Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

easytiger95

The point being that we don't want to alienate them. As yes voters we can only look after are own reactions and triumphalism is a bad look, especially around this issue.

Syferus

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 25, 2018, 10:29:51 PM
The point being that we don't want to alienate them. As yes voters we can only look after are own reactions and triumphalism is a bad look, especially around this issue.

There will be an absolutely natural outpouring of emotion by Yes voters this weekend, I know women who have campaigned for this day since they were fifteen years old. They've travelled a long, long road to this moment.

easytiger95

You'd start a fight in an empty room. This vote removes an obstacle but it only the start of what will be an always evolving legislative process. As America shows, reproductive rights can always be rolled back. We should always be looking to bring as many people with us as possible, because whilst the constitutional issue is settled for now, the type of abortion regime we have can always be amended under law. The champagne corks can pop all weekend (as they should) but the struggle will still continue Monday.

sid waddell

Wonderful result.

68-32 was beyond anybody's wildest expectations.

I'm thrilled for the women of Ireland and thrilled that the people of Ireland saw through the disgusting, horrible No campaign in such numbers. 

The Ireland that is thankfully gone imagined itself above all as simple, religious and God-fearing in opposition to cruel, Godless England. In reality Ireland was the much crueller place. 

As England threatens to fall into the depths of intolerance and foolishly looks backward, we are now very much the ones looking forward - liberal, tolerant, outward looking, internationalist, welcoming.

We've come of age as a country in so many respects over the last few years.

We can improve in so many more, but overall, we're not a bad little place, really.

David McKeown

Quote from: sid waddell on May 25, 2018, 10:55:20 PM
Wonderful result.

I'm thrilled for the women of Ireland and thrilled that the people of Ireland saw through the disgusting, horrible No campaign in such numbers. 

The Ireland that is thankfully gone imagined itself above all as simple, religious and God-fearing in opposition to cruel, Godless England. In reality Ireland was the much crueller place. 

As England threatens to fall into the depths of intolerance and foolishly looks backward, we are now very much the ones looking forward - liberal, tolerant, outward looking, internationalist, welcoming.

We can improve in so many more, but overall, we're not a bad little place, really.

Whilst i don't entirely disagree i spent the last week in Kilkenny which is the first time I've spent more than a weekend in the south since Brexit and I have to say i got a real undertone from everyone i spoke to that Ireland was a 26 county country that whilst not hostile to Nordies or foreigners was not particularly welcoming to them either.  Numerous people would speak to me with occasional lines such as well in this country x happens or i don't know about your country but we Irish like Y with the clear implication that as I was from Armagh i wasn't as Irish as them and that those who weren't born and bred in the 26 weren't as Irish as them.  A few of my friends had spoken to me previously about similar experiences over the last year or two in other counties. So I am not entirely sure the country is as internationalist or welcoming as it was a few years ago  Perhaps I'm just paranoid though
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Syferus

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 25, 2018, 10:53:39 PM
You'd start a fight in an empty room. This vote removes an obstacle but it only the start of what will be an always evolving legislative process. As America shows, reproductive rights can always be rolled back. We should always be looking to bring as many people with us as possible, because whilst the constitutional issue is settled for now, the type of abortion regime we have can always be amended under law. The champagne corks can pop all weekend (as they should) but the struggle will still continue Monday.

There is chance of exactly 0% that the Dail doesn't vote in the proposed legislation when 70% of the electorate endorsed it. That would be a super-majority with little precedence in general election terms. If you think they're going to risk pissing off that many people you don't know what sort of rats make the calls in those parties. They vote on what is going to make them most attractive to voters - it's damn well clear what that is now. Don't try to create drama where there is none.

Gabriel_Hurl

easytiger95

You are completely missing the point. The campaign to undermine Roe v Wade in the US has been 30 years in the making, with numerous states stripping back reproductive rights as far as they can without running afoul of the constitution. The addition of another conservative to the supreme court in trumps next years will undoubtedly lead to an attempt to overturn roe v Wade.
To safeguard these hard won rights we should realise that a polarised society is fertile ground for these roll backs. The legislation proposed will pass, but if reaching out a hand in conciliation does anything to ward off a long term insurgency, than it will be worth it. So it is good manners and good policy. Better policy than thinking the world is made anew now, for ever and for good. Amendments can always be proposed again to the constitution.

Syferus

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 25, 2018, 11:30:22 PM
You are completely missing the point. The campaign to undermine Roe v Wade in the US has been 30 years in the making, with numerous states stripping back reproductive rights as far as they can without running afoul of the constitution. The addition of another conservative to the supreme court in trumps next years will undoubtedly lead to an attempt to overturn roe v Wade.
To safeguard these hard won rights we should realise that a polarised society is fertile ground for these roll backs. The legislation proposed will pass, but if reaching out a hand in conciliation does anything to ward off a long term insurgency, than it will be worth it. So it is good manners and good policy. Better policy than thinking the world is made anew now, for ever and for good. Amendments can always be proposed again to the constitution.

This isn't America, and nor was Roe v. Wade a popular endorsement of abortion rights, it was a court case decided by a handful of judges. Look at other European countries and tell me there has been meaningful rowing back once this rubicon was crossed. You don't come back from a 40 point deficit with a strong hand to play when trying to force concessions.

easytiger95

At the time of roe v wade and into the late 70s abortion was a settled issue in American life. There was broad bi partisan support for some form of reproductive rights.
The roll back began with the rise of the evangelical right. So despite the fact that abortion still commands a majority of public support, a zealous minority are now seriously threatening its continuation in the states.
So, there is no drama here, or panic. Just three observations
1. Those who voted no legitimately participated in our democracy, and it is good manners and policy to make sure that we continually try to persuade them of the validity of our arguments in the future.
2. A committed 30 percent, or even fewer, can still effectively stymie the wishes of the majority, as America teaches us. If you think we are immune to that happening here, you have obviously missed the importation of US style dark money and social media tactics during this and other referendums..Just because they didn't work this time, does not mean they won't be tried again.
3. Learn how to take yes for an answer. I am clearly talking about a much longer term situation than the immediate passing of the promised legislation, so please, crack open a beer, have a sip, and give the arguments a rest for a night.

Sweet dreams.

BennyCake

Wonderful result.

Is that your speech for when you enter Miss World?

Syferus

Quote from: BennyCake on May 26, 2018, 12:33:52 AM
Wonderful result.

For someone who tries to make one line quips a lot I'm amazed at how poor all of them are.

sid waddell

Quote from: BennyCake on May 26, 2018, 12:33:52 AM
Wonderful result.

Funny you mention Miss World.

We heard plenty of interventions from men in dresses over the course of the campaign, and they were all on the No side. But Ireland pays no heed to the clergy anymore.

We had an intervention last night from men in sashes. And it's no surprise to see the likes of you hand in glove with the Orange Order.

Backward morons like you and your ilk been have been fooking routed in Ireland today, and the only thing that can rival the joy at this result is the hilarity that the likes of you have been driven up the wall with rage at it.

Don't worry - there's a crumb of comfort for you, in that belief in a flat earth is increasing - so if that's anything to go by, you may have a chance to vote on this issue again!

sid waddell

One thing that was proved beyond doubt today is that the so called "silent majority" were anything but silent, and very, very far from a majority.

Let's hope this is the end of the I Own Her "Institute", the Life "Institute" and all the other fake "institutes" set up by the fundamentalist Catholic reactionary right.

The influence they've had in Irish media over the last two decades has been a very unfunny joke, given that they're a tiny, fringe group pushing extremist views.

The word "Institute" conjures up images of a place of learning. In reality these entities foment extreme ignorance. "Institution" would be a much more accurate description for them, as in asylum - which is ironic given the shameful way they denigrate mental health as something that genuinely affects people.

Dolph1

Ashamed to call myself irish today after seeing the expected result

May god have mercy on those who voted yes. Let the era of no personal responsibility commence. Look at the utopia Britain has become.
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again