Michaela McAreavy Murder Trial-Will Justice be Done?

Started by Applesisapples, May 25, 2012, 09:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

You have to feel for the families. When I started this thread with the question...will justice be done, I suspected that the two guys would get off. From the outset the whole of Mauritian authority did it's best to impede a successful prosecution. The Head of Security at the Hotel slowed the release of video evidence, he failed to secure the scene as did the police, an incomplete forensic investigation as done. Personally I always had my doubts about the Guilt of the older guy, I think the one who confessed and the one who got immunity were the most likely culprits...just my opinion but who can say for sure. The behaviour of all concerned in Mauritius from defence to prosecution the police and even the Judge was less than professional. From the headlines in the papers over there, one of which stated "Justice Triumphs" just about somes up the whole point of this mess, lets be seen to have a trial and protect our tourist economy at all costs even to the point of sullying the good name of the deceased and dragging her husband through the torture and pain of the murder once again. Mauritius should look at the dignity and humility of Mickey Harte and John McAreavy and hang their heads in shame. Emotions are running high but as previously pointed out we in Ireland no what happens when police steam roll their way to prosecutions, it is better that these men are free than wrongly convicted. Don't expect another trial. To end I would concur with those who say that Irish people should vote with their wallets and avoid Mauritius as a tourist destination.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 14, 2012, 10:00:51 AM
You have to feel for the families. When I started this thread with the question...will justice be done, I suspected that the two guys would get off. From the outset the whole of Mauritian authority did it's best to impede a successful prosecution. The Head of Security at the Hotel slowed the release of video evidence, he failed to secure the scene as did the police, an incomplete forensic investigation as done. Personally I always had my doubts about the Guilt of the older guy, I think the one who confessed and the one who got immunity were the most likely culprits...just my opinion but who can say for sure. The behaviour of all concerned in Mauritius from defence to prosecution the police and even the Judge was less than professional. From the headlines in the papers over there, one of which stated "Justice Triumphs" just about somes up the whole point of this mess, lets be seen to have a trial and protect our tourist economy at all costs even to the point of sullying the good name of the deceased and dragging her husband through the torture and pain of the murder once again. Mauritius should look at the dignity and humility of Mickey Harte and John McAreavy and hang their heads in shame. Emotions are running high but as previously pointed out we in Ireland no what happens when police steam roll their way to prosecutions, it is better that these men are free than wrongly convicted. Don't expect another trial. To end I would concur with those who say that Irish people should vote with their wallets and avoid Mauritius as a tourist destination.

well said apples - maybe you can lock this post soon too and put it all to bed. There was never going to be justice. RIP Michaela and lets hope the the McAreaveys and Hartes can get closure someday.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Bud Wiser

Agreed that perhaps the thread should be locked. My thoughts are indeed with the families and friends of the late Michaela. There is however perhaps a need for another forum if someone wants to start one and I think what has happened in relation to this case is something that is a national issue much less something that should be put to bed.

I wish to God I had the dignity of the McAreavey and Harte families but unfortunately I haven't and I am not on my own because where they got the strength from is beyond me. I felt obliged to write to the High Commissioner, not because either families would wish anyone to do so but because I feel these clowns should have some idea of how some of us in this country feel about their so called justice system. I have edited out some of the letter.

High Commissioner
7th Floor, Les Cascades Building
Edith Cavell Street
Port Louis
Dear Mr Murton,

I have just visited your country's website where I am invited to enjoy the experience of Mauritius.
Can you please advise how I could expect to do so if my wife can be murdered in the middle of the day in her own bedroom of her hotel.
Then, not alone is a crime that could have been solved by children who would only need to be old enough to play 'hide and seek'  messed up and your justice system fail completely but your country turn the trial of those accused into a laugh allowing the family of Michaela to be subjected to distasteful comments and outlandish suggestions in court.
(EDIT OUT)
I suppose some of the millions of income you were getting from vulnerable tourists like us will go to the two accused for wrongful arrest instead of to Mr McAreavy for the defamatory statements made in your supposed court of law ?

Not one cent of the millions you get for tourism will come from me, of that you can be guaranteed.

(Name)

If you wish to make your feelings known about the justice system or your concerns about visiting their country then you can email the commissioner at 'bhc@intnet.mu'

I have received no reply as yet - but I will,

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"