Amateurism

Started by armaghniac, June 29, 2007, 11:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

The discussion on the Jack O'Connor thread raises the issue of amateurism.

I actually think that the substitute teacher model is appropriate. I don't think GAA players etc should be paid. However there are real demands on their time at the top level. I'd like to see a situation where a player would get another 2 weeks (or whatever) paid holiday from his job, This could be sponsored by the employer or the GAA could pay for it. This approach would keep clear which is the job and which is the recreation and would not mean players would get different amounts depending on their county etc. Of course you could argue that paying for a doctor to get a weeks off might be more expensive than paying for some other job, but this is how it is every week. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Lecale2

What if you're self employed?

GalwaySham

QuoteThis could be sponsored by the employer or the GAA could pay for it.

Some jobs would just be too under resourced to do this as well

Muzz

How would you feel if your kid was in school and 14 days of the year the teacher takes off a Friday because he has a football match up and coming. 

I agree to a point that players should be payed for any losses that they incur.  To say paid to play is a different idea. 

The money the GAA receives from our gate receipts is too high for the players not to get compensated.  There has to be a way of distrubing this revenue to those we pay to see. 

When the current crop of stars playing inter-county football first picked up a ball they didnt want paid to play.  They played the game because of the love for the GAA.  Now we are getting to the stage god forbid where players are going to refuse to play unless they get paid.  Sad day for the GAA.

GalwaySham

If GAA ever did go professional, Would it be possible to stop transfers? Or would this be a must because of some law???

Gnevin

Quote from: GalwaySham on June 29, 2007, 01:36:00 PM
If GAA ever did go professional, Would it be possible to stop transfers? Or would this be a must because of some law???
Soccer internationals are paid and arent free to move i'm sure the GAA could work around it . Not that i'm for it
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Long time dead

Quote from: 5iveTimes on June 29, 2007, 12:29:44 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on June 29, 2007, 11:50:26 AM
What if you're self employed?

Then the GAA should pay.

Pay what - if you are self employed and take a few weeks of your customer will go elsewhere.

armaghniac

QuotePay what - if you are self employed and take a few weeks of your customer will go elsewhere.

this may be happening already for some players anyway, better they get paid for the week.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B