10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

toby47

Quote from: Waataboutyee on November 28, 2017, 12:29:25 PM
Quote from: toby47 on November 28, 2017, 10:35:04 AM
Quote from: seanyb1 on November 28, 2017, 09:13:14 AM
Managerial merry go round..Could we fill in the blanks?

Bellaghy - joe cassidy
Ballinascreen - Barry Dillon
Ballinderry - harte & o'donnell
Claudy - Chris Collins
Coleraine - sean mcgoldrick
Dungiven -
Glen - Enda Gormley & Seamus Doyle
Glenullin -
Greenlough - naill conway
Kilrea -
Lavey - brennan & seamus downey
Loup - kevin coary
Magherafelt - Adrian Cush           Ex Tyrone player Adrian Cush?
Newbridge - paddy bradley
Slaughtneil -  8)
Swatragh - Michael O'Kane

seanyb1

Quote from: toby47 on November 28, 2017, 02:54:09 PM
Quote from: Waataboutyee on November 28, 2017, 12:29:25 PM
Quote from: toby47 on November 28, 2017, 10:35:04 AM
Quote from: seanyb1 on November 28, 2017, 09:13:14 AM
Managerial merry go round..Could we fill in the blanks?

Bellaghy - joe cassidy
Ballinascreen - Barry Dillon
Ballinderry - harte & o'donnell
Claudy - Chris Collins
Coleraine - sean mcgoldrick
Dungiven -
Glen - Enda Gormley & Seamus Doyle
Glenullin -
Greenlough - naill conway
Kilrea -
Lavey - brennan & seamus downey
Loup - kevin coary
Magherafelt - Adrian Cush           Ex Tyrone player Adrian Cush?
Newbridge - paddy bradley
Slaughtneil -  8)
Swatragh - Michael O'Kane
first i heard about Adrian Cush, I assume it is him (ex tyrone player)

uimhr ocht

Do the clubs have a vote in regards to the changing of underage structure next year?the ccc are going to make the decision I believe.if they decide to change it probably would make sense to bring it in next year rather than delay for another season.

Keyser soze

The views of the clubs were sought on this matter, not sure if it was a 'vote' per se. Happened about about a week ago.

Fr. Cyril McDuff

Quote from: uimhr ocht on November 30, 2017, 09:20:45 AM
Do the clubs have a vote in regards to the changing of underage structure next year?the ccc are going to make the decision I believe.if they decide to change it probably would make sense to bring it in next year rather than delay for another season.

What about all the lads who were expecting to play minor club football in the coming year?
I get why the change is being made but most 18 year olds aren't ready for senior football and reserve football is a shambles. Changing to U17 at club level would be fine if there was a vibrant reserve or U20 structure already in place. In Derry this is not the case. Imo they need to sort what's happening with U20 first and run it for a season before any change is made to club minors.
Clubs will lose players who would otherwise still be playing. Some will go to soccer/rugby some will quit sport completely.
The decision to change to U17 was made to suit the elite player (those on schools, club senior and county minor squads) and not the majority - a common theme. Someone who just plays for their club minor team should be able to combine this with exams etc fairly easily.

Keyser soze

Quote from: Fr. Cyril McDuff on November 30, 2017, 11:23:07 AM
Quote from: uimhr ocht on November 30, 2017, 09:20:45 AM

What about all the lads who were expecting to play minor club football in the coming year?
I get why the change is being made but most 18 year olds aren't ready for senior football and reserve football is a shambles. Changing to U17 at club level would be fine if there was a vibrant reserve or U20 structure already in place. In Derry this is not the case. Imo they need to sort what's happening with U20 first and run it for a season before any change is made to club minors.
Clubs will lose players who would otherwise still be playing. Some will go to soccer/rugby some will quit sport completely.
The decision to change to U17 was made to suit the elite player (those on schools, club senior and county minor squads) and not the majority - a common theme. Someone who just plays for their club minor team should be able to combine this with exams etc fairly easily.

I agree with what you are saying but the issue has been made very complex by the changes at county level in that county training/matches etc will now affect how both U16 and U18 competitions will be run off whereas before it impacted only on the U18 age group. The rationale in aligning them [at U15 & U17] is to diminish the impact on club competitions. I predict the county board will go ahead and change this for 2018 competitions as it will be changed at Congress next year anyway.

Really crap especially for players who will miss their last year of minor at both club and county level. IMO the whole thing is a complete pot of piss engineered by that clown Duffy to mark his 'legacy'. More players will be quitting GAA at an earlier age than before under this scheme. I would say this will revert back to the status quo ante at the earliest opportunity. 

Derry Optimist

Having just seen the McKenna Cup draw, does anyone know  if Damian McErlain and most of the other County managers are carrying on the proud and fair  tradition of previous  managers releasing their college-based players to play for the colleges,especially in the group stages of the competition?

restorepride

Quote from: Derry Optimist on November 30, 2017, 08:35:30 PM
Having just seen the McKenna Cup draw, does anyone know  if Damian McErlain and most of the other County managers are carrying on the proud and fair  tradition of previous  managers releasing their college-based players to play for the colleges,especially in the group stages of the competition?
No doubt Mickey Harte will continue with his unfair and not so proud tradition!

thepundit

Quote from: restorepride on November 30, 2017, 11:01:33 PM
Quote from: Derry Optimist on November 30, 2017, 08:35:30 PM
No doubt Mickey Harte will continue with his unfair and not so proud tradition!

Yes this is true that this is a tradition in the McKenna Cup. But can Damien really let all his college players play for their universities. From all reports I have heard Damien is carrying a 26 man panel and that's including the Slaughtneil contingent. With his squad being extremely young by all reports, surely he wouldn't even have 15 men to field!!

Wildweasel74

Why only carry a 26 man panel this time of year; has he narrowed down the panel to the bare mininium without seeing how half perform on a county panel! Theres enough players in derry without the need for uni players and some seasoned lkayers who need a rest: if all the best players make themselves available and are actually selected!

South Derry fan

To add to what the weasel has said we should have more than enough quality players in Derry to compete in the McKenna cup and Div 3 of the NFL until the Slaughtneill players are available. The panel from last year added to by the stay away players should leave us very competitive. Have all the players who opted out last year made themselves available again? Why has no panel been announced yet?

Derry Optimist

It has been said that there are only 26 players,including the Slaughtneil contingent, on the Derry Senior football panel.As one would expect that there would be at least 7 Slaughtneil men - ie A McMullan,the two McKaigues,Brendan Rogers,Padraig Cassidy,Christopher Bradley and Shane McGuigan - on the squad that would mean that there would only be 19 players available for the McKenna Cup.
I think that it is extremely doubtful that Damian McErlain would  prepare for the League with such a limited number of players.
Anyhow we are only,I hope,in the realm of unfounded speculation.Going by his record of publicly announcing his minor panels,well in advance, over the last three years one would expect that an announcement of his present plans,including names of panellists, both for the McKenna Cup and League would be imminent.

restorepride

Quote from: South Derry fan on December 03, 2017, 04:46:21 PM
To add to what the weasel has said we should have more than enough quality players in Derry to compete in the McKenna cup and Div 3 of the NFL until the Slaughtneill players are available. The panel from last year added to by the stay away players should leave us very competitive. Have all the players who opted out last year made themselves available again? Why has no panel been announced yet?
Keep an eye on the Derry website as that is how panels are normally announced.

toby47

Quote from: Derry Optimist on December 03, 2017, 07:36:06 PM
It has been said that there are only 26 players,including the Slaughtneil contingent, on the Derry Senior football panel.As one would expect that there would be at least 7 Slaughtneil men - ie A McMullan,the two McKaigues,Brendan Rogers,Padraig Cassidy,Christopher Bradley and Shane McGuigan - on the squad that would mean that there would only be 19 players available for the McKenna Cup.
I think that it is extremely doubtful that Damian McErlain would  prepare for the League with such a limited number of players.
Anyhow we are only,I hope,in the realm of unfounded speculation.Going by his record of publicly announcing his minor panels,well in advance, over the last three years one would expect that an announcement of his present plans,including names of panellists, both for the McKenna Cup and League would be imminent.

Talking to a panellist over the weekend, I had asked how many were up training and he said not a lot. Didn't give me an exact number of the men but said they were missing 7(good guess you were correct) slaughtneil men until at lease Feb. Michael Bateson was with Newbridge so had joined late and then 2/3 men with niggles/injuries.

McKenna Cup isn't a worry for me at all, but Derry need to hit the ground running in the league if they want to get out of Divison 3.

On a side note, has anyone heard the reason for him leaving out Danny Heavron? Heard Damien had rang a few of the boys who were on the panel last year but not this year with his reasons for not including them but Heavron hasn't been contacted at all?

Derry Optimist

Would be really disappointed if Danny Heavron was not on this  year's Derry panel.He was our best   and most consistent player by a country mile over the last few years.As a fellow club man one would think that  it would be highly unlikely if Damian McErlain did not contact Danny but Toby seems to be adamant that he did not.

For whatever reason it is imperative that all of our best players are available in order to move Derry forward into Division Two and make them more competitive in the championship.Leaders on the field are required and Heavron is one of the best in that regard as well as being a really talented player.