Ulster Club SFC 2016

Started by WT4E, September 27, 2016, 10:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Myth. Tyrone football at senior level is overrated.

DownFanatic

thebuzz

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 08, 2016, 04:35:44 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 08, 2016, 04:29:23 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on November 08, 2016, 03:15:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 08, 2016, 01:06:45 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on November 08, 2016, 01:02:53 PM
Kilcoo will have too much craft for Maghery.
Be interesting to see if Slaughtneil have the legs for a buoyant Killyclogher.

Once the Slaughtneil lads put in a few tackles the buoyant Killclogher lads will be less buoyant, Derry club teams have done really well in this competition over the years as they come through a tough championship, as do Tyrone, but why they don't do well is certainly a strange one..

Killyclogher have come through a traditionally tough Tyrone SFC so I'd say they will be well fit for any physicality that Slaughtneil will throw at them.

Like i said earlier they have a tough championship so why do they falter in the club series ?

Quite possibly absolutely f**ked from a physically and mental demanding county championship? :)
Little left in the tank.

I wouldn't be surprised if Killyclogher give Slaughtneil real bother. That replay against Coalisland will have really brought them on, I'd say, as opposed to leaving them drained, physically or mentally. Slaughtneil's dual players could be finding it tough after their exertions in the hurling.

Il Bomber Destro

Once the Slaughtneil lads put in a few tackles the buoyant Killclogher lads will be less buoyant, Derry club teams have done really well in this competition over the years as they come through a tough championship, as do Tyrone, but why they don't do well is certainly a strange one..

Killyclogher have come through a traditionally tough Tyrone SFC so I'd say they will be well fit for any physicality that Slaughtneil will throw at them.

Like i said earlier they have a tough championship so why do they falter in the club series ?

Do they really?

Cross have dominated Ulster club over the past 15 years or so.

Galls have picked up a couple of titles in that time.

Errigal Ciaran have picked up a title and a three Derry clubs have won singular titles in that time.

I think what benefits a team is having a comfortable county title which doesn't need too much exertion and allows them to peak for Ulster and also having experience at provincial level. You see the likes of Kilcoo who have about 5 on the trot now? Possibly more? Slaughtneil have their third Derry title on the trot? Scotstown have three of the last four in Monaghan. Having the experience of provincial championship and knowing what to expect is a big advantage.

In terms of Tyrone club performances in recent years, they haven't been far off. Trillick were edged out by Scotstown by a couple of points last year,  Omagh were beaten in the final by a point the year before against Salughtneil, Clonoe the year before that went down by 4 to eventual Ulster champions Ballinderry. Errigal going down to eventual All Ireland Champions Cross by 6 points in 2012 and Dromore losing to Ballinderry by 2 in 2011 etc.

It's not as if they are turning up and getting the floor wiped with them or anything. They are generally very competitive but have been a little bit short in what it takes get over the line. Would the likes of Cross, Scotstown, Kilcoo or Slaughtneil be putting back to back titles together with such ease in Tyrone? I very much doubt it. The last 7 Tyrone Championships have been won by 7 different sides - would you find that anywhere else in the country?

I think Killyclogher have a great chance against Slaughtneil and it should be a very close game. Slaughtneil quite rightly go in as favourites as they are a proven side who has been here and done it over the past few years.

JoG2

Quote from: thebuzz on November 08, 2016, 05:59:34 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on November 08, 2016, 04:35:44 PM

Quite possibly absolutely f**ked from a physically and mental demanding county championship? :)
Little left in the tank.

I wouldn't be surprised if Killyclogher give Slaughtneil real bother. That replay against Coalisland will have really brought them on, I'd say, as opposed to leaving them drained, physically or mentally. Slaughtneil's dual players could be finding it tough after their exertions in the hurling.

Slaughtneils hurling matches will have really brought them on while Killyclogher may find it tough after the exertions of a replay against Coalisland  ;)

general_lee

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 08, 2016, 05:21:53 PM
Quote from: general_lee on November 08, 2016, 04:55:16 PM

Explain.
That a team can come straight out of intermediate and win it tells you all you need to know.

redhandroar

Quote from: general_lee on November 09, 2016, 07:10:29 PM

Explain.
That a team can come straight out of intermediate and win it tells you all you need to know.

... and go on to beat the Donegal champions and lose by just 2 points to the team that took Crossmaglen to Extra time in the Ulster final. By your logic it doesn't say much for Ulster Club football generally.
Looking at the talented youth coming through with Trillick might provide a better explanation as to how they were able to make the transition to Senior football so effectively - including Richard Donnelly and the two Brennans joining the more established players (including Matty Donnelly, now a 2-in-a-row All Star). When you look at their team sheet it's probably not surprising that they were competitive in their first year at senior football and continue to be so.
I suppose Sunday will tell us how far Tyrone club football is behind the best in Ulster anyway. Personally I can't see Killyclogher being too far away.

Estimator

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 08, 2016, 06:21:08 PM

Do they really?

Cross have dominated Ulster club over the past 15 years or so.

Galls have picked up a couple of titles in that time.

Errigal Ciaran have picked up a title and a three Derry clubs have won singular titles in that time.

I think what benefits a team is having a comfortable county title which doesn't need too much exertion and allows them to peak for Ulster and also having experience at provincial level. You see the likes of Kilcoo who have about 5 on the trot now? Possibly more? Slaughtneil have their third Derry title on the trot? Scotstown have three of the last four in Monaghan. Having the experience of provincial championship and knowing what to expect is a big advantage.

In terms of Tyrone club performances in recent years, they haven't been far off. Trillick were edged out by Scotstown by a couple of points last year,  Omagh were beaten in the final by a point the year before against Salughtneil, Clonoe the year before that went down by 4 to eventual Ulster champions Ballinderry. Errigal going down to eventual All Ireland Champions Cross by 6 points in 2012 and Dromore losing to Ballinderry by 2 in 2011 etc.

It's not as if they are turning up and getting the floor wiped with them or anything. They are generally very competitive but have been a little bit short in what it takes get over the line. Would the likes of Cross, Scotstown, Kilcoo or Slaughtneil be putting back to back titles together with such ease in Tyrone? I very much doubt it. The last 7 Tyrone Championships have been won by 7 different sides - would you find that anywhere else in the country?

I think Killyclogher have a great chance against Slaughtneil and it should be a very close game. Slaughtneil quite rightly go in as favourites as they are a proven side who has been here and done it over the past few years.

In 2004 Slaughtneil won their first county title and were beaten by Cross' in the Ulster Club series after a replay. They got to a couple of county finals between then and winning their 2nd county title in 2014. They went on to win Ulster and get to the All-Ireland final. They had no big advantage and very few players with the experience of the Ulster Club series.

Loup (2003) won their first title in 70 odd years and won Ulster.

Dungiven (1997) won a stand alone title and went on to win Ulster.

Kilcoo won their first county title in years in 2009. And have gone on to win the last 5 Down titles. So they have a big group of players with Ulster Club experience and yet only appeared one Ulster final.

Mayobridge won 8 county titles in 10years and appeared in two Ulster Finals, winning none.

Cavan Gaels won 9 county titles in 14years and appeared in zero Ulster finals.

Enniskillen Gaels won 6 county titles in a row and appeared in two Ulster finals winning none.

So the idea that experience and winning a series of county titles is necessary to compete and win the Ulster Club competition is not true. There is no reason why Tyrone clubs have failed at this level. Two titles since 1968 - both won by Errigal Ciaran. Only two other clubs getting to the final. That's a seriously poor return.

Killyclogher have the players that can change that statistic on Sunday. There is no reason why it can't be done.
Ulster League Champions 2009

general_lee

Quote from: redhandroar on November 10, 2016, 09:54:06 AM

Explain.

... and go on to beat the Donegal champions and lose by just 2 points to the team that took Crossmaglen to Extra time in the Ulster final. By your logic it doesn't say much for Ulster Club football generally.
Looking at the talented youth coming through with Trillick might provide a better explanation as to how they were able to make the transition to Senior football so effectively - including Richard Donnelly and the two Brennans joining the more established players (including Matty Donnelly, now a 2-in-a-row All Star). When you look at their team sheet it's probably not surprising that they were competitive in their first year at senior football and continue to be so.
I suppose Sunday will tell us how far Tyrone club football is behind the best in Ulster anyway. Personally I can't see Killyclogher being too far away.
🎣🎣🎣🎣

redhandroar

Quote from: general_lee on November 10, 2016, 11:37:57 AM

Explain.

🎣🎣🎣🎣

So you don't think Tyrone football's over-rated either then - glad we're in agreement!

general_lee

Quote from: redhandroar on November 10, 2016, 12:26:48 PM

Explain.

🎣🎣🎣🎣

So you don't think Tyrone football's over-rated either then - glad we're in agreement!
We both know it is! your argument that last years champions got beat by the team that got beat by Cross is funny though ;)

Gonzalo15

Quote from: general_lee on November 10, 2016, 12:33:07 PM

Explain.

🎣🎣🎣🎣

We both know it is! your argument that last years champions got beat by the team that got beat by Cross is funny though ;)

Coming from someone from Armagh where their championship is a farce lol

railrail

See articles in the papers this week about how much Killyclogher know about Sneil.

In Derry, we know far more about them and we still couldn't stop them.

WBF

Explain.

🎣🎣🎣🎣

Dont forget though that Trillick may have only came up from Intermediate but they also have 4 players on the Tyrone senior panel and at least 1 player on the county u21 panel.

general_lee

Quote from: Gonzalo15 on November 10, 2016, 12:37:10 PM

Explain.

🎣🎣🎣🎣

Coming from someone from Armagh where their championship is a farce lol
I'm not in denial at the weak state of Armagh football though.  We have at most, four clubs who could challenge in Ulster. The way Tyronies get on all 16 of their senior clubs are a match for each other and after bruising encounters with the likes of Augher and Strabane their senior representatives are too exhausted to make a proper assault on Ulster