Why do the Brits not give up the north of Ireland

Started by Hereiam, November 13, 2014, 10:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

As the title suggests why do people think the British establishment hold on to the rights of the north when economically it has no real value to them.

deiseach

Quote from: Hereiam on November 13, 2014, 10:52:50 AM
As the title suggests why do people think the British establishment hold on to the rights of the north when economically it has no real value to them.

Imperialism.

Rossfan

Have you heard of the Good Friday Agreement?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

deiseach

Quote from: Rossfan on November 13, 2014, 10:57:35 AM
Have you heard of the Good Friday Agreement?

The British imposed negotiated the Good Friday Agreement. It's the expression of their desire, not the desire itself.

seafoid

The plantation of Ulster was a mistake
And it's very hard to unwind it

It reminds me of that joke by Lenny Bruce

A lot of people say to me, "Why did you kill Christ?" I dunno, it was one of those parties, got out of hand, you know.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on November 13, 2014, 11:39:57 AM

A lot of people say to me, "Why did you kill Christ?" I dunno, it was one of those parties, got out of hand, you know.

Typical seafoid, making light of the state murder of a Jew.

;)

Rossfan

Quote from: deiseach on November 13, 2014, 11:44:19 AM

;)
Ye'll have Sheehy goin stone mad now  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lynchbhoy

isn't it currently part of their constitution?
politically there are votes there that could assist in forming a government in a tight election (as was the case at times in in 70's/80's/90's - and the unionist vote was garnered - before sf were winning seats)

its very hard to offload an area unless there is willingness and ability in another (host) country to offload it too!

Orior

Didn't someone from the british establishment say a year or two ago that britain had no strategic interest in northern ireland?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Rossfan on November 13, 2014, 11:51:55 AM
Quote from: deiseach on November 13, 2014, 11:44:19 AM

;)
Ye'll have Sheehy goin stone mad now  ::)

Nope, that's fine. If you lads are ok with this kind of craic then so be it.

balladmaker

Who would they give it up to?  The question you are asking assumes that there is somewhere willing to take it over from them.

From the Bunker

Northern Ireland has spent the guts of 100 years now an entity of it's own. No matter how much each one tries to deny it Loyalists and Republicans are more alike than there Scottish and Southern cousins respectively. The struggle on both sides has made them almost indistinguishable.

deiseach

If you want to see how the establishment in Britain view the North, look no further than Richard Dannatt's contribution to the Scottish independence debate. If one of them can say with a straight face in relation to Scotland that a vote to leave the Union was a vote for the IRA, then it shouldn't be too hard to see their reaction to the prospect of the same thing happening in Norn Iron.

deiseach

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 13, 2014, 01:11:39 PM
Northern Ireland has spent the guts of 100 years now an entity of it's own. No matter how much each one tries to deny it Loyalists and Republicans are more alike than there Scottish and Southern cousins respectively. The struggle on both sides has made them almost indistinguishable.

That may be your experience. It would not be mine.

JoG2

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 13, 2014, 01:11:39 PM

this shot went out for a throw in