Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ose 14

mannion geaney and mcbrearty for me. mark bradley is decent but cant be mentioned in that bracket yet. hes not ruthless enough to be a top notch inside forward. mcmanus murphy mcbrearty mcnialis ahead of him in ulster. tyrone have more to worry about up front than mark bradley. personally id put mattie donnelly at 14 and use bradley off him. but it will be a big ask for the mickey taker to take a leap of faith and do something positive.

In hiding

mannion geaney and mc brearty for me too

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 01, 2018, 05:29:19 PM
Quote from: In hiding on January 31, 2018, 11:11:21 PM
Question for all you knowlegeable people out there. Just imagine you were managing a team and had to pick a full forward line from Paul Geaney, Paul Mannion, Dean Rock, Cillian O Connor, Andy Moran, Paddy Mc Brearty and Mark Bradley, what would it be ?

Canavan, O'Neill, Mulligan. Not sure what your point is, but does anyone really think Mickey would be playing the way we do if we still had these three guys?

Would be fascinating to see how they would fit into the current team and would they have been able to develop into the fantastic forwards they became within a defensive system. Not convinced Mugsy for one would have been accommodated.

People say we don't have enough good forwards but I do believe the defensive system has stunted the development of some players who had great potential in attack. We also had a player in Sean Cavanagh who would have been a great focal point for our attack over the past couple of seasons and with a Bradley/O'Neill/McCurry playing up with him. We squandered the last seasons of Sean with the fundamentally flawed tactics that didn't make the most of his talent or suit a player of his age.

Suspect Mickey has a something of a credibility problem with the squad after the Dublin shambles. He brought in those young players and got them to buy into his highly detailed system and huge levels of fitness. They did, but the system was brutally exposed in Croke Park. That was no great surprise either, Tyrone never had any chance of beating Dublin playing that way. But after that Mickey had to face those players and either admit his system was flawed - and that all the work they had done had gone into something which was shown up within 5 minutes in Croke Park - or just plough on without actually confronting it. Either way, it's hard to see how the players can have the same faith in what they are doing.

longballin

Quote from: In hiding on February 01, 2018, 09:06:01 PM
Quote from: longballin on February 01, 2018, 08:01:41 PM
Quote from: In hiding on February 01, 2018, 07:48:52 PM
Quote from: longballin on February 01, 2018, 07:47:32 PM
Quote from: In hiding on February 01, 2018, 07:44:57 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 01, 2018, 04:00:07 PM
Quote from: In hiding on February 01, 2018, 09:56:26 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 01, 2018, 09:36:59 AM
Question for all you knowlegeable people out there. Just imagine you were managing a team and had to pick a full forward line from Paul Geaney, Paul Mannion, Dean Rock, Cillian O Connor, Andy Moran, Paddy Mc Brearty and Mark Bradley, what would it be ?

Moran/McBrearty and COC.

interesting

Can I ask why you picked those players? Any reason?

I picked those as I wondered who people thought were the best inside forwards playing at the minute. Probably could have included James O Donoghue and Bernard Brogan also. I think Mark Bradley is better than Andy Moran, Cillian O Connor and Dean Rock, but thats just my opinion

you're kidding?

not at all

when he proves himself at the highest level. In Ulster championship against Slaughtneil and in Croke Park for Tyrone has strugled.
You continually criticise the way Tyrone play saying that they give good forwards no chance then you criticise Mark Bradley for struggling against 3 defenders in croke park

Fair point so how can you put him above those other players who have performed in Croke Park based on his performances in Tyrone club football?

southtyronegael

interesting post LDA. will be very interesting to see will the players follow mickey blindy this year in whatever system he decides to play or will some of them jack it in? mickey under no pressure anyway as he has his 3 year contract sorted but would be a big call for any player to stand up to him. would mean no county football for at least 3 years.

In hiding

Quote from: longballin on February 01, 2018, 11:08:38 PM

Moran/McBrearty and COC.

interesting

I picked those as I wondered who people thought were the best inside forwards playing at the minute. Probably could have included James O Donoghue and Bernard Brogan also. I think Mark Bradley is better than Andy Moran, Cillian O Connor and Dean Rock, but thats just my opinion

you're kidding?

not at all

when he proves himself at the highest level. In Ulster championship against Slaughtneil and in Croke Park for Tyrone has strugled.
You continually criticise the way Tyrone play saying that they give good forwards no chance then you criticise Mark Bradley for struggling against 3 defenders in croke park

Fair point so how can you put him above those other players who have performed in Croke Park based on his performances in Tyrone club football?
Yep you're right it's a leap of faith. I just think his pace and work ethic along with his obvious ability makes him a really good forward....

if he ever gets a bit of support

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: In hiding on February 01, 2018, 11:39:04 PM
Quote from: longballin on February 01, 2018, 11:08:38 PM

Moran/McBrearty and COC.

interesting

you're kidding?

not at all

Yep you're right it's a leap of faith. I just think his pace and work ethic along with his obvious ability makes him a really good forward....

if he ever gets a bit of support

Bradley is a very talented player but too small unfortunately.

Il Bomber Destro

We had 8 players in action on Wednesday, I think they all played the full match so I think we mindful of that with our selection.

I'd go with the following:

1. O'Neill
2. HP McGeary
3. Hampsey
4. Cassidy
5. T McCann
6. McNamee
7. Harte
8. McClure
9. M Donnelly
10. R Donnelly
11. Sludden
12. Meyler
13. Bradley
14. McHugh
15. McAliskey

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 30, 2018, 06:12:35 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on January 30, 2018, 04:12:50 PM
Serious question. Should MH be allowed to continue forever? Its 10 years since he last won a big game. Would this happen in any other county?

Noveau riche fans - Ulster Finals aren't big games anymore.

Probably a better way of phrasing the question. When was the last time Tyrone won a game where they entered it as 2nd favourites.

I get the point you're making though. However it's important, in my opinion, that Tyrone see themselves as a 'big team' and aim accordingly. Kerry and Dublin celebrate provincial titles with a shrug. I wouldn't want Tyrone being as blase, as provincial titles should be cherished. However at the same time it has to be a minimum aim every season.

When you invest £6 million on a training complex there must be some improvement generated by that complex. Not all of this is measurable I understand. However we are not producing better players than we were 10 years ago. Indeed there's an argument that we are producing better athletes but not better players and that's detrimental.

Personally I find the football in the main part hard to watch. However IF you are performing at a really high level I can stomach that. When you're not....

On a different point. Have Tyrone moved away from releasing their weekend teams now from Thursday evenings?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 02, 2018, 08:44:02 AM
Serious question. Should MH be allowed to continue forever? Its 10 years since he last won a big game. Would this happen in any other county?

Probably a better way of phrasing the question. When was the last time Tyrone won a game where they entered it as 2nd favourites.

I get the point you're making though. However it's important, in my opinion, that Tyrone see themselves as a 'big team' and aim accordingly. Kerry and Dublin celebrate provincial titles with a shrug. I wouldn't want Tyrone being as blase, as provincial titles should be cherished. However at the same time it has to be a minimum aim every season.

When you invest £6 million on a training complex there must be some improvement generated by that complex. Not all of this is measurable I understand. However we are not producing better players than we were 10 years ago. Indeed there's an argument that we are producing better athletes but not better players and that's detrimental.

Personally I find the football in the main part hard to watch. However IF you are performing at a really high level I can stomach that. When you're not....

On a different point. Have Tyrone moved away from releasing their weekend teams now from Thursday evenings?

We were bookies outsiders against Monaghan in 2015.

Can't remember if we were favourties against Donegal in 2016 either.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 02, 2018, 08:44:02 AM

Don't agree with this.

I think the players we are currently producing are nearly as skilled as they were 10 years ago. The game has now changed, the game is all about mobility, athleticism, speed and size. Unfortunately we have too many good footballers who don't match up in the athleticism and size game. You look at the lads who people cry out for to be allowed play football - O'Neill, Brennan, McCurry etc - they're lacking in those aspects and the modern game does not suit them like it would have 10 years ago.

A lot of these lads look blown up to me trying to adapt their natural game in order to try and succeed in the modern game but I don't think it will work.

You look at someone like Michael Darragh MacAuley, a guy who is a fantastic athlete and physical presence but doesn't really resemble a footballer at times - he's a 5 time All Ireland winner now and a former footballer of the year. Every player on that Dublin team has speed, size and power, they can play football too but if you still have last year's match programme then have a look at the player profiles. They are on average nearly a stone and a couple of inches talker than the Tyrone team. Further to that we have lost two real experienced physical presences this year in Justy and Sean Cavanagh.

southtyronegael

Maybe mickey should go and bring back all the 6 footers he has fell out with like Conan grugan,shea mc guigan,mc nulty,Niall mc Kenna, coney

RedHand88

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 02, 2018, 11:21:07 AM
Maybe mickey should go and bring back all the 6 footers he has fell out with like Conan grugan,she's nc guigan,mc nulty,Niall mc Kenna, coney

Coney walked because he didn't get starting a McKenna cup (?) game. Is that someone you want? Also which mcnulty are you on about? Padraig who started in midfield last Sunday???

southtyronegael

redhandofgod

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 02, 2018, 11:39:13 AM
Dan mc nulty clonoe

Saw him in 3 tyrone championship games last year against dromore, and 2 x pomeroy! he's not anywhere near close to senior county standard.