gallsman

Quote from: Gmac on January 09, 2021, 03:55:02 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 09, 2021, 03:48:15 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on January 09, 2021, 03:23:43 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on January 09, 2021, 12:19:37 AM
Should never have apologised

#jesuisRTE
#jesuistherighttocallgodarapist

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/archbishop-denounces-rt%C3%A9-nye-show-s-satirical-report-accusing-god-of-rape-1.4448391

Bollocks. If Trump or anyone in the GOP said this about Islam you'd be all over it like a rash.

Horseshit. One is satire, one is flat out hate speech.
i don't think devout Catholics will be be heading anyone over the insults though .

Too busy participating in or being complicit in the cover up of child rape I expect.

Rossfan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 09, 2021, 07:51:46 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 09, 2021, 06:30:42 PM
RTÉ should be apologising for 60 years of absolute disasters of "comedies".
I wonder can the Mods ban Sid as I'm fed up seeing pages full of blocked posts?
???
What has Sid done to upset you? He may be exercising his constitutional right to free speech even oif you don't agree with him, or in my case, I don't know wtf he is trying to say.
Defend Democracy!
I have him and Angelo blocked so there are often full pages of posts I don't see ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

Quote from: gallsman on January 09, 2021, 07:59:25 PM

#jesuisRTE

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/archbishop-denounces-rt%C3%A9-nye-show-s-satirical-report-accusing-god-of-rape-1.4448391

Bollocks. If Trump or anyone in the GOP said this about Islam you'd be all over it like a rash.

i don't think devout Catholics will be be heading anyone over the insults though .

Too busy participating in or being complicit in the cover up of child rape I expect.

Bollix talk, not all practising Catholics are bad. Practically every institution the world over have bad eggs, who fuk things up for the rest. Lazy narrative from a lapsed catholic.

sid waddell

It's amazing how certain posters only see the "lazy narratives" they want to see, while engaging in copious lazy or bad faith narrativising themselves

Rudi

Quote from: sid waddell on January 09, 2021, 08:28:58 PM
It's amazing how certain posters only see the "lazy narratives" they want to see, while engaging in copious lazy or bad faith narrativising themselves

You'd know all about it, the irony of your contributions here.

sid waddell

Quote from: Rudi on January 09, 2021, 08:32:08 PM

You'd know all about it, the irony of your contributions here.
Self awareness is not your strong point, nor is awareness of anything else

joemamas

Quote from: Rossfan on January 09, 2021, 08:15:36 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 09, 2021, 07:51:46 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 09, 2021, 06:30:42 PM
RTÉ should be apologising for 60 years of absolute disasters of "comedies".
I wonder can the Mods ban Sid as I'm fed up seeing pages full of blocked posts?
???
What has Sid done to upset you? He may be exercising his constitutional right to free speech even oif you don't agree with him, or in my case, I don't know wtf he is trying to say.
Defend Democracy!
I have him and Angelo blocked so there are often full pages of posts I don't see ;D

Likewise, just way too much drivel. how anyone can post four of five comments in a row mesmerizes me

Gabriel_Hurl

You accused a fellow poster of being a loyalist terrorist nazi sympathizer because of his name a few months ago. You've well and truly jumped the shark. 

sid waddell

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 09, 2021, 09:52:42 PM

You accused a fellow poster of being a loyalist terrorist nazi sympathizer because of his name a few months ago. You've well and truly jumped the shark.
Untrue if it's the same poster you're thinking of

Some lads have no sense of humour around here

Lar Naparka

Quote from: sid waddell on January 09, 2021, 04:23:12 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 09, 2021, 03:16:21 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on January 09, 2021, 12:02:29 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 09, 2021, 11:47:57 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on January 09, 2021, 10:48:05 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 09, 2021, 08:11:05 AM

#jesuisRTE

Why not, Sid?
The sole object of the exercise was to offend te religious beliefs of possibly the majority people on the island. By all accounts, the show had no cultural or artistic merit and causing extreme offence to the general public for no apparent reason isn't. IMO, enough reason to say Mac Grianna's "skit" shouldn't have been banned. He's a lucky hoor he doesn't live in Paris or he might have suffered the same fate as the Charlie Hebdo editor did when he decided t give the two fingers tp fundamentalist Muslims.
Them bastards are mad enough already without any eejit trying to stir them up.
Remember 2015 when David Quinn and the I Own Her Institute were all over #jesuischarlie and "free speech"?

Why not now?

If I were to walk up to the local bully and tell him he's a thundering bollox, the least I could expect is a belt on the nose or a kick up the hole. Telling him it's my right to offend anyone I want to will probably do no good.
Isn't that the same logic that holds "what did Manuela Riedo expect to happen when she walked along that deserted path beside the railway line"?

The George Hook logic

Why were David Quinn and the I Own Her Institute all over #jesuischarlie and "free speech" in 2015?

And why are they the exact opposite now?
With due respect, I fail to see any connection, logical or otherwise, between Ms. Riedo setting out to walk home and Fungus Mac Grianna deliberately intending to cause widespread to others. The answer to your question is obvious- she certainly didn't expect the fate that awaited her. Mac Grianna knew full well that he was going to offend others.
Dunno nothing about #jesuischarlie and googling for it didn;t enlighten me very much.
PS I have no problem with  the  skit presenters exercising their right to free speech but, by that logic, I see no reason why those who were offended should not exercise their right to object strongly
also.
The problem about the exercise of freedom of speech is that in theory it's fine but that isn't always the case in practice.

I don't see any connection between the murder of Manuela Riedo and an RTE sketch either - but then I don't see how your previous post was anything to do with the issue at hand

It seemed like an answer that had been dropped in mistakenly from another thread or something, it didn't make sense - nevertheless I ran with the logic of what you said - for some reason you created a hypothetical situation where a victim stood up to a bully and got assaulted - you seemed to blame the hypothetical victim

I referenced the murder of Manuela Riedo because it seemed relevant to the logic of your previous answer, which seemed to be that victims of assault deserve it - or that people have a responsibility to make sure they are not victims of a crime - they don't - it's the potential criminal's responsibility to make sure they don't commit a crime

Again, not sure any of that has to do with this sketch, but anyways

The sketch was done to offend others

So what

Offence is part of comedy

The issue arises when deliberate offence turns into hate speech, and I'm not sure how satirising God as a rapist is hate speech

The reason I've brought this up is that the self-styled Catholic right and their media "representatives" like the I Own Her Institute (I call them such as an insult designed to offend) have spent years as self-styled "free speech" grifters

This pro-"free speech" grifting seems to include defences of every sort of generalised hate speech and the right to make such

Six years ago they were defending the right of Charlie Hebdo to publish stuff that many Muslims in France saw as generalised race/sectarian hatred - I haven't read enough of Charlie Hebdo nor am I fluent enough in French to say whether that is indeed the case

But I know after the massacre of Charlie Hebdo staff, there were huge marches to defend the right of Charlie Hebdo and other to publish material many saw as offensive, thoroughly supported by the free speech grifters like I Own Her

#jesuischarlie hashtags were everywhere

Yet now The I Own Her Institute are all over this RTE sketch calling it blasphemous, a disgrace and shrieking that it be censored - this does not compute compared to their previous utterings

It seems like they have one rule for hate speech against everybody else and a different rule entirely for comedy sketches which ridicule anything close to their hearts
Sid, I just read the first sentence in your reply and I gave up all hope of having a sensible discussion with you.
This is what I am referring to:
"I don't see any connection between the murder of Manuela Riedo and an RTE sketch either - but then I don't see how your previous post was anything to do with the issue at hand."

Then, in the one I am quoting  now you came up with this:

"Isn't that the same logic that holds "what did Manuela Riedo expect to happen when she walked along that deserted path beside the railway line"?

If you can't see a contradiction here, you are gone past redemption as I know it.
I know you are a Dublin supporter and logic rests lightly on the shoulders of those who support the Blues but howe you can see a connection between the rape and murder of a defenceless young woman and an unfunny and to many offensive poorly-writtten script from RTE beats me.
Bridget and Eamon is a work of art when compared to this dollop of horseshit and talking about the right of anyone to exercising freedom of speech at taxpayers' money is a travesty of justice.
So David Quinn and the Iona Institute are shrieking about something or other. So what? Them hoors have turned shrieking into an art form. But, by all accounts, RTE have received a huge number of complaints from the general public and have reacted accordingly.
I really can't understand what you're complaining about.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

gallsman

Quote from: Rudi on January 09, 2021, 08:19:00 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 09, 2021, 07:59:25 PM

#jesuisRTE

Bollix talk, not all practising Catholics are bad. Practically every institution the world over have bad eggs, who fuk things up for the rest. Lazy narrative from a lapsed catholic.

Of course "not all practising Catholics are bad" ffs. I would venture further than your oh so ringing endorsement as to say 99.99999999% of practicing Catholics are good.

The point was to completely ridicule his introduction of "Catholics won't behead people" to a discussion about satirising religion, in this case Catholicism and Islam. Maybe I'll go for a less subtle approach in future and draw it in crayon for you.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: sid waddell on January 09, 2021, 10:47:48 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 09, 2021, 09:52:42 PM

Untrue if it's the same poster you're thinking of

Some lads have no sense of humour around here

Let's take a look shall we?

Quote from: sid waddell on September 30, 2020, 04:47:31 PM
Quote from: Taylor on September 30, 2020, 02:53:41 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 30, 2020, 01:30:37 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on September 30, 2020, 01:14:32 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 30, 2020, 12:16:29 PM
Quote from: omochain on September 30, 2020, 05:00:43 AM
Democracy is on a knife edge. Unhinged Trump.. Media trying to be fair and it ain't working.
The media have enabled Trump for his whole life

They are enablers of fascism with constant false balance, false equivalence and deference

They are biased in favour of ratings even if it means they enable fascism

There will be many books written about the shameful failure of media in the face of Trump and his fascism over the last five years

No matter how many times you say Trump is a fascist, it won't make it true.

Has Biden denounced the Antifa terrorists yet? Or is he still telling people to bail them out? I mean, not even Trump said anything like that.
Some people said that about Hitler in the 1930s
'
We are living through equally dangerous times, frankly anybody who isn't invoking the historical spectre of Hitler as regards Trump isn't paying attention at all

Trump's own defence secretary invoked comparisons to the Nazis about him

I hope you can sleep, actually I hope you can't - I wouldn't if I was so shamelessly on the wrong side of history like you, but I suppose in your case the shamelessness takes care of the sleeping

Another NI Catholic who rejects the lessons of their own their Irish history and then some

People like you were the natural allies of the Glennane Gang and the likes

Wise the f**k up Sid - coming out with that shite
I see no reason to spare feelings

What I wrote is entirely legitimate opinion and believe me, I would that tell that person the exact same thing to their face

The only confusion I have is what the user name "Red Hand 88" refers to

Given this is a GAA forum I would have assumed it referred to Tyrone and perhaps the year of birth of that poster or maybe significant year in their lives

But perhaps I was mistaken in that

Given the actual views of that poster one would have to say it's not impossible that "Red Hand 88" may refer to the Red Hand Defenders and "Heil Hitler"

The poster's views are typical of the sort you would expect from people who believe in such stuff

Who knows

sid waddell

What I wrote was spot on there

Exactly which part do you have a problem with

Explain why

sid waddell

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 10, 2021, 01:43:34 AM

Sid, I just read the first sentence in your reply and I gave up all hope of having a sensible discussion with you.
This is what I am referring to:
"I don't see any connection between the murder of Manuela Riedo and an RTE sketch either - but then I don't see how your previous post was anything to do with the issue at hand."

Then, in the one I am quoting  now you came up with this:

"Isn't that the same logic that holds "what did Manuela Riedo expect to happen when she walked along that deserted path beside the railway line"?

If you can't see a contradiction here, you are gone past redemption as I know it.
I know you are a Dublin supporter and logic rests lightly on the shoulders of those who support the Blues but howe you can see a connection between the rape and murder of a defenceless young woman and an unfunny and to many offensive poorly-writtten script from RTE beats me.
Bridget and Eamon is a work of art when compared to this dollop of horseshit and talking about the right of anyone to exercising freedom of speech at taxpayers' money is a travesty of justice.
So David Quinn and the Iona Institute are shrieking about something or other. So what? Them hoors have turned shrieking into an art form. But, by all accounts, RTE have received a huge number of complaints from the general public and have reacted accordingly.
I really can't understand what you're complaining about.

I don't see a connection between Manuela Riedo's murder and the RTE sketch and already said so - so why are you saying I do?

This was the question I orginally asked you

Quote from: sid waddell on January 09, 2021, 10:48:05 AM

Remember 2015 when David Quinn and the I Own Her Institute were all over #jesuischarlie and "free speech"?

Why not now?

You responded with

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 09, 2021, 11:47:57 AM
If I were to walk up to the local bully and tell him he's a thundering bollox, the least I could expect is a belt on the nose or a kick up the hole. Telling him it's my right to offend anyone I want to will probably do no good.

But this reply made zero sense - it was a bizarre tangent - and didn't answer my question at all

Nevertheless - this bizarre tangent showed some troubling opinions on your part - you created a hypothetical scenario which showcased George Hook style victim blaming tendencies

Unprompted, seemingly from nowhere, you appeared to state that victims of assault bear some responsibility if they are assaulted - but they don't

That's why I referenced Manuela Riedo - because if one is to follow this bizarre George Hook-esque logic, one could hold that Manuela Riedo bore some responsibility for being attacked and murdered - but obviously she didn't

Anyway back to the sketch - which is what I thought we were supposed be talking about before you took us off on that tangent

I thought the sketch was both funny and well observed - it satirised religious belief about the so called "Immaculate Conception" - where Mary was impregnated with the zygote of the son of God, through no wish of her own - and compared it against current norms, as well as the #metoo movement

It was designed to offend religious sensibilities, to offend a belief, which is absolutely fair game - Father Ted did the same thing, and we all love Father Ted

I mean, in the same way, one could satirise holy communion as cannibalism - actually one doesn't have to - according to Catholic teaching itself, holy communion as given out at mass is cannibalism - as you're supposed to be eating the actual body of Christ

According to Catholic teaching itself, at mass the priest is supposed to be drinking the actual blood of Christ - so isn't this vampirism? Yes? That's what drinking the actual blood of others is

You didn't think the sketch was funny - so what - that's not a basis for an apology

The point is - why should RTE or Aengus MacGrianna apologise for what was a legitimate piece of satire?

The self proclaimed Catholic religious right have styled themselves as so called "free speech warriors" - up to and including apologism for and outright defences of many things most reasonable people would consider hate speech - they seem to be just fine with abhorrent, extreme right-wing politics worldwide

Yet now they're up in arms over this sketch - which shows them up as total and utter hypocrites who do not believe a word they previously said

It shows them up as holding moronic opinions - they think it's fine to utter hate speech against others - but it's apparently off limits to legitimately satirise the Catholic right's religious beliefs?

These are not legitimate opinions - they are moronic ones and deserve to be torn apart

This sketch wasn't hate speech - it was satire of actual religious teaching, satire of a legend from the bible

I don't see anything remotely wrong with that

Stand up comedian Kevin Bridges has based a sketch around the same thing satirised in the RTE sketch - and very funny it is too - in my opinion of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9B9UHlg3ig

RedHand88