Why does everyone hate the Dubs?

Started by Bud Wiser, January 08, 2011, 03:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Maybe 'hate' is too strong a word but from the time I was a nipper all I ever remember was a constant form of hatred for Dublin and if I were to be honest that grew into my head as well. even though I was living in Dublin from 18yrs old.   It was always ABD, anyone but Dublin and Dirty Dublin etc, etc, and I still know of people down the country who nearly get into the TV's in the pubs to shout abuse at Dublin or rub their hands gleefully when they are being beaten?   

Where did it all start, or when?  Does it go back to 1916 when we thought the Dubs were out on the roof of the GPO robbing the lead while the rest of the country were inside fighting or does it go back to the time of the Teddyboys or where did it begin.  Has every county their own particular reason, I think in Laois it began either over a fight in O'Moore Park or because John Timmons took a sideline ball (a corner) in Dr Cullen Park and Mickey Whelan headed the ball into the net aka Wayne Rooney?  That still does not explain the same venom meeted out to the poor ould Dubs from other counties though so where did it all begin to reach an extent that it is generally 1 against 31 ?  Just wondering?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 08, 2011, 03:36:01 PM
Maybe 'hate' is too strong a word but from the time I was a nipper all I ever remember was a constant form of hatred for Dublin and if I were to be honest that grew into my head as well. even though I was living in Dublin from 18yrs old.   It was always ABD, anyone but Dublin and Dirty Dublin etc, etc, and I still know of people down the country who nearly get into the TV's in the pubs to shout abuse at Dublin or rub their hands gleefully when they are being beaten?   

Where did it all start, or when?  Does it go back to 1916 when we thought the Dubs were out on the roof of the GPO robbing the lead while the rest of the country were inside fighting or does it go back to the time of the Teddyboys or where did it begin.  Has every county their own particular reason, I think in Laois it began either over a fight in O'Moore Park or because John Timmons took a sideline ball (a corner) in Dr Cullen Park and Mickey Whelan headed the ball into the net aka Wayne Rooney?  That still does not explain the same venom meeted out to the poor ould Dubs from other counties though so where did it all begin to reach an extent that it is generally 1 against 31 ?  Just wondering?
A few were inside fighting. Many, many more were away fighting in the trenches in the uniform of the British Army.

5 Sams

From a football point of view I have nothing but respect for the Dubs and their supporters....some of the best days crack I have had after games was with the Dubs in Meaghers....whether they were playing or not...

The Aristocrat Years

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mackers

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 08, 2011, 03:44:08 PM
From a football point of view I have nothing but respect for the Dubs and their supporters....some of the best days crack I have had after games was with the Dubs in Meaghers....whether they were playing or not...

+1
A lot of the hatred of the Dubs on the board comes from our Laois posters.........
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Hardy

We don't hate them. We just pity them.

Rossfan

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 08, 2011, 03:40:53 PM
Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 08, 2011, 03:36:01 PM
1916 when we thought the Dubs were out on the roof of the GPO robbing the lead while the rest of the country were inside fighting
Many, many more were away fighting in the trenches in the uniform of the British Army

Thank God most Irish people have more respect for themselves these days than to be joining that murderous organisation
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ziggysego

Hate the Dubs? Wasn't aware of any hatred. Banter, yes. Sure the same banter is bandied about each other counties, up and down the land. Don't be so sensitive.
Testing Accessibility

Bud Wiser

Like I said at the start, hate is too strong a word and I shouldn't have used it but you know what I mean.  It would be rare to walk into a pub in the country and see a crowd around the telly roaring on the Dubs, unless they were from Dublin.  Almost every time they will be cheering for the other team.  I agree there is great banter between us all now and there is always good craic in the Dublin pubs on match days but that wasn't always the case.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Puckoon

comethekingdom

sammymaguire

Heard on Today FM they, the senior county players have been out doing their weight training at 6.30am
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

under the bar

Everyone does not hate the dubs, but we all like to see them bate.

Simple reason is Dublin is/was the place with all the opportunities in terms of jobs and education.  In years gone by the best footballers and hurlers were identified for Garda jobs and posted to Dublin so they could play for the county, thus doubley sickeing the county of origin when they were beat.  Was there not a Dublin AI winning hurling team with only 1 or 2 Dubs on the team?

Despite all this Dub GAA people are the salt of the earth.  They have plenty of other pastimes or distractions  (unlike most other counties) but they choose to support the GAA and most do so without arrogance or undue expectation.

GAA Dubs AbĂș!

IolarCoisCuain

GAA people in Dublin are the best GAA people outside the Six Counties because the GAA is a minority sport in their county. Soccer and rugby are more popular with the general populace. Football only gets popular in the city in the summer if Dublin are on a run and people want an excuse to go pinting all day. The sports populace lives and dies with the Premiership, not the GAA.

And it's the fair weather fans that cause Dublin to be hated, the people whom you meet in your office who tell you what a great player Mark Vaughan is. He's not. Shut up. I feel sorry for real Dublin GAA people like Val Andrews or Indiana of this parish. I hope Val gets on well in Cavan. I like him.

illdecide

I loved when Armagh played Dublin as the craic was great and the atmosphere was fantastic, i think the counties around Dublin hate dislike Dublin simply as rivalry and maybe because of their success (albeit a few decades ago).

Another big reason for it is the CITY factor,city folk are not liked by the rural lads and it's the same in Belfast. I think most of the Belfast City men are arrogant and they think they have the given right to win and how dare you put it up to them but personally i have nothing against them as it's not their fault where they were brought up ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch