Why hang a Jack Russel?

Started by OakleafCounty, October 17, 2012, 08:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakleafCounty

Why hang a Jack Russel?
I'm sure you've all read or heard that yesterday someone in Limavady saw fit to take a family owned Jack Russel out of its kennel and hang it to death. In the past few months we've also heard of people setting dogs on fire and sticking fireworks to cats. I remember when I was young I heard about boys in Strabane putting a cat in a plastic bag and playing football with it.

Am I missing something here? Why would someone commit an act of such evil against small animals? As a society we are more educated than ever. Even people who don't have an exam to their name still went to school and were taught the basics of right and wrong not that we should need school for that.

Basically what I'm asking is: Will an element of evil always exist in society no matter how well educated we are?

To posters of a more advanced stage in life than my 28 years: Has this sort of thing always gone on or is it a new phenomenon where people get a kick out of torturing and murdering defenseless animals?

seafoid

Quote from: OakleafCounty on October 17, 2012, 08:48:47 AM
Why hang a Jack Russel?
I'm sure you've all read or heard that yesterday someone in Limavady saw fit to take a family owned Jack Russel out of its kennel and hang it to death. In the past few months we've also heard of people setting dogs on fire and sticking fireworks to cats. I remember when I was young I heard about boys in Strabane putting a cat in a plastic bag and playing football with it.

Am I missing something here? Why would someone commit an act of such evil against small animals? As a society we are more educated than ever. Even people who don't have an exam to their name still went to school and were taught the basics of right and wrong not that we should need school for that.

Basically what I'm asking is: Will an element of evil always exist in society no matter how well educated we are?

To posters of a more advanced stage in life than my 28 years: Has this sort of thing always gone on or is it a new phenomenon where people get a kick out of torturing and murdering defenseless animals?
Every society has disturbed people. I don't know if education can eradicate this.

Limavady is Leim an Mhadaigh isn't it, not Croch an Madra
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

OakleafCounty

Quote from: seafoid on October 17, 2012, 08:51:52 AM
Why hang a Jack Russel?

Every society has disturbed people. I don't know if education can eradicate this.

Limavady is Leim an Mhadaigh isn't it, not Croch an Madra
I think it's the first one. Means 'dogs leap' or something.

Club Rossa

nrico2006

I have heard of that incident in Strabane and I remember another one about `0 years ago where someone in Strabane wedged a banger under a cats collar and set it off. 

It takes a certain deranged individual to be able to be so evil to an animal, and I definitely believe that anybody capable of doing something like this has the potential to do something pretty harmful to another human being.  These crimes aren't punished as seriously as they are committed against animals, but I definitely think there should be more severe sentences for anybody caught doing stuff like this.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Franko

Anyone caught doing anything like this to an animal should be forced to sign some sort of a register - akin to the sex offenders equivalent.  The same conditions should apply after this - ie. you can't work with kids/vulnerable adults etc etc.  Anyone capable of doing this poses a serious risk to society in general.

Hardy

Why hang a Jack Russel?

In my opinion, it's psychopathic behaviour. So, to answer your question, it has always gone on. Psychopathy has always been with us and I don't know of any measured change in the incidence of psychopathy in society.

Having said that, I was interested in the case made on Richard Dawkins's "Sex, Death and the Meaning of Life" on More 4 the other night that human behaviour (towards other humans, at least) is improving with the growth of reason and the decline of religion. Stephen Pinker pointed to striking statistics on reduced incidence of violent crime in Western society in recent years, as well as a dramatic drop in the numbers killed in wars in this generation. I'm not in a position to comment on the accuracy of the statistics but, though this proposition jars with generally observed huge increases in the murder rate, for instance, as compared with fifty years ago, it's fascinating and worthy of further inquiry.

Rois

Ok, so I picked this up from Criminal Minds the other night, but the triad of behaviours that, if presented together, could indicate later violent tendancies are
a. Cruelty to animals
b. Obesession with setting fire to things
c. Bed-wetting after the age of 5

Just googled, it's called the MacDonald Triad (and widely disputed).

Thought of it when I heard about this story yesterday.

Cold tea

Quote from: Rois on October 17, 2012, 11:14:30 AM
Ok, so I picked this up from Criminal Minds the other night, but the triad of behaviours that, if presented together, could indicate later violent tendancies are
a. Cruelty to animals

What if you piss yourself after a night on the beer!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on October 17, 2012, 11:14:30 AM
a. Cruelty to animals

If you have only one out of three, are your alright? lol

But on a serious note, are most of these people males?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Iceman

there may be something going on there behind the scenes that has not been revealed? I remember a dispute in Armagh town many years ago between two neighbours and one neighbour took a spade and chopped the other neighbours wee dog's head off. Any Armagh posters on here should remember it.

The slaughter of Animals for meat, the packing in of Chickens in sheds for eggs, the trauma caused to calves reared for veal, the hanging of turkeys for our Christmas Dinners....none of this can surely be a pleasant experience for the animals? Yet we all sit up and enjoy the end result......

Therein probably lies the answer. We disconnect ourselves from the "animals" on our plates and the people that "torture" dogs have likely disconnected themselves from the "pets"
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

OakleafCounty

There's rules in place to ensure animals bred for food are slaughtered in as humane a manner possible. Granted those rules are sometimes broken.

The Iceman

turkeys are hung as part of that same process are they not? in fact i think they are hung upside down for a long period of time before they die?
doesn't stop us all digging in on december 25th...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Iceman on October 17, 2012, 02:23:33 PM
turkeys are hung as part of that same process are they not? in fact i think they are hung upside down for a long period of time before they die?
doesn't stop us all digging in on december 25th...

So don't eat meat? There is a big difference from hanging someones pet dog than a Turkey being slaughtered for food.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

supersarsfields

I'd say it's the same result from the animal's point of view.