Underage structures

Started by uimhr ocht, September 19, 2017, 03:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uimhr ocht

I read somewhere recently that congress was trying to change age groups to suit the county changes that start next year u17_u20,with clubs maybe starting u13,u15,u17,any thoughts on this?

Orchard park

local county boards dictate age groups which differ between counties, dublin for example go U12, u13 , u14, u15, u16, u18 where the less populated go u12, u14, u16, u18

manfromdelmonte

most sensible smaller counties go with the even numbers (U12, U14, U16) up to mid summer then switch to odd numbers (U13, U15) once end of August comes around and kids go back to school

gives every child a chance to play at their age group

Zulu

There is a proposal for all counties to go to U13, 15 etc. Counties who already have U12, 13, 14, 15 etc. will keep both but the proposal is for those who only have the old system will have to change if the proposal is passed. Feile will change too as far as I know if successful.

Rossfan

Will Club minor be U17 as well as County?
We have u 12,14,16 and Minor.
If we have to go U17 then it makes sense to go 13 and 15.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SkillfulBill

I really dont understand the logic behind changing the age structure from U18 to U17 I think it is mental and can only increase drop out rates by increasing the gap from minor to adult football. Introduction of u20 wont make a bottle of difference as its when lads leave school at 18 drop off increases you only have to look at the U21 competition in Tyrone to see it. I see no reason not to keep lads in the underage structures up untill their 7th year. I appreciate that in the 26 this may be different.

Zulu

The idea behind the U17 is to prevent underage county or club games impacting on adult club games. I think that makes a lot of sense, no point in adult competitions being held up by one or two lads being on a county minor team.

Mayo4Sam14

Its my understanding that its only changing to under 17 and 20 for county?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Zulu on September 19, 2017, 06:38:13 PM
The idea behind the U17 is to prevent underage county or club games impacting on adult club games. I think that makes a lot of sense, no point in adult competitions being held up by one or two lads being on a county minor team.

I dont see to many adult club games impacted by underage fixtures. I would be more concerened about the adventual impact on adult club games by the possible increase in drop of rates by reducing the minor age group for clubs to 17.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 19, 2017, 06:48:31 PM
Its my understanding that its only changing to under 17 and 20 for county?

The proposal is to bring all county club age groups in line with the new county structure.

SkillfulBill

Having coached at underage levels for many years I know how difficult it can be to bring lads through to adult football. I can only guess how much more difficult a task this would be when lads are hitting the adult scene a year earlier and a year less physically developed.

theskull1

Quote from: Rossfan on September 19, 2017, 06:23:40 PM
Will Club minor be U17 as well as County?
We have u 12,14,16 and Minor.
If we have to go U17 then it makes sense to go 13 and 15.

No sense sending a timid 17 year old with a bad birthday out to mark a hairy arsed senior player before he has to. Give these young lads the time they need to develop physically surely?

Would be a crazy clueless decision go U17 at club level
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

manfromdelmonte

more regular games for underage players should be a priority
we lose lads to rugby and soccer as they are guaranteed a game every week

thewobbler

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on September 19, 2017, 09:10:04 PM
more regular games for underage players should be a priority
we lose lads to rugby and soccer as they are guaranteed a game every week

I dunno. Maybe different in your neck of the woods but where I'm from we lose lads to soccer because it's a much less stressful game which requires much less fitness and physicality. So if training and commitment aren't your thing, it's your natural home.

Personally I'd be highly sceptical of loading 17 year olds of limited athleticism with Gaelic Football.

uimhr ocht

It makes sense then to change it to u13,u15,u17 then but what age would Feile be?