Why do Northern Irish Nationalists call St.Stephens or Stephens Day, Boxing Day?

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, December 16, 2010, 12:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: Orior on December 16, 2010, 11:32:58 AM
To those who say its all irrelevant....

The St Stephen's Day/Boxing Day thing is a small example of how the "Irishness" of northern nationalists has been eroded away. On its own, its a tiny matter, but its death by a thousand cuts. I thank the Irish News for their persistance with the name.

The english want northern nationalists to fall in line with OWC claiming that the six counties will be a better happier place. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll continute to use St Stephen's Day.

+1
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

deiseach

The english want northern nationalists to fall in line with OWC claiming that the six counties will be a better happier place. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll continute to use St Stephen's Day.

As British as Finchley, eh?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: deiseach on December 16, 2010, 11:28:39 AM
So - have we established, as a rule, whether Taigs in the North call it St Stephen's Day or Boxing Day?

Both are used but Boxing Day is much more common.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

snoopdog

who gives a fook
I live in dublin and i call it boxing day just to annoy people stupid enough to worry about it and when im home vice versa.
Get a life FFS

Aerlik

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

balladmaker

QuoteWTF is a "Northern Irish nationalist"?

Don't quote me on this, but I think it is an Irish nationalist who lives in the north.

ziggysego

Quote from: balladmaker on December 16, 2010, 02:37:35 PM
QuoteWTF is a "Northern Irish nationalist"?

Don't quote me on this, but I think it is an Irish nationalist who lives in the north.

Wouldn't that be a northern Irish nationalist then?
Testing Accessibility

Estimator

At the risk of repeating myself, why are southerns so adamant about calling the 26th December - St Stephens Day, yet other saints days do not have the same level of importance.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Tubberman

QuoteAt the risk of repeating myself, why are southerns so adamant about calling the 26th December - St Stephens Day, yet other saints days do not have the same level of importance.

No, not all saints days have the same importance.
St Patrick's Day and St Stephen's Day are the two I can think of that are called that by everyone.
St Brigid's Day is called that by a lot of people, used to be when we were making the crosses in school anyway...

To turn the question, why are the British so adamant about calling the 26th December Boxing Day?
Answer: Because that's what they were brought up calling it, and that's what most people around them call it.
No big deal...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Puckoon

To those who say its all irrelevant....

The St Stephen's Day/Boxing Day thing is a small example of how the "Irishness" of northern nationalists has been eroded away. On its own, its a tiny matter, but its death by a thousand cuts. I thank the Irish News for their persistance with the name.

I really thought you had a clue. The subliminal messaging in the Tv times - those (English) bastards.

The 'Irishness' started eroding at a ferocuious pace as we gradually we turned into a shower of selfish, whoring, intolerant, racist shites - who'd trample over their neighbour these days for a quick buck instead of lending a hand. Lets try and fix that first (if we can), and leave the stand against semantics to those with really nothing else to live for.

Rouge_Diablo

Quote from: Puckoon on December 16, 2010, 03:07:39 PM
The 'Irishness' started eroding at a ferocuious pace as we gradually we turned into a shower of selfish, whoring, intolerant, racist shites - who'd trample over their neighbour these days for a quick buck instead of lending a hand. Lets try and fix that first (if we can), and leave the stand against semantics to those with really nothing else to live for.

Surely the fact that we turned into a shower of selfish, whoring, intolerant, racist shites - who'd trample over their neighbour these days for a quick buck instead of lending a hand put "us" on more of a par with all the rest of the "Irish"

Tubberman

Quote from: Rouge_Diablo on December 16, 2010, 03:14:40 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on December 16, 2010, 03:07:39 PM

Surely the fact that we turned into a shower of selfish, whoring, intolerant, racist shites - who'd trample over their neighbour these days for a quick buck instead of lending a hand put "us" on more of a par with all the rest of the "Irish"

Who are you to call me a "selfish, whoring, intolerant, racist shite"
To paraphrase Mrs Doyle "I'll shove that fckin' pitchfork up your hole!"  :D ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Puckoon

A man could be forgiven for thinking that it applies to the whole nation RD. Point remaining that it highlights the futility of the discussion! Sad that a situation exists where there is still room for critique and suggestion over what term you use to call a particular day - and furthermore that it is part of a plot by the auld enemy to mindfuck us into peaceful submission.

Banana Man

lads i can guarantee in the next few years we won't be discussing if it's st stephens day or boxing day but it will be wether we are allowed to refer to Christmas as exactly that 'Christmas' or will we have to use the term 'the holiday season' like they do in the states, eroding all sign of Christianity....