabama are unreal. Looks like it's going to be Clemson, Alabama, TCU or Oklahoma and one of Penn State, Ohio State or Michigan in the final four, unless the Big 12 or Big 10 teams eat each other, and Georgia put it up to Alabama.

Auburn have rebounded nicely Syf.

The offense looked good against Miss State but they have had serious problems themselves. Ole Miss at home next week looks very winnable too, but with Georgia and Bama arriving for the season defining games next month and with both looking very good it's going to take something special to put a dent in them. About the best thing to be said is they both have to travel to Jordan-Hare.

Shaun White, the backup QB, was suspended for the first two games and then thrown off the team for being drunk and disorderly in public about two weeks ago, meaning both last year's QBs - JF3 and White - are gone and it's Stidham or bust now. Something weird is happening with Kamryn Pettway too, he was the feature back heading into the season but a heel injury has limited him massively.

magpie seanie

Quote from: TabClear on September 29, 2017, 06:37:38 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 29, 2017, 09:15:40 AM

I thought that as well.  Bears were absolutely dreadful in every area.  Pass protection for the touchdowns was pathetic. Brutal hit by Ttevsthan. Commentators were really worried for the receiver which is never a good sign.

Missed the initial post by AZ. Yeah. Seemed like they just wanted to get the f**k out of dodge. They have basically no decent wide receivers so best chance of saving the defence, who are relatively decent, was probably to try and kill some clock. Trubisky starting the next day and he simply cannot be worse than Glennon. Signing Glennon is one of the more inexplicable moves I can remember. Kaepernick for example is a better QB by miles (at least he can run). Not sure whether Trubisky is the answer but he's got the gig now.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on October 02, 2017, 03:21:23 PM
Not a bad performance from Cam yesterday, gallsman..

Yeah, he looked pretty spectacular against the worst defense in the league alright.

AZOffaly

I'm sure that's not the way he meant it.

magpie seanie

AZOffaly

I listened to it again. I'm sure he was just comparing it to his day to day QB and WRs room where they talk about Routes all day, with other players and coaches, and it sounded odd coming from a woman. But man, even in that sense giving him the benefit of the doubt it sounds stupid. She's a professional reporter, in the NFL. Why wouldn't she talk about routes and route running?

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 05, 2017, 11:55:55 AM
I listened to it again. I'm sure he was just comparing it to his day to day QB and WRs room where they talk about Routes all day, with other players and coaches, and it sounded odd coming from a woman. But man, even in that sense giving him the benefit of the doubt it sounds stupid. She's a professional reporter, in the NFL. Why wouldn't she talk about routes and route running?

Exactly. It's not like there are very few female sports reporters.