Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themac_23

Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 21, 2015, 12:08:55 PM
People seem to forget the brilliant weather we have here. There will be umpteen games not played due to pitches being in no fit shape in many cases.

Our main pitch wont be open till April at the earliest meaning all games are on the second pitch. With it being used for training as well it wont be long before its tore into rubbish.

I hope not but with our great irish weather it will be mostly likely soaking for the month of Feb

but surely the weather is as bad in the winter months when we are completing games? i suppose the difference is the pitch is getting a bit of rest after oct etc where as from feb it isn't. DR i thought your club would be one of the ones happy with the leagues starting early and more gaps between hurling and football fixtures, especially with your football looking to be on the rise, might give lads a bit more breathing space to be dual players.

theskull1

In principle yes. Its the reality that a lot of clubs pitchs will struggle to make it viable that he's talking about.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Na Glinntí Glasa

yeah exactly as skull says it. A lot of clubs only have one pitch and they will take an awful battering from feb to march with poor weather and matches on them.

You will see a few games called off in this period thus starting the back log of fixtures.

Im all for it but its more down to the reality that games will get called off.
hurl like f**k boi!

JimStynes

It's going to make it a ridiculously long season. Training starting straight after xmas and probably not finishing up until October.

The Worker

Can county u21s play with their club before the county exits the championship ?

theskull1

Quote from: JimStynes on December 21, 2015, 07:53:03 PM
It's going to make it a ridiculously long season. Training starting straight after xmas and probably not finishing up until October.

Ridiculous. Really? Sounds a bit strong does it not?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on December 21, 2015, 08:34:54 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on December 21, 2015, 07:53:03 PM

Ridiculous. Really? Sounds a bit strong does it not?

We'd never start training first week after Xmas... Oh wait!!! Every bloody year!! Falls park Tuesdays Thursdays!! Hated them but loved them in equal measure's
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

I think it's a good idea.

Ballsy

Give it a go...whatever happens we'll all survive
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

themac_23

Quote from: Gold on December 21, 2015, 11:48:35 PM
I think it's a good idea.

Ballsy

Give it a go...whatever happens we'll all survive
exactly, something needed done, see how it goes its better than leaving it as is.

bannside

A few rounds here or there might be postponed but sure with our weather that could happen in any month. What's the worst case scenario. Clubs don't get to play in the Ulster winter league? Better to try and fail than not to try at all!

country bumpkin

As a follower of a football only club am i being paranoid or are some suggesting that football is dispatched to the winter months to leave a long summer of hurling?
Some would suggest that we have a county board dominated by hurling folk. ???

Na Glinntí Glasa

As someone from a dual club we have the headaches of football and hurling fixtures at every grade and then add to that camogie fixtures at every grade. Thats every week throughout the season.

When games are called off and need to be rearranged its a nightmare sometimes to find a free night that suits both clubs, thus causing a back log of games to be played.

I welcome the start of the football season early to try and get the games played. It also suits our dual players in the club so they can work with the football at the start of the year and not be playing 2 times a week in some cases.
hurl like f**k boi!

country bumpkin

Paranoid may well be the word Shoebox.......but hey when have the under-21 hurling finals ever been played near Christmas or have division one hurlers faced a hectic schedule of five games in a 14 day period (Sun, Wed, Sunday, Wed, and Sunday?
Lets get the hurling leagues going in February :)

bannside

Best wishes to the County senior players and management at the start of another season. A few matches coming up now which should have us in shape for Carlow at the end of the month.

bannside

We ran up against a very slick moving Derry who were very sharp for the time of the year. It's obvious they have had the football's out for a few weeks whilst we have been doing heavy gym work.  For that reason alone I'll take scoring 2-12 against them as a plus sign. Our legs will come and we will have better days. A month of legwork or matches will leave us good for the start of the league.