Sanchez Quits

Started by Kerry Mike, May 11, 2007, 02:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

Lawrie Sanchez has resigned as Northern Ireland manager with immediate effect to take up a permanent role in the Premiership.
Sanchez has presided over a hugely successful period for Northern Ireland since taking up the job just over three years ago.

However, questions had been raised about his future after he decided to take over as caretaker manager at Fulham last month, while also retaining his international post.

He has now decided to relinquish the Windsor Park job after being appointed to the Fulham vacancy on a permanent basis.

I suppose Fearon will be happy.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

AZOffaly

That's hard luck for the NI fans. Dodgy move by Sanchez as well I think. He struck me as more of a motivator than a tactician, and a motivator only gets so far in the Premiership, especially at a club like Fulham.

He may regret this.

any obvious candidates?

I reckon give it to Felix Healy. It would probably get that pain in the a*se off Setanta. Better yet, a Felix/Pat Dolan double team.

thebandit

Send for John Morrison  ;D

SammyG

Absolutely gutted. I thought he'd see out his contract as it was only another few months.

Having said that you can't really blame him, how many of us would turn down a 4 or 500% pay rise?

As far as successors the only obvious one is Jim Magilton, all the other candidates would be either too expensive or already in a job or both.

AZOffaly

If he had stayed on and gotten results against Spain and Sweden away, he may have even qualified for Euro 2008. That would have been some achievement from where he started.

I think he should have tried to combine both jobs. Especially given the fact that the domestic season is nearly over anyway.

Goats Do Shave

So much for honouring his contract!

Money talks at the end of the day!

I think they should try for 'handsome' Dowie!  ;)

Uladh

One o them ifa bigwigs was on dunseth earlier to quash rumours of this, saying noone had approached him or his colleagues and that sanchez had given him personal assurances that he would be in the job til the end of this qualification campaign...

Kerry Mike

I swiped the breaking news off the Indo site, so dont be blaming me.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

AZOffaly

I'd say the bigwig was talking through his hoop. Was it Dublinfella???

This is from the IFA website.

QuoteLAWRIE SANCHEZ
11/05/2007
THE Irish FA is obviously aware of the situation between Fulham Football Club and Lawrie Sanchez and we would be the first to congratulate him on his appointment as their new manager and to recognise the outstanding job he has done for Northern Ireland football and the IFA.

The IFA will be considering its position over the next few days and no further comment or statements will be made.

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

SammyG

Quote from: Uladh on May 11, 2007, 02:34:09 PM
One o them ifa bigwigs was on dunseth earlier to quash rumours of this, saying noone had approached him or his colleagues and that sanchez had given him personal assurances that he would be in the job til the end of this qualification campaign...

It's definitely happened but apparently the IFA knew feck all about it until the press told them and hadn't agreed to release him. If it's true (and you never know when the IFA are involved) it's hopefully good news as we should at least get some compensation.

stew

If I was a fan of the six I would be pissed, so much for his word, i have no problem with him leaving  except for the fact he gave his word and said he would stay until the end of the current campaign and he lied.

I understand he has a right to earn a living but he is walking out on them at the worst possible time, they should have known better after his spat with the press a while back.

There is a lot to be said for amateur status, these pro's are feckin mercenaries. :(
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

wesaysanchez

AZOffaly

What do you say now? New username needed? ;D

brokencrossbar1

Sammy seeing as you poo pooed me a few weeks back when I said this would happen I accept your apology, thank you very much :D

It is bad form in fairness and shows how mercenary the professional game is.  Honour, whatever vestige was left, has truly been usurped by the pound and it is a very sad reflection on how the game has changed, and not for the better.