Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Been Zwifting with an ordinary turbo up to now but eyeing up Smart turbos & Direct Drive Units,  think I'll go all in with a Direct Drive unit in the Autumn.

Franko

Quote from: AQMP on March 05, 2018, 09:26:44 AM
"Sir" David Brailsford and "Sir" Bradley Wiggins effectively cheating and "Lord" Coe misleading the Parliamentary Committee.  "Sir" Mohammed Farah getting mention too.  Who gives out these feckin gongs??!!

Paula Radcliffe MBE is no saint either.

bennydorano

Has something new entered the public domain in regards to Wiggins?(bar the Select Committee report). Think I'm missing something.

gallsman

Quote from: bennydorano on March 06, 2018, 06:42:35 PM
Has something new entered the public domain in regards to Wiggins?(bar the Select Committee report). Think I'm missing something.

No no, you're just willfully misguided and getting on as if a damming parliamentary report isn't news.

bennydorano

So no new actual information that hasn't been in the public domain already.

lfdown2

Quote from: heffo on March 06, 2018, 02:37:29 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on March 06, 2018, 12:28:05 PM
Quote from: maco on December 18, 2017, 12:35:48 AM
Yes, I've recently started using Zwift. I've done a couple of FTP tests, some group training rides, designed a couple of short workouts, and done one TT. Have to say it takes the boredom out of turbo training. Great job in my opinion.

Could anyone recommend a turbo (mid level pricing) that is fully equipped to work with zwift? Been toying with the idea for a while but not 100% sure on turbo requirements.

Any turbo will work with Zwift once you have a Cadence & speed sensor.

If you mean a Smart Turbo that will adjust automatically if you choose a hilly course or create a custom workout - I use this one - https://tacx.com/product/vortex-smart/

Cheers, is that good to go straight out of the box? Apart from the zwift bit obviously.

heffo

Quote from: lfdown2 on March 09, 2018, 08:14:28 PM
Quote from: heffo on March 06, 2018, 02:37:29 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on March 06, 2018, 12:28:05 PM
Quote from: maco on December 18, 2017, 12:35:48 AM
Yes, I've recently started using Zwift. I've done a couple of FTP tests, some group training rides, designed a couple of short workouts, and done one TT. Have to say it takes the boredom out of turbo training. Great job in my opinion.

Could anyone recommend a turbo (mid level pricing) that is fully equipped to work with zwift? Been toying with the idea for a while but not 100% sure on turbo requirements.

Pretty much, just connect it via Bluetooth to whatever device - Laptop/phone/iPad etc, update the software and calibrate it first time - ready to go in about two minutes.

Any turbo will work with Zwift once you have a Cadence & speed sensor.

If you mean a Smart Turbo that will adjust automatically if you choose a hilly course or create a custom workout - I use this one - https://tacx.com/product/vortex-smart/

Cheers, is that good to go straight out of the box? Apart from the zwift bit obviously.

lfdown2

gallsman

Dan Martin went flying past experience at the beginning of the last lap of the Volta and crashed a few mins later. He's just finished and looks to be ok.

illdecide

Lads i know i've been cycling now for about 3 years and should be a bit more tuned into specifications on my bike but i'm not, when guys are cycling along with me and ask me whats what on my bike and what wheels etc i have that blank look on my face. It's only recently i'm trying to take a bit more interest and when discussing wheels i'd just say "they're round, that'll do me" but i'm realising now that it's a bit more scientific than that, I'm currently riding a Specialized Tarmac with Ultegra brakes, gears etc but the crank is carbon. The wheels are Fulcrum racing S-19 light and my question to you more seasoned cyclists is how much more can a better set of wheels be on your bike? Is the wheels on my bike crap? and what sort of wheels should i be looking for to ungrade too? There is a guy in my work here who rides for Phoenix club in Belfast and he's telling me he has wheels at £1800 and wheels at £750 and he said he can't tell the difference in quality between them...

So whats the craic with these wheels...I mean if my wheels are worth £150 - £180 and i buy a new set worth £500 - £600 what difference will i see (I know the level i'm riding at i'll certainly not be paying anything over £600 - £700 for a wheel upgrade...Please advise based on your own experice
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

maddog

Quote from: illdecide on March 26, 2018, 10:31:05 AM
Lads i know i've been cycling now for about 3 years and should be a bit more tuned into specifications on my bike but i'm not, when guys are cycling along with me and ask me whats what on my bike and what wheels etc i have that blank look on my face. It's only recently i'm trying to take a bit more interest and when discussing wheels i'd just say "they're round, that'll do me" but i'm realising now that it's a bit more scientific than that, I'm currently riding a Specialized Tarmac with Ultegra brakes, gears etc but the crank is carbon. The wheels are Fulcrum racing S-19 light and my question to you more seasoned cyclists is how much more can a better set of wheels be on your bike? Is the wheels on my bike crap? and what sort of wheels should i be looking for to ungrade too? There is a guy in my work here who rides for Phoenix club in Belfast and he's telling me he has wheels at £1800 and wheels at £750 and he said he can't tell the difference in quality between them...

So whats the craic with these wheels...I mean if my wheels are worth £150 - £180 and i buy a new set worth £500 - £600 what difference will i see (I know the level i'm riding at i'll certainly not be paying anything over £600 - £700 for a wheel upgrade...Please advise based on your own experice

If you aren't racing then your set up is more than adequate. Ride away at them until they wear out.

bennydorano

I've had numerous different sets of wheels from entry level to the full carbon set that are on my new yoke, I still have a favourite go to set and they are Fulcrum Quattros that cost in around £250. I've had Fulcrum 3s, Fulcrum Zeros all much dearer but still prefer the Quattros. So I wud tend to agree more money doesn't necessarily mean better - you need to get something that suits you. I felt the Fulcrum Zeros (alloy) were pure pish mainly because I thought they were not sturdy enough for me. Different kettle of fish if you're a 9 stone lightweight I suppose.

Going from entry level wheels to a good set will undoubtedly make a big difference to your performance tho.

Edit: Don't skimp on the rubber, good set of tyres makes a huge difference too. I tend to stick  with Conti GP 4000s

grounded

Quote from: maddog on March 26, 2018, 10:39:01 AM
Quote from: illdecide on March 26, 2018, 10:31:05 AM

If you aren't racing then your set up is more than adequate. Ride away at them until they wear out.

Great advice. The wheels you have actually pretty good. Unless you are racing or time trialing i dont see the need for anything else. Good tyres as benny says are a much better investment. As Eddy once said "don't buy upgrades, ride up grades"

illdecide

Yes i hear you and don't disagree, i'm 3 years into cycling and go out with the club who normally have a good mixture of A & B riders. I'm quite competitive which probably comes from my football days and would normally hang on like a man with no arms rather than get dropped so would like to improve but at the same time i have to appreciate the level i'm riding at and i don't race or do time trials.
Basically i've only ever had the wheels that have come with my bike so won't know the difference and when i hear your experiences of mega bucks for wheels where you find a much cheaper set every bit as good is worrying. I spoke with a few guys yesterday who have all said their dearest carbon wheels were a waste of money and they'd never spend that much on wheels again...I suppose the old saying "pedal harder" is the answer...lol

I'm actually in the process of buying 2 new tyres so the Conti GP 4000s you reckon are good decent tyres?

Guys appreciate the help and advice...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

gerry

I have bought two sets of mavic wheels via cycle to work scheme.  Although the guys are right unless you are doing TT"s or regularly are doing above 23mph they aren't much of an advantage but they look good.   With regard to the tyres you won't go wrong with the 4000s inflated to the right pressure.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,