Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Nigel Farage's latest comments from the weekend, getting ready to take up violence if he doesn't get what he wants:

"But if they don't deliver this Brexit that I spent 25 years of my life working for, then I will be forced to don khaki, pick up a rifle and head for the front lines." ~ Nigel Farage.

AZOffaly

Quote from: yellowcard on November 19, 2018, 11:49:04 AM
Nigel Farage's latest comments from the weekend, getting ready to take up violence if he doesn't get what he wants:

"But if they don't deliver this Brexit that I spent 25 years of my life working for, then I will be forced to don khaki, pick up a rifle and head for the front lines." ~ Nigel Farage.

Where's the front line? Hendon?

HiMucker

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 19, 2018, 11:54:20 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on November 19, 2018, 11:49:04 AM

Where's the front line? Hendon?
No, its in the middle of the Irish Sea. Ill pay for Nigels boat  ;D

Dougal Maguire

Who's Don Khaki when he's at home
Careful now

Insane Bolt

Farage would fit right in It ain't half hot mum😜

RedHand88

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/brexit/ulster-farmers-union-backing-for-draft-brexit-deal-greatly-disappointing-says-allister-37542572.html?fbclid=IwAR1yW7N8Emst4Tk0sAbJUVMLt2-OoGJHo_076d-IoT8QWlMVoBKzbAW_sYA

"Mr Allister added: "Now is a time for anyone who values the prosperity which the UK Union has brought us to recognise that at this seminal moment to endorse Mrs May's plan is to endorse the break-up of the UK.""

Unionists are completely blind, none moreso than Jim. They really are believing the delusion that the north is a economic eutopia compared to the poor paddies down the road.

johnnycool

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 19, 2018, 01:22:11 PM
https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/brexit/ulster-farmers-union-backing-for-draft-brexit-deal-greatly-disappointing-says-allister-37542572.html?fbclid=IwAR1yW7N8Emst4Tk0sAbJUVMLt2-OoGJHo_076d-IoT8QWlMVoBKzbAW_sYA

"Mr Allister added: "Now is a time for anyone who values the prosperity which the UK Union has brought us to recognise that at this seminal moment to endorse Mrs May's plan is to endorse the break-up of the UK.""

Unionists are completely blind, none moreso than Jim. They really are believing the delusion that the north is a economic eutopia compared to the poor paddies down the road.

I keep telling you, they wear the handouts from Westminster like a badge of honour, something to be proud off, look how good Britannia is to us loyal subjects. look that those lovely crumbs you won't be getting in a dirty united Ireland.

They're nuts, but all religious fundamentalists are.

Applesisapples

Quote from: johnnycool on November 19, 2018, 01:32:22 PM

I keep telling you, they wear the handouts from Westminster like a badge of honour, something to be proud off, look how good Britannia is to us loyal subjects. look that those lovely crumbs you won't be getting in a dirty united Ireland.

They're nuts, but all religious fundamentalists are.

We will see what happens when free from Europe the reality sets in with the Little englanders and they start evauating the value for money they are getting for the block grant. Given the choice between farmers in NI and hospital waiting lists in Bristol, lets see if the farm subsidies continue.
Pete Shirlow on Sunday Politics said that unionists are now beginning to look at the union in economic terms, not as a question of sovereignty. It is time that those espousing a UI start making cogent economic arguments rather than calling for a border poll. Thats what will inform peoples voting intentions in a future referendum.

yellowcard

In Jim's own sheltered world there may be prosperity but try telling that to the increasing numbers who rely on foodbanks for survival.

His position and the position of unionists is entirely ideological and constitutional yet he continues to pretend that somehow Brexit will be beneficial for the economy here. This is the same man who wanted to build a bridge between Scotland and the north but who is happy to impose new barriers to trading on this island.

The Unionist politician's who are deriding the deal are mostly from privileged backgrounds and Brexit will not affect the lifestyles that they enjoy. However they are doing many of their people from ordinary working class backgrounds a huge disservice by pushing the UK government into a situation where a no deal scenario becomes more likely. The question is, at what point does basic economics overtake a flag.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 19, 2018, 02:46:59 PM
Pete Shirlow on Sunday Politics said that unionists are now beginning to look at the union in economic terms, not as a question of sovereignty. It is time that those espousing a UI start making cogent economic arguments rather than calling for a border poll. Thats what will inform peoples voting intentions in a future referendum.

The fastest way to a UI was always going to be through economics.

Conversely - if the DUP were not so f**king thick and took this deal - then economics would be working for their union, not against it.

In the electorate here, there are two fringes, hardcore republican voters and hardcore unionists. They won't change their minds regardless of what happens. But there is a sizeable middle which could swing on *very stark* economic arguments.

If we crash out with no deal - then that middle group, irrespective of religion, will be economically envious of ROI and when folks are weighing up a fleg vs. food on the table, a border poll might not be such a bad idea.
If we got the deal - then we'd be in best of both worlds - and then it'd only be the fringe republicans voting for a UI as the rest would be economically better off and the risk not worth taking.
i usse an speelchekor

seafoid

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 19, 2018, 03:40:27 PM

Conversely - if the DUP were not so f**king thick and took this deal - then economics would be working for their union, not against it.

In the electorate here, there are two fringes, hardcore republican voters and hardcore unionists. They won't change their minds regardless of what happens. But there is a sizeable middle which could swing on *very stark* economic arguments.

If we crash out with no deal - then that middle group, irrespective of religion, will be economically envious of ROI and when folks are weighing up a fleg vs. food on the table, a border poll might not be such a bad idea.
If we got the deal - then we'd be in best of both worlds - and then it'd only be the fringe republicans voting for a UI as the rest would be economically better off and the risk not worth taking.

The DUP got a very good deal keeping them in the SM . The business and farming communities want it.
The stance of the DUP must be very hard to understand in Brussels.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: seafoid on November 19, 2018, 03:46:16 PM
The DUP got a very good deal keeping them in the SM . The business and farming communities want it.
The stance of the DUP must be very hard to understand in Brussels.

You don't have to go as far as Brussels to find it hard to understand!
i usse an speelchekor

yellowcard

I get where you're coming from but using that same logic then why did they ever support Brexit in the first place? They are imperialist fantasists riddled with paranoia and fear and when they initially nailed their colours to the Brexit mast they were entering into an unknown in terms of how the process would pan out. I thought it was a bad move from them prior to Brexit and it has so transpired.

Before even reading the withdrawal agreement, their chief Brexit spokesman was comparing the EU to the IRA and stating that it was like receiving a punishment beating from them. It could well be as good as it gets for them at this stage though tribalism will ensure that they say 'no surrender' until the bitter end.       

BennyCake

Quote from: yellowcard on November 19, 2018, 04:25:16 PM

I get where you're coming from but using that same logic then why did they ever support Brexit in the first place? They are imperialist fantasists riddled with paranoia and fear and when they initially nailed their colours to the Brexit mast they were entering into an unknown in terms of how the process would pan out. I thought it was a bad move from them prior to Brexit and it has so transpired.

Before even reading the withdrawal agreement, their chief Brexit spokesman was comparing the EU to the IRA and stating that it was like receiving a punishment beating from them. It could well be as good as it gets for them at this stage though tribalism will ensure that they say 'no surrender' until the bitter end.       

Most people, DUP included, thought Brexit wouldn't happen. So they supported it thinking it would fail, but come out of it looking all British and patriotic. When brexit happened, they had to stick to it.

They didn't know how it would pan out. They still don't. But they still will persist with it no matter how stupid they look or how much damage they do to the economy and people's normal everyday lives.

Applesisapples

Whether settlers of of stock that took the soup, Unionists have always been under siege in Ireland. I was taken some years ago when I went to an outdoor museum somewhere in Tyrone which had a crannog and also a planters house. It was a living museum type of thing, where the planters were talking about how the native Irish were raiding and they had to be on the lookout. Folk memory.