Derry Girls - Channel 4

Started by longballin, January 04, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avondhu star

Quote from: armaghniac on January 05, 2018, 01:01:21 PM
Quote from: Targetman on January 05, 2018, 12:46:50 PM
I wonder did the boul Gregory watch it?

He'll probably be putting a question in Westminster as to why it isn't called Londonderry girls.
And hopefully the Speaker will tell him to f**k off
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

snoopdog

Quote from: Longshanks on January 05, 2018, 08:47:20 AM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 05, 2018, 08:43:46 AM
Good auld show.

Will watch the rest

Not surprised by the reaction on here, gaaboard full of middle aged mid life crisis men who distain everything  :D

Nail on head!
I'm one of those aul fellas but I enjoyed it. Stupid but funny.

Rois

Agree with some sentiments on here - worth a giggle and brings back a few memories. I went to an all girls convent school and a lone fella joined at one stage. Yes, stupid, and yes, exaggerated, but it wasn't supposed to be a serious docudrama about Derry. The grandfather's funny.

omagh_gael

I have to say I enjoyed it, first 10 minutes were dodgy enough but the Michelle character (I think that's her name) definitely tied it all together.

However, wtf is up with thon girl's accent? Horrendous effort that sounds like she's 80 and has smoked 40 fags a day!

trileacman

Quote from: Rois on January 05, 2018, 10:40:14 PM
Agree with some sentiments on here - worth a giggle and brings back a few memories. I went to an all girls convent school and a lone fella joined at one stage. Yes, stupid, and yes, exaggerated, but it wasn't supposed to be a serious docudrama about Derry. The grandfather's funny.

I was pleasantly surprised. Didn't expect much and the first few comments here were pretty scathing but I like the idiot girl and Michelle, good characters. I thought the lone fella joining was the most unbelievable part of it, obviously I haven't a clue!  ;D just out of interest what was the scenario that caused one lad to join an all girls school??
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ziggysego

Quote from: trileacman on January 06, 2018, 02:11:22 PM
I thought the lone fella joining was the most unbelievable part of it, obviously I haven't a clue!  ;D just out of interest what was the scenario that caused one lad to join an all girls school??

As Sister Michael said,  "There were serious concerns for his safety because, well, unfortunately James happens to be English."

I enjoyed Derry Girls. A funny wee sitcom, with a side ways look of growing up in the north during the early 90s. I like that while the Troubles is referenced throughout, it's not the focus and with the humour we grew up with.

Love the Derry lingo.

Testing Accessibility

longballin

Just watched entire episode... I was a bit hasty writing it off after ten minutes... not bad and has a few laughs.

trileacman

Quote from: ziggysego on January 06, 2018, 04:30:07 PM
I thought the lone fella joining was the most unbelievable part of it, obviously I haven't a clue!  ;D just out of interest what was the scenario that caused one lad to join an all girls school??

As Sister Michael said,  "There were serious concerns for his safety because, well, unfortunately James happens to be English."

I enjoyed Derry Girls. A funny wee sitcom, with a side ways look of growing up in the north during the early 90s. I like that while the Troubles is referenced throughout, it's not the focus and with the humour we grew up with.

Love the Derry lingo.

I understand the situation in the sitcom it was the incident Rios referred to in her post where a lad attended an all girls school whilst she was attending. Never heard of it happening in real life before.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

JoG2

Quote from: omagh_gael on January 06, 2018, 10:49:01 AM
I have to say I enjoyed it, first 10 minutes were dodgy enough but the Michelle character (I think that's her name) definitely tied it all together.

However, wtf is up with thon girl's accent? Horrendous effort that sounds like she's 80 and has smoked 40 fags a day!

She's 30 odd according to the ones in work.

Orior

Quote from: trileacman on January 06, 2018, 06:11:18 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 06, 2018, 04:30:07 PM

Love the Derry lingo.

I understand the situation in the sitcom it was the incident Rios referred to in her post where a lad attended an all girls school whilst she was attending. Never heard of it happening in real life before.

It happened in the Convent, St Mary's Magherafelt, Co Derry.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

snoopdog

Quote from: JoG2 on January 06, 2018, 06:29:31 PM

She was in something else a few years back on bbc. About students in Belfast. Can't remember what it was called though.

michaelg

Quote from: snoopdog on January 06, 2018, 10:04:42 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 06, 2018, 06:29:31 PM

She was in something else a few years back on bbc. About students in Belfast. Can't remember what it was called though.
Six Degrees

T Fearon

I see this pish is on tonight again😥😥

Newbridge Exile

Hopefully Derry Girls can build on the promise of the first episode ,( I see Channel 4 have commissioned a second series already )

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: T Fearon on January 11, 2018, 08:36:40 PM
I see this pish is on tonight again😥😥

Pish? Any jokes therein are a helluva lot better than your feeble attempts.