Why hang a Jack Russel?

Started by OakleafCounty, October 17, 2012, 08:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: The Iceman on October 17, 2012, 02:23:33 PM
turkeys are hung as part of that same process are they not? in fact i think they are hung upside down for a long period of time before they die?
doesn't stop us all digging in on december 25th...

Hung? As in hung by the neck until dead? Certainly not in regulated factories. There may be some confusion due to the fact that they are hung upside down (by the legs) from an overhead conveyor for a few seconds as their heads pass through an electrically charged water bath which stuns them. Their necks are then cut by machine. About as humane as it could be, I'd say.

supersarsfields

Jeez, so they get the whole toaster in a bathtub treatment before getting their throats cut? It's us that are the animals!!

:D

Puckoon

Supersarsfields did you not visit Moy Park with us in 7th year?

The process is exactly as Hardy described it.

supersarsfields

I did indeed Puck, The smell was imprinted into my brain for a long time after.

I was only messing. I enjoy my Christmas dinner better than most and am sorry to say the turkey doesn't really get much of a thought other than if it's hot enough!!

The Iceman

Men who rear turkeys in mushroom houses or sheds for The Chirstmas season wouldn't follow the Moy Park or factory way. I've seen houses full of turkeys hung upside down til they die. Some places may slice the vein that feeds the brain and therefore they are brain dead before they are body dead and the blood runs out.
My point is we all are at the end of the assembly line with the knives and forks at the ready. An animal is an animal -you can't pick and choose which you cry about.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Franko

Quote from: The Iceman on October 17, 2012, 05:53:23 PM
Men who rear turkeys in mushroom houses or sheds for The Chirstmas season wouldn't follow the Moy Park or factory way. I've seen houses full of turkeys hung upside down til they die. Some places may slice the vein that feeds the brain and therefore they are brain dead before they are body dead and the blood runs out.
My point is we all are at the end of the assembly line with the knives and forks at the ready. An animal is an animal -you can't pick and choose which you cry about.....

I think you are missing the obvious distinction here Iceman.  A turkey is hung at Christmas so that when it subsequently dies it will provide food/income - i.e. for a reason.  This dog was killed solely because the perpetrator enjoyed harming it which is something entirely different.

nifan

Not like you to be so at odds with catholic teaching - i had thought you aimed to follow it pretty closely

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a7.htm

Respect for the integrity of creation  is the interesting section

"2415 The seventh commandment enjoins respect for the integrity of creation. Animals, like plants and inanimate beings, are by nature destined for the common good of past, present, and future humanity.195 Use of the mineral, vegetable, and animal resources of the universe cannot be divorced from respect for moral imperatives. Man's dominion over inanimate and other living beings granted by the Creator is not absolute; it is limited by concern for the quality of life of his neighbor, including generations to come; it requires a religious respect for the integrity of creation.196

2416 Animals are God's creatures. He surrounds them with his providential care. By their mere existence they bless him and give him glory.197 Thus men owe them kindness. We should recall the gentleness with which saints like St. Francis of Assisi or St. Philip Neri treated animals.

2417 God entrusted animals to the stewardship of those whom he created in his own image.198 Hence it is legitimate to use animals for food and clothing. They may be domesticated to help man in his work and leisure. Medical and scientific experimentation on animals is a morally acceptable practice if it remains within reasonable limits and contributes to caring for or saving human lives.

2418 It is contrary to human dignity to cause animals to suffer or die needlessly. It is likewise unworthy to spend money on them that should as a priority go to the relief of human misery. One can love animals; one should not direct to them the affection due only to persons."

The Iceman

What have I said that goes against what you posted...
I simply pointed out the level of cruelty that we are all end benefactors of in one way or another......

Is cruelty ok then if its for food or income?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Eamonnca1

I don't know about you but I've noticed a lot more of these animal cruelty stories popping up in local papers in recent years.  Maybe with the end of the troubles there's more room for this kind of story.  Either way I agree that it needs to be taken seriously and punished with the full force of the law. 

As for meat, I stopped eating meat in January and haven't looked back. The reasons:

• I've learned more about the cruelty that goes on in the meat industry and I don't want to be a part of it.
  • I've learned more about how to replace meat in my diet and it's not as hard as it used to be and some soy-based meat substitutes are better than the real thing nowadays.  I tried becoming vegetarian a few times before years ago but never lasted more than a few weeks; this is the longest I've kept at it and I don't expect to go back.
  • The US food supply is incredibly unhealthy.  Since coming here I found it increasingly harder to keep my weight under control (although getting older probably had something to do with this) but after giving up the meat I find it a lot easier to maintain a steady weight and I feel a lot healthier
  • Turning sunlight into food via animal tissue is highly inefficient. That's just physics.  If you go directly to the plant source you're cutting out a lot of pollution

Family guy

I know a fella used to keep a few turkeys for christmas and i asked him one night how did he kill them,well this is how he did it,he used to drop a road traffic cone over the turkey so that its head popped through,he then swiftly cut the turkeys head off,it then could not run about as it was inside the cone,and before yous say how could it run if its dead,i think they can still move about because of nerves or something

nifan

Quote from: The Iceman on October 17, 2012, 07:04:01 PM
I simply pointed out the level of cruelty that we are all end benefactors of in one way or another......

When you said "An animal is an animal -you can't pick and choose which you cry about....." in the context of the discussion, and considering previous posts of yours concerning animal treatment, doesnt seem sit well with the whole preventing suffering etc.
People can choose to "cry" over one that has been cruelly treated, but not over an animal killed for a purpose in a way that prevents it suffering more than necessary.

Do you agree with, and live by the passage ive quoted above?

Wildweasel74

theres nothing like going off the beaten path comparing eating turkeys, to hanging dogs, setting fire to dogs, throwing acid at dogs, lifting a cat and throwing it to the dogs. The reality is there more than a fair share of scumbags (for such a small island we got a dis portionally amount of scumbags) out there, and the law pretty lame to enforce any sort of penalties. personally  i hang the p***k of a tree for 20secs and see how he likes it. No fear of the law and lack of retribution along with borderline socialpath tendencies is the reason these things happen. Babies getting beat to death, a drunken man stabbing a woman in the head (gets 4yrs), society in general is literally away to the dogs. i never really heard of cruelty to animals on a scale we currently have. People value another person life so little, so hows an animal gotta fair against this type of person. As as been said here already, animal cruelty is the stepping stone to cruelty to people,and would need hit on the bud early on, we rather bitch about parades instead of tackling the problems which really affect our society.

The Iceman

Quote from: nifan on October 17, 2012, 08:56:44 PM

When you said "An animal is an animal -you can't pick and choose which you cry about....." in the context of the discussion, and considering previous posts of yours concerning animal treatment, doesnt seem sit well with the whole preventing suffering etc.
People can choose to "cry" over one that has been cruelly treated, but not over an animal killed for a purpose in a way that prevents it suffering more than necessary.

Do you agree with, and live by the passage ive quoted above?
what difference does it make to you what "passage I live by"? do you think I have the catechism papered in my bedroom?

BarryBreensBandage

My Guess? Mind altering substances, be it drink or drugs.
Mix that with a few people getting together, having f**k all else to do and you get the incidents that are mentioned on this thread.

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Zulu

I think you've an incredibly strange outlook on this. Of course you can differentiate between killing an animal for food or for fun, sure you can differentiate between the killing of humans too. Most people would view differently a man who killed another man while protecting his infant child from attack and a man who killed another simply cause he was bored.

The issue here is the motivation behind such cruelty and not simply the act itself. Anyone convicted of extreme cruelty to animals for entertainment should be thrown in a 30 foot hole for 40 years and feed dog shit for their meals. They're not much above pedophiles in my book.