Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stalwart

Begrudgery at its best, rugby / state schools give the Wednesday afternoon for extra curricular activities and they get up on 4 points for it.brian mc Laughlin ex ulster coach used to coach inst or rabai and was on a ransom. Do the nay Sayers on this board expect people to coach Gaelic games in school for nothing when other teachers get paid for promoting economic awareness in an after schools lesson?

Line Ball

Is it any wonder why some of these men I know do little for their clubs when they are getting all this money from their schools.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on October 18, 2013, 11:15:38 PM
My mate teaches and takes hurling teams and doesent get any extra points.

Did he tell them to spend the money on the books?

Quote from: ONeill on October 18, 2013, 11:17:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2013, 11:08:43 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 18, 2013, 10:39:48 PM
Would she not do it if she wasn't getting half a point?

She did it cause she was asked, the point was a bonus. She hasn't taken the team in years now, as it wasn't worth (not monetary terms) the hassle, anyone taking the teams in schools deserves the point should they get one. You normally get extra money in any job for doing extra work, as far as I'm aware

I'd have turned the point (or half) down and told them to spend the money on books.

That's great, do the teachers get paid a point in your school for doing extra work?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

LeoMc

Quote from: The Worker on October 15, 2013, 12:14:31 PM
Ballygawley beat Lurgan 4-12 to 3-11, high scoring affair.
When did St Ciarans move up?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on October 18, 2013, 11:31:17 PM
No.

No points available for any extra curricular work? That's great, was this always the case? Why do some schools still give the points when others don't.  My mate takes the careers work in the school and she gets an extra 2 points for that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cromagh

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2013, 11:08:43 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 18, 2013, 10:39:48 PM
Would she not do it if she wasn't getting half a point?

She did it cause she was asked, the point was a bonus. She hasn't taken the team in years now, as it wasn't worth (not monetary terms) the hassle, anyone taking the teams in schools deserves the point should they get one. You normally get extra money in any job for doing extra work, as far as I'm aware

Mil town you talk some shit........I'm a teacher working heavily with teams in our school. NOBODY gets paid a point or extra money for taking teams. It's part of our job. Some people get involved. Some don't. There is no monetary reward. Only ones who gain financially from school games are the refs and clubs who provide the pitch.

Some schools have a person who is in charge of extra curricular provision in their school and get a point. For this money, that person arranges all matches, piches, refs, for all sports in that school. From my experience that's a lot of work involved. But I know No school where people get paid extra to take teams.........

Your creating a fair bit of controversy recently......

Milltown Row2

I know teachers get extra money for extra curricular work. I gave an example of my wife getting paid. If your school doesn't give money then it doesn't mean others dont.

So what's with the last point of your post?? Controversy? piss off ffs You're having a laugh

ONeill

Maghera St Patricks v Armagh St Patricks

Omagh CBS v Bessbrook St Pauls
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rionach 4

In the school I teach in one person receives a point for organising all school teams . He is in charge of all that is to do with the organising of pitches coaches referees etc. That is his post of responsibility . There are upwards on eight teams at different grades. We all coach teams at various levels and  we do it for the good of the pupils school and the game that we love. School management see gaelic games as a very integral part of school life and for the holistic education of the pupils. One point for a teacher to co-ordinate all this is a very small price to pay. The rest of us do not get paid and would certainly never seek it or want it. Nor do we resent the person who has the point for the post. It all leads to a very successful approach . I certainly wouldnt call him a 'leech'. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rionach 4 on October 19, 2013, 03:20:41 PM
In the school I teach in one person receives a point for organising all school teams . He is in charge of all that is to do with the organising of pitches coaches referees etc. That is his post of responsibility . There are upwards on eight teams at different grades. We all coach teams at various levels and  we do it for the good of the pupils school and the game that we love. School management see gaelic games as a very integral part of school life and for the holistic education of the pupils. One point for a teacher to co-ordinate all this is a very small price to pay. The rest of us do not get paid and would certainly never seek it or want it. Nor do we resent the person who has the point for the post. It all leads to a very successful approach . I certainly wouldnt call him a 'leech'.

Neither would I but when I asked the question everyone said the schools don't give a point for extra curricular activities.

One lad would prefer to give the lads books which is great. £1800 a year extra wouldn't make up for the responsibility and hassle of organising the schools games.

elk

would have thought teachers were well enough paid without the extra points.                        Someone had to say it!

Celt_Man

Right I'm gonna ask it - what in the name of jaysus is a fecking "point"???
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Estimator

It doesn't make sense for any school to give a point just for coaching one team. The board of governors must have been snoozing when that was passed. In most schools you would only get 2pts for a HoD or HoY job, which would be a lot more hassle in comparison with taking a few training sessions!
Ulster League Champions 2009

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Estimator on October 20, 2013, 08:02:30 PM
It doesn't make sense for any school to give a point just for coaching one team. The board of governors must have been snoozing when that was passed. In most schools you would only get 2pts for a HoD or HoY job, which would be a lot more hassle in comparison with taking a few training sessions!

Some schools (certainly my old school) had one teacher looking after all the hurling teams, and another teacher looking after the football teams. My school was a small secondary school so we had one team per year (maybe not, can't remember). I'd say though in the bigger schools (according to ones here) that it's not the case, and the organiser is the only one who gets a point.

In the big rugby schools and even in smaller ones they have non teaching staff paid very well to coach the rugby, and hockey teams.

Have found it strange why all the teachers who have posted on this topic be so against someone getting a few pound extra (not like kids are losing out on teaching because of it) to manage and coach teams.

I've first hand knowledge of teachers getting at least a half point for this