NFL Fantasy Football - GAABoard Superbowl 2023

Started by AZOffaly, June 03, 2010, 09:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Question

Yes
No

RealSpiritof98

Any chance of a 9pm start will give me a chance of first few rounds as im working at 10pm, if not then thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 04, 2015, 12:50:51 PM
Well done on the Montana draft last night. I had to head off and was trying to get back on via the phone (battery eventually died) so apologies if I held things up once or twice. Never been as underprepared (bar my first year) so not even too sure if I'm happy with my lot or not. One or two kickass outfits picked though from a quick glance.
Good idea or bad idea to pick the suspended Steelers RB in the first round?
I'm involved in my first draft later on and haven't much of a clue! But I'm told go RBs early and often!

AZOffaly

oakleaflad

Quote from: Hound on September 08, 2015, 04:41:19 PM
Well done on the Montana draft last night. I had to head off and was trying to get back on via the phone (battery eventually died) so apologies if I held things up once or twice. Never been as underprepared (bar my first year) so not even too sure if I'm happy with my lot or not. One or two kickass outfits picked though from a quick glance.
I'm involved in my first draft later on and haven't much of a clue! But I'm told go RBs early and often!
In the first round - easiest yes you will get. He'll be in the equation for first overall pick too.
He went a long way to me winning the division last year and he went first overall in the Payton draft this year.
If you have any spare time do a mock ten team draft on Yahoo before the gaaboard one, I did that and i think it helped.

Minder

Quote from: Hound on September 08, 2015, 04:41:19 PM

Yeah take him, he is #1 pick in a lot of drafts & I would pick up De Angelo Williams in later rounds as he will be filling in for him in the games he is banned.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

Could someone explain to me why it's almost a universal no-no to draft a QB straight off, as I usually do to guffaws.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RealSpiritof98

i think its because the majority of them score very well anyway, whereas there's a vast scoring difference between the top quality RBs and average ones. My 1st ever draft pick was Payton Manning, thought i was god!!!!

Oraisteach

Really, I've no problem with drafting a stud QB in the first round, but the pool of valuable RBs dwindles very fast, and if you don't get an elite QB you can still get a serviceable QB pretty late in the draft.  Last night, I participated in a 16-team draft, and 3 QBs went in Round 1.  I was still able to get Tannahill much later, an adequate QB if not a superstar.

AZOffaly

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on September 08, 2015, 11:55:58 PM
i think its because the majority of them score very well anyway, whereas there's a vast scoring difference between the top quality RBs and average ones. My 1st ever draft pick was Payton Manning, thought i was god!!!!

Quote from: Oraisteach on September 09, 2015, 12:21:18 AM
Really, I've no problem with drafting a stud QB in the first round, but the pool of valuable RBs dwindles very fast, and if you don't get an elite QB you can still get a serviceable QB pretty late in the draft.  Last night, I participated in a 16-team draft, and 3 QBs went in Round 1.  I was still able to get Tannahill much later, an adequate QB if not a superstar.

That's it in a nutshell. You're always trying to balance supply v demand. If you have a savage QB, like Manning last year or Rodgers, it's not a stretch that they would go in the first round, however once you get below that, on a per week basis, there wouldn't be a huge difference between the 3rd and 10th guy say.  Given that you only have to fill 1 QB slot on your roster every week, the 6th best QB could be someone like Romo or Roethlisberger and that would be perfectly serviceable.

When you are trying to draft a top RB or WR (esp in a PPR league) if you pass on them to get a QB in round 1, the chances are that you'll end up with no 'big' WR or no big 'RB'. The difference in points between the 3rd or 4th best RB and the 20th best RB might be very substantial.

The same thing with Tight Ends. Gronk or recent year Graham would have been first round picks and no one would bat an eyelid. But if you miss on those two because you are getting WR/RB then there's no rush to pick another TE because of the same reason. The difference between 3rd and 10th or 12th might be quite small on average (obviously there'll be outstanding weeks etc) so you can hold fire until you're comfortable.

Another thing is the way the draft itself is going. If there's a run on QBs for some reason in a particular round, like the 3rd or 4th, and you really want a particular guy, you might have to do there. On the TE front, Travis Kelce for KC is causing some lads to reach a bit this year too because Gronk gets picked and rather than wait, Kelce is going soon after.

Fermanaghandsam

I seen there is now 11 in the Jerry Rice League AZoffaly, is an uneven number ok?

All the other leagues I have are even numbers

oakleaflad

Quote from: Fermanaghandsam on September 09, 2015, 12:09:13 PM
I seen there is now 11 in the Jerry Rice League AZoffaly, is an uneven number ok?

I can make it 12 if needed, still have the renewal invite.

AZOffaly

Quote from: oakleaflad on September 09, 2015, 12:12:09 PM
Quote from: Fermanaghandsam on September 09, 2015, 12:09:13 PM

I can make it 12 if needed, still have the renewal invite.

Back to 10 now. After weeks of waiting for TroyPolamayo to join, they joined twice :) I removed the second one, as I think it was because I sent a renewal invite, and another invite. He accepted both, eventually.

It's locked at 10 now lads, draft at 9.30 tonight. Sorry, Spirit, I can't do earlier myself tonight.

gallsman

In my other league on ESPN, I was last pick in 12 team draft. Ended up with Rivers, Kelce, Julio Jones, Andre Johnson, Jeremy Hill and Carlos Hyde. Running back situation isn't great but I don't think that's a bad offense from the last draft position!

AZOffaly

I presume Julio Jones didn't fall to the third round?