Ireland the New Middle East??

Started by thejuice, May 22, 2007, 03:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tayto

Sher you wouldnt want to mind the Wolf Tones.

I never knew a rock had to be lived on to be classed as an island, all a bit bizare really, still a massive fudge all the same.

thejuice

OK, so this thread is going totally off topic. I was hoping to talk about what this might mean for the future of the Irish economy. €450 billion thats an unbelievable amount of money. How would it be best for the irish government to go about making the most of this. Could it really help make the west a more affluent place do you think?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Evil Genius

Quote from: thejuice on May 23, 2007, 11:44:35 AM
OK, so this thread is going totally off topic. I was hoping to talk about what this might mean for the future of the Irish economy. €450 billion thats an unbelievable amount of money. How would it be best for the irish government to go about making the most of this. Could it really help make the west a more affluent place do you think?

It is hardly off-topic to point out that even if there is oil off Rockall and it is economically recoverable, it still has to be determined who actually owns the rights to it before it will transform anyone's national economy (including the Irish Republic's).

At the last count, four independant nations consider they have a valid claim; if oil is found, it shouldn't be too surprising if that number is added to!
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: thejuice on May 23, 2007, 11:44:35 AM

sounds great
if as straightforward as it seems then it could be worth a lot to the country and especially the west
The western airports of shannona nd knock will take on a new lease of life! plus the boos to the local economy would be great.

But is it that straight forward?
I think I heard about this before, but the oil/gas fields were very hard to get at - located in deep waters and very deep down.
The cost of extraction was very high.
Plus if you have other countries claiming ownership rights purely based on the fact that they know there is valuable resourses based there, then legal battles will ensue which guarantees that this wont be resolved for a long long time.
if ever

hope if this is true though, that it will be a boost to the local economy!
(and not given away)

armaghniac

QuoteAt the last count, four independant nations consider they have a valid claim; if oil is found, it shouldn't be too surprising if that number is added to!

I am sure Alex Salmond would be interested in this, but when Scotland becomes independent, whatever is left of Britain wouldn't have a claim.

QuoteIt was our Convicts we traditionally sent to Australia, so perhaps you mean Sinn Fein?

Evil Genuis, in this new era of equality surely we need to deport some of the DUP to Australia to ensure a proper balance there, given that so much government money has been spent in the past transporting taigs.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lynchbhoy

Quote from: armaghniac on May 23, 2007, 12:14:41 PM
QuoteAt the last count, four independant nations consider they have a valid claim; if oil is found, it shouldn't be too surprising if that number is added to!

I am sure Alex Salmond would be interested in this, but when Scotland becomes independent, whatever is left of Britain wouldn't have a claim.

QuoteIt was our Convicts we traditionally sent to Australia, so perhaps you mean Sinn Fein?

Evil Genuis, in this new era of equality surely we need to deport some of the DUP to Australia to ensure a proper balance there, given that so much government money has been spent in the past transporting taigs.
leave it out armaghmaniac
we all know who the villans were(are) but as they no longer have the same power (and are trying to repent to be seen as moderates and decents before the UI comes into play) then theres no point in being triumphalist in pointing out such obv things!
;)