Kielty getting rave reviews for his performance in A Night in November

Started by T Fearon, August 09, 2007, 10:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Heard a glowing review on Dougie Marshall's show on Downtown Radio this morning of young Kielty's acting debut in the Night in November play (the theme of which is sectarianism at Windsor Park). It is fair to say Dougie (A Londoner by the way)was literally raving about him. saying he should be waking up this morning very happy and proud.

Hope he takes this play on tour to Dublin, London's West End etc. A few memories definitely need refreshing ;D

Evil Genius

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

T Fearon

I have already seen it and frankly don't need to see a drama to educate myself about sectarianism at Windsor Park which I have witnessed first hand on many occasions ;)

GalwayBayBoy

I know people who went to it last night. They seemed to enjoy it anyway.

They are going thermo-nuclear about it over on OWC.

So much anger over there these days.

SammyG

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 09, 2007, 06:29:16 PM
They must be easily pleased.
???

supersarsfields

Actually went to see it last nite. And I can understand why they weren't happy. It does paint a very NI bad ROI good picture. All in all I found it very funny as it did poke the fun at both sides at times. But I can def see why OWC are so annoyed about it!!

Main Street

Thats my 3rd thread I have read there.
Some humourless bitter dickheads in deep denial.
Although humour can be found. There was an indirect reference in one post to a NI catholic attending WP that night and the automatic assumption in the next post was that the catholic was there to support the Republic.

The vast majority have not seen it, one poster gets pillered for booking tickets just to find out what it was about.

One poster admitted that there was widespread bigotry and sectarianism there that night and very honestly said that he participated, much to his deep shame or regret now.
An interesting irony.

Anyone remember Dermot Morgan coming on every week on some RTE light entertainment show and being like a savage lunatic acting out some neanderthal GAA bigot waving his hurley stick?
Hilarious stuff.
I think that that image was the foundation stone of his career.

SammyG

Quote from: Main Street on August 09, 2007, 09:22:11 PM
Thats my 3rd thread I have read there.
Some humourless bitter dickheads in deep denial.

Any particular posters that you think are 'in denial'?
Although humour can be found. There was an indirect reference in one post to a NI catholic attending WP that night and the automatic assumption in the next post was that the catholic was there to support the Republic.
???
The vast majority have not seen it, one poster gets pillered for booking tickets just to find out what it was about.
Are you sure?
One poster admitted that there was widespread bigotry and sectarianism there that night and very honestly said that he participated, much to his deep shame or regret now.
An interesting irony.
Only one?

ONeill

I think that's the first time I've been on OWC in two years - in order to read the thread on Kielty - and it had me in absolute stitches for an hour or so. Lads, you should read it, especially when it gets to the stage when they discover the IFA have advertised the show on their website. Priceless stuff. I posted the link to a Premier League forum and they're in bits.

Jones should make a play based on that thread. A cyber-night in August.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stiffler

Quote from: ONeill on August 09, 2007, 10:13:24 PM
I think that's the first time I've been on OWC in two years - in order to read the thread on Kielty - and it had me in absolute stitches for an hour or so. Lads, you should read it, especially when it gets to the stage when they discover the IFA have advertised the show on their website. Priceless stuff. I posted the link to a Premier League forum and they're in bits.

Jones should make a play based on that thread. A cyber-night in August.

;D
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

T Fearon

Shane, that almost made me laugh, keep trying!

Really that thread would make one despair. The continual denial of the events of that night, far less any significant humility and apology, doesn't augur well for a successful Football for All Campaign (as opposed to the current sham one). Do these twats not ever combine to use their minimal brain cells and wonder why young players en masse are queueing up to declare for FAI teams?

SammyG

Quote from: T Fearon on August 10, 2007, 10:41:53 AM
Shane, that almost made me laugh, keep trying!

Really that thread would make one despair. The continual denial of the events of that night, far less any significant humility and apology, doesn't augur well for a successful Football for All Campaign (as opposed to the current sham one).
Can you please point out the 'continual denial' on the thread (even a couple of examples will do as I have read the thread and haven't seen any)
Quote from: T Fearon on August 10, 2007, 10:41:53 AM
Do these twats not ever combine to use their minimal brain cells and wonder why young players en masse are queueing up to declare for FAI teams?
Sorry 3 players declared none of whom have actually played for the RoI, hardly 'en masse'? Given the number of English players in the RoI setup you could use your argument to say that English players are queuing up 'en masse' to play for the RoI but that would be just as nonsensical.

Main Street

denial eg post 165
"In what way do you think that repeating a load of lies and stereotypes, which weren't even true when the play was written, is going to help people to understand 'what a great place Windsor is to be now'?"

followed up by
No denial in post 165 who in no way is championing the play

"as someone who was there and, I am ashamed to say, indulged in certain chanting that now makes me cringe I hope the revisionists don't win out - there was widespread racist and sectarian chanting - end of."

T Fearon

Sammy what we need to see is a full acceptance that on that shameful night, the following occured

1.The worst scenes of sectarianism , engaged in by the majority of the crowd,at any sporting event ever in this island

2. Shouts of Trick and Treat continually heard.

If this is humbly and unanimously acknowledged by OWC, as opposed to being blamed on a so called small minority, Rangers Fans, visitors from outer space, then we might, just might start to get somewhere.