Why does everyone hate the Dubs?

Started by Bud Wiser, January 08, 2011, 03:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

love watching the dubs and their fans, at least they bring bit of colour and atmosphere
nil satis nisi optimum

ONeill

Love watching the Dubs. For some reason you always get value for money when they play.

I suppose some people detest them cos of the Culchie v City thing. Country yokels seems to have an ingrained hatred of the cityites, some kind of inferiority complex which manifests it in wishing ill-will on the urbans. Some claim it's the Croke Park thing - always playing on their home ground (even though Tyrone, Kerry, Armagh, Cork probably played there more often over the last 10 yrs). Some claim it's a 70s thing when the Dubs were slightly dirtier than they are now. Some say it's their arrogance/loudness. I think they're great lads altogether. 

Come...on...you....boys in blue.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

INDIANA

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on January 09, 2011, 12:30:14 AM
GAA people in Dublin are the best GAA people outside the Six Counties because the GAA is a minority sport in their county. Soccer and rugby are more popular with the general populace. Football only gets popular in the city in the summer if Dublin are on a run and people want an excuse to go pinting all day. The sports populace lives and dies with the Premiership, not the GAA.

And it's the fair weather fans that cause Dublin to be hated, the people whom you meet in your office who tell you what a great player Mark Vaughan is. He's not. Shut up. I feel sorry for real Dublin GAA people like Val Andrews or Indiana of this parish. I hope Val gets on well in Cavan. I like him.

Soccer is the most played sport in Dublin. But a lot of that is just pub football. In terms of organised sport GAA would be similar level to soccer in terms of participation and miles ahead of rugby. There is huge exaggeration in Dublin in relation to rugby. Vast tracks of the city wouldn't know a rugby ball if it hit them in the head.

The one area where the GAA has never impacted in a significant way has been the likes of Tallaght and Ballyfermot. With the exception of a few clubs in these areas these are virtually soccer strongholds.

As regards fans not liking us. Usually the surrounding Leinster counties. Like club rivalries its always your near neighbours that inspire the biggest rivalries. Further afield I generally found the fans not that bothered about the city thing.

Kildare and Laois fans probably dislike us the most. The Kildare lads on this website are grand and I've plenty of friends in Kildare but Jesus they really dont like us for the most part. I think the years in the 1990's under Micko where they should have beaten us at least twice probably bred a lot of that.

Laois- Never had a problem with any of the Laois clubs I played or managed against. But for some reason we ahte the sight of each other when wearing county jersies. Its disappointing how poisonous the rivalry is because its not a rivalry anymore -its pure poision.

Meath is a strange one. We definitely dont like each other. But I'd have no problem sitting in a Meath crowd at a championship match. Good straight talkers as regards football for the main part.

The others like Louth,Wicklow and Westmeath are usually fine. Wexford as well. Never had a problem in the main part bar Laois.

Further afield- a lot of rubbish written about our fans and the Northern counties not liking each other. Never had a problem with any of them. Great fans and they have a genuine passion for the game and when the game is over- its over.

I've loads of friends in Mayo and Kerry. So I like their fans. We get on well with Kerry fans because we cant beat them. In the main we pretend not to like each other. So many mayo lads have played for Vincents over the years that its hard for me anyway not to like them. The whole 2006 thing was exaggerated by David Brady and a few others in my opinion.

I've never personally had a problem with Cork fans but the two sets of fans in the main dont like each other. Cork always feels it should be the capital of Ireland and Dublin feels if Cork was cut off from the rest of the country into the Atlantic- it wouldnt be missed. My grandad used to say that all of Irelands anti-christs were born in Cork!
There is a big rivalry there but I think the poison element of it is media created.

As said above the fair weather fans do give the rest of us a bad name.All counties have them -just that we have a lot more of them.

Dougal Maguire

I think their fans are ok but I hate the booing that takes place when opposing teams are taking free kicks
Careful now

heffo

Quote from: sammymaguire on January 09, 2011, 12:03:01 AM
Heard on Today FM they, the senior county players have been out doing their weight training at 6.30am

That's not true.

Declan

SHEEDY

Quote from: heffo on January 09, 2011, 03:15:50 PM
Heard on Today FM they, the senior county players have been out doing their weight training at 6.30am

That's not true.
apparently it is true. sennan connell was on radio talking about how the dublin players were doing early morning training.
nil satis nisi optimum

PadraicHenryPearse

Heard 11 turned up. No Plunketts lads and obviously no crokes lads. Not sure who the 11 were.

heffo

Quote from: SHEEDY on January 09, 2011, 04:10:11 PM

That's not true.
apparently it is true. sennan connell was on radio talking about how the dublin players were doing early morning training.

Apparantly it's not. They are doing collective team fitness and ball sessions in the morning - no collective weight training has taken place since Gilroy took over.

heffo

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on January 09, 2011, 04:12:13 PM
Heard 11 turned up. Not sure who the 11 were.

If your source wishes you a good morning, I'd look out the window to double check if I were you.

Canalman

Fair comment there Indiana although factually incorrect when identifying Dublin GAA's geographical weaknesses.

GAA is doing ok in Tallaght with the following clubs there or partially based there

T Davis, St Marks, St Annes, Croí ró Naofa, St killians/Kevins, St Marys, BBstEs, St Judes, Round Towers, Faughs and Wanderers based in part of rural Tallaght. Not a bad % of the 85 or so clubs in the county. North County and north of the Royal Canal are our heartlands.

GAA wastelands are around Dun Laoghaire and inner city Dublin. Agree with you about Ballyfermot though.

We imo are not as hated as much by GAA people, but OP hit the nail on the head when he said that we are hated by barstoolers the lenght and breadth of the country and no harm there either.

People I talk to generally like the Dubs and appreciate the great games we have played in and sadly mostly lost.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: INDIANA on January 09, 2011, 11:59:12 AM
Kildare and Laois fans probably dislike us the most. The Kildare lads on this website are grand and I've plenty of friends in Kildare but Jesus they really dont like us for the most part. I think the years in the 1990's under Micko where they should have beaten us at least twice probably bred a lot of that.

I'm not sure that's true. Maybe around the border areas like Leixlip and Confey but I'd say most Kildare folk would get on quite well with the Dubs. With the number of Dubs now exiled in Kildare and with so many Kildare folk working in Dublin any rivalry that was there in the 1990s has been diluted somewhat. It certainly pales into significance compared to the greatest rivalry in Irish sport between two corporations from the North-West of England if the childish nonsense on here today is anything to go by  ::)

The games in the 1990s between the two teams turned fairly sour IIRC. I suppose the Dwyer factor had a lot to do with that as Dublin teams under Paddy Cullen and Pat O'Neill were desperate to beat a team managed by Dwyer. I recall one particular incident during a league match in Newbridge when Pat O'Neill and Dwyer had a heated exchange on the sideline - O'Neill kept shouting "up the mercenaries" which didn't go down too well naturally enough! Dublin were the better team in the early clashes in the 90s but Kildare should definitely have won in 1994 on the day that the publicans went on strike. Ken Doyle kicked a point in injury time but Redmond went up and got an equaliser with the last kick. Kildare were too young and naive for Dublin at that time and Dublin bullied them out of the replay. Any lingering bad memories from those matches were erased in 1998 and particularly 2000 for me anyway.

I'd say most genuine GAA people around the country have a healthy respect for Dublin. Dublin supporters are as loyal and knowledgable as they come and are good craic for the most part. They do have a certain breed of fan that crawls out of the woodwork for the big day but most counties have that bandwagon element (Kildare in particular unfortunately). Given Dublin's population it is only natural that this bandwagon element is a lot more noticable than with most other counties. I'd have great respect for a lot of Dublin players - both Barney Rock and Jack Sheedy have managed teams to win the Kildare SFC in recent years. What I don't like about Dublin is the media hype and bullsh1t which I'm sure most Dubs fans would want to do without. I can't remember which paper it was in but I read one of these sport previews for 2011 recently in which several journalists/pundits were asked about their hopes and predictions for the year. The old chestnut of "the GAA needs Dublin to win an All-Ireland" reared its head again and one pundit said he hoped Dublin would win Sam Maguire because they've been waiting long enough. I can understand that kind of crap annoying people outside the capital. 16 years is hardly a famine - try waiting 83 years!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: SHEEDY on January 09, 2011, 04:10:11 PM

That's not true.

Is Senan Connell a bit of a dope?

Canalman

Dubs are training in the morning alright BUT ARE NOT DOING WEIGHT TRAINING. Afaik it is for the month of January only . St Vincents did it I think for a while the year they won the AICF.

Imo more of a psychological "team bonding" type of exercise than anything else. Not too sure whether the Crokes lads are there yet but Gilroy is somewhat hamstrung in that regard given the blanket hardline approach of St Vincents towards county training that successful year ( which of course was their entitlement).

heffo