Dublin v Kerry 2023 Senior All Ireland final

Started by Blowitupref, July 16, 2023, 07:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whishtup

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 30, 2023, 09:39:41 PM
The tradition of playing All Ireland Minor finals before senior finals replaced by a bit of music.  The Stunning today in front of empty Croke Park.

I'd like to see the ladies final on the same day. This ear would  have been ideal if they had lined it up.

Wildweasel74

What was on before this game today? E80/90 euro for 1 game ridiculous, even if there was a minor game on before it.

tbrick18

Quote from: guevara on July 30, 2023, 09:33:58 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 30, 2023, 09:20:03 PM
Quote from: guevara on July 30, 2023, 08:25:56 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 30, 2023, 07:21:32 PM
On balance, Dublin deserved to win that game.
Clifford really didn't have his best game but still set up the goal.
Personally I thought it was an average enough game in terms of quality.
If it had been 2 ulster teams serving up that match the state of gaelic football is probably the only thing that would be mentioned.
It was exciting in terms of how close it was, but it was a game of 2 defences in my view. Both defences did really well and the turnovers at both ends supports that.
But in terms of attacking flair, I thought it was quite flat.

Some achievement for the dubs, 9 ai medals is unbelievable.

How did Dublin "deserve" to win exactly? Kerry were wasteful yes but if your telling me David Gough did not have influence over that 2 point margin then we must have watched different games.

People give off about The JP McManus money in Limerick!  Dublin have benefited from favoutism from The GAA for years before you even take into account that their "in house" referee just also happens to be the All-Ireland Final Ref? As a neutral it's embarassing that we as an organisation look down upon other sporting codes  & claim some sort of Amateur Sporting superiority.

Dublin have had more than a helping hand from headquarters in recent years.

Deserved because I feel they played better and their subs had more of an impact than the Kerry subs.
They also kept the best player of all time shackled.

I thought gough did a good job.  All the big calls right. Yellows when deserved. Didn't miss any obvious blacks.
Prob a few mistakes for frees but not favouring any team.
So I'm not sure what game you watched..

If Clifford had played like that against derry, we'd have easily made the final.

I watched the game were James McCarthy gave away blatant free after blatant free yet went unpunished in terms of the rules of the game. I watched the game were the same player made deliberate contact with opponents faces on multiple plays yet somehow only managed to end with a single yellow card.

I watched from the Hogan as Clifford was dragged and fouled all day yet the one time he is awareded a free inside he is also booked.

Gough won it for The Dubs & was more blatantly obvious than previous years. Its not a level playing field when you get Dublin in the latter stages.

I think you've got kerry blinkers on there chap, no harm.
I've no skin in the game, there was as much from one side as there was the other.
Kerry are hardly shrinking violets, look what the did to Shane mcguigan in the sf for example. They also had a very favorable ref in the sf. But the ref didn't win the game for them against derry and he didn't win it for Dublin today either.
The losing of the game was a mistake that led to a Dublin goal, Clifford missing a number of scorable kicks and not passing when he should have and kerry not pushing on when they were 3 up.

I'll not argue about Dublin having an unfair advantage every year, every game a home game and arguably more finance than every other county and certainly a larger pick than every other county.
But it's still 15 v15 on the field.
Kerry have a handy run every year to a qf or sf, so it's a bit rich to hear about Dublin having advantages over kerry. Lol.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Whishtup on July 30, 2023, 10:02:44 PM
The tradition of playing All Ireland Minor finals before senior finals replaced by a bit of music.  The Stunning today in front of empty Croke Park.

I'd like to see the ladies final on the same day. This ear would  have been ideal if they had lined it up.

No - Ladies Finals Day is Ladies Finals Day. Senior, Intermediate and Junior. It's the day to celebrate Ladies Football and does not need to be diluted by the Mens game.

Blowitupref

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 30, 2023, 09:24:55 PM
In terms of coverage, I gave up on rte this year as pundits were poor and commentary just a rehashed cliche followed by another.
Bbc by far had much better standard of coverage all year.....until today.
What sort of sh*te was that?
The whole thing was geared for the dumb English viewer who had never seen gaelic football before.
Really annoying.
And Philly mcmahon couldn't be listened to.
The panel were a bit too "isn't this great" for my liking too.
All seemed geared for the UK audience and not the rest of us who watch all year.

Poor showing for the ai final imo.

Switched over to RTE for the 2nd half. Ridiculous what BBC was at in the build up to the match and during it.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

guevara

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 30, 2023, 10:04:59 PM
If it had been 2 ulster teams serving up that match the state of gaelic football is probably the only thing that would be mentioned.
It was exciting in terms of how close it was, but it was a game of 2 defences in my view. Both defences did really well and the turnovers at both ends supports that.

How did Dublin "deserve" to win exactly? Kerry were wasteful yes but if your telling me David Gough did not have influence over that 2 point margin then we must have watched different games.

People give off about The JP McManus money in Limerick!  Dublin have benefited from favoutism from The GAA for years before you even take into account that their "in house" referee just also happens to be the All-Ireland Final Ref? As a neutral it's embarassing that we as an organisation look down upon other sporting codes  & claim some sort of Amateur Sporting superiority.

Deserved because I feel they played better and their subs had more of an impact than the Kerry subs.

I thought gough did a good job.  All the big calls right. Yellows when deserved. Didn't miss any obvious blacks.

If Clifford had played like that against derry, we'd have easily made the final.

I watched the game were James McCarthy gave away blatant free after blatant free yet went unpunished in terms of the rules of the game. I watched the game were the same player made deliberate contact with opponents faces on multiple plays yet somehow only managed to end with a single yellow card.

I watched from the Hogan as Clifford was dragged and fouled all day yet the one time he is awareded a free inside he is also booked.

Gough won it for The Dubs & was more blatantly obvious than previous years. Its not a level playing field when you get Dublin in the latter stages.

I've no skin in the game, there was as much from one side as there was the other.
Kerry are hardly shrinking violets, look what the did to Shane mcguigan in the sf for example. They also had a very favorable ref in the sf. But the ref didn't win the game for them against derry and he didn't win it for Dublin today either.
The losing of the game was a mistake that led to a Dublin goal, Clifford missing a number of scorable kicks and not passing when he should have and kerry not pushing on when they were 3 up.

I'll not argue about Dublin having an unfair advantage every year, every game a home game and arguably more finance than every other county and certainly a larger pick than every other county.
Kerry have a handy run every year to a qf or sf, so it's a bit rich to hear about Dublin having advantages over kerry. Lol.

So your counter argument is to bring up decisions and a Ref in a previous game "Chap"?

If you think McCarthy was not favourably allowed to remain on the field of play in contradition of the rules of the game then you are the one with blinkers on.

"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on July 30, 2023, 09:27:03 PM
It's simple , everybody has been saying the same thing for the past few years and we were proven right today

Take D Clifford out of that Kerry team and they have very little firepower and rely on individual brilliance to get scores.

If he has an off day / isn't playing, they're ordinary

The defences were brilliant today but that's as soft an all Ireland as I've seen in a long time

Feels like Sam is there for the taking. Dublin and Kerry are by no means way ahead of the rest,

Take any, any marquee forward from a team or reduce him to 6 points and you won't do well.. why anyone thinks differently is delusional
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on July 30, 2023, 09:59:16 PM
Very nervy and average final... maybe Derry would have been the same but very disappointed after that.

Brolly reckons Shane McGuigan wouldn't have got in the Dublin FF line... they scored 2 points from play today!

Mcguigan has had a better year than any forward on the pitch today bar Clifford. It's laughable to think he wouldn't be starting on either team today.

thewobbler

Gough was seriously consistent.

McCarthy could have walked.

But giving Clifford and Fitzsimmons both yellow cards for nothingness was more than an equaliser. The gun forward of all time entering the final 10 mins knowing he's one possession away from his marker being sent off.

Add it up.

Blaming a ref for anything today is beyond sour.

Wildweasel74

I suppose if Clifford was in another top 8 team they be well in with a shout to.

Whishtup

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2023, 10:06:37 PM

No - Ladies Finals Day is Ladies Finals Day. Senior, Intermediate and Junior. It's the day to celebrate Ladies Football and does not need to be diluted by the Mens game.
Would be interesting to get a take on it from a female intercounty player. I was at ladies final day a few years back and found it too long with the 3 matches. Could do senior with the men's. Those finals are usually cracking games too. I'd like to see it if there was an appetite from the ladies themselves.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Whishtup on July 30, 2023, 10:41:50 PM

Would be interesting to get a take on it from a female intercounty player. I was at ladies final day a few years back and found it too long with the 3 matches. Could do senior with the men's. Those finals are usually cracking games too. I'd like to see it if there was an appetite from the ladies themselves.

There is a transient audience on Ladies All Ireland Finals day. Fans are coming and going.  You take away the Senior Final and the other Finals fall on their face and there is no Intermediate or Junior Finals in Croke Park.

restorepride

Afraid not.  David Clifford made many more mistakes than Gough. 

tbrick18

Quote from: guevara on July 30, 2023, 10:20:52 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 30, 2023, 10:04:59 PM

So your counter argument is to bring up decisions and a Ref in a previous game "Chap"?

If you think McCarthy was not favourably allowed to remain on the field of play in contradition of the rules of the game then you are the one with blinkers on.

Chill out chap.
Mccarthy could have got the line for persistent fouling, but kerry play on the line are just as guilty of similar rough house tactics so sometimes you have to take your medicine.

Kerry lost that game on their own and will feel they left enough opportunities behind them to have won it.
Dublin played better, subs had more of an impact and they took more of the opportunities for scores. Heard a stat that kerry hit 9 from 19 at some point. Can't blame the ref for that.

Whishtup

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2023, 10:45:33 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on July 30, 2023, 10:41:50 PM

There is a transient audience on Ladies All Ireland Finals day. Fans are coming and going.  You take away the Senior Final and the other Finals fall on their face and there is no Intermediate or Junior Finals in Croke Park.
Good point.Could maybe backfill with minors or tailteann final. Probably never happen but I like the idea of it.