Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: mick999 on November 21, 2019, 02:10:35 PM
Interesting comments from John bosco o'hagan...

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/10/28/news/john-bosco-o-hagan-i-wish-i-had-never-tried-to-help-sean-quinn-1748052/
A really good piece.

You can see the goodwill to Quinn from most people around the area. But it was Quinn's greed that lost him his business and again it was his greed that has lost the goodwill of O'Hagan and his ilk.
Of course he doesn't come out and say it directly, but by the end of the interview, it seems clear that the reason that O'Hagan gave an interview about Quinn, was the Lunney torture.   2+2...

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on November 23, 2019, 10:35:57 AM
https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-move-towards-the-endgame-and-victory-over-an-untouchable-gang-38718680.html

Paul Williams, I'll say no more. He's a late comer to this story but now of course he knows everything. Seems its a gang now, what about the mysterious paymaster?

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on November 23, 2019, 11:00:29 AM
https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-move-towards-the-endgame-and-victory-over-an-untouchable-gang-38718680.html

Paul Williams, I'll say no more. He's a late comer to this story but now of course he knows everything. Seems its a gang now, what about the mysterious paymaster?
Bog standard stuff Itchy
Read the article, there's the gang, the bagman and the paymaster.
Williams has been writing about Sean Quinn/family  attacks on QIH and Anglo for years, he was also involved in the release of the Anglo Tapes and once publicly lauded as a hero by Sean Quinn

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on November 23, 2019, 12:46:13 PM

Bog standard stuff Itchy
Williams has been writing about Sean Quinn/family  attacks on QIH and Anglo for years, he was also involved in the release of the Anglo Tapes and once publicly lauded as a hero by Sean Quinn

I dont care what Sean quinn or anyone else thinks of William's. As far as I'm concerned hes a slime ball. Made his money by glorifying drug dealers and gangsters.

yellowcard

Quote from: Itchy on November 23, 2019, 02:45:19 PM

Bog standard stuff Itchy

I dont care what Sean quinn or anyone else thinks of William's. As far as I'm concerned hes a slime ball. Made his money by glorifying drug dealers and gangsters.

Is that the same Paul Williams who was previously under 24 hour Garda Protection and who received multiple death threats, you're just being daft. Those crime reporters whether or not you like them or the newspapers that they work for, are involved in a seriously risky business.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on November 23, 2019, 02:45:19 PM

Bog standard stuff Itchy

You had not read his article, yet you indicated that you had read it and offered a rubbish baseless opinion about it.
You also claimed that Williams was a latecomer to the story, when he's been writing about it for years.
As they say,  lack of sense is bad for the brain.

supersarsfields

Wonder will there be questions asked of what McCartain knew of the early attacks given some of the dialogue below.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/qih-directors-advised-online-protest-group-23fjg8bvq

Two directors of Quinn Industrial Holdings (QIH) advised and encouraged the protest campaign run by Concerned Irish Citizens (CIC) that sought to prevent the sale of companies once owned by tycoon Seán Quinn.

Emails seen by The Sunday Times show the CIC campaign was advised by Kevin Lunney, the QIH director who was abducted outside his home in Co Fermanagh in September.

Lunney prepared draft letters for CIC to send to the administrators of Quinn Insurance after it ran into financial difficulties, and he also advised a group spokeswoman, Patricia Gilheany, on what issues to raise when speaking publicly to the media.

In one email sent in 2011, Lunney told Gilheany to talk about job losses, instability and how taxpayers' money was being wasted by Anglo Irish Bank through its pursuit of Quinn after a receiver was appointed to sell its assets. The advice was given after Gilheany wrote to Lunney to say she might be invited to speak on Liveline, the RTE Radio show hosted by Joe Duffy, and she wanted to prepare for media questions.

"You should also talk about the redundancies already stated last week with more expected in the near future," wrote Lunney. The email was copied to two of Quinn's children, Seán Jr and Colette, and other parties. The Quinn family declined to comment when contacted yesterday.

CIC ran a high-profile campaign on Facebook which purported to represent the views of people in Cavan, Leitrim and Fermanagh who opposed the sale of the Quinn Group. The emails show it was provided with information and draft documents by Lunney and others who were once key figures in Quinn's organisation.

The sale of Quinn's assets triggered protests and, unrelated to those, a series of arson attacks and other forms of intimidation.

Other emails show John McCartin, a former Fine Gael councillor and non-executive director of QIH, was also in regular contact with Gilheany about the establishment of QBRC, a business entity which sought to have ownership of the companies retained locally.

In the email, McCartin complimented Gilheany for "driving OB nuts". This was a reference to Paul O'Brien, the executive appointed to oversee the sale of the businesses. He also thanked her for deterring potential investors including the Lagan Group from acquiring the assets. "We'll have to make sure you keep it up," he said.

"I think we have O'Brien under pressure. I think there's a great 'good cop, bad cop' thing going on between QBRC and CIC. We're playing it cool and level but the pressure you're putting on is very important. It shows what the alternative to dealing with us will be like," McCartin wrote in one email.

In another email, Gilheany sought permission from McCartin before posting a link to a newspaper story which had reported on his criticisms of DUP leader Arlene Foster, who had given an interview to say businesses would be reluctant to invest in the border region if the campaign of sabotage against Quinn's former companies continued.

"Probably no harm, Patricia. She deserved a slap on the wrist," wrote McCartin. "She let O'Brien make a cat's paw of her so she can suffer the consequences."

Gilheany declined to comment yesterday, citing legal reasons. McCartin referred questions to QIH when contacted. A spokesman for QIH declined to respond to specific questions about the contents of the emails but said it had always been the company's position that the businesses should remain in the locality under local management, and that anyone with information about intimidation or criminality should immediately report it to the authorities.

bannside

These men were Quinn loyalists at the time, whats wrong with that. At the time they were acting in the best interest of their employer. Things then changed, roles were reversed and these men ended up heading a new management team that investors could put their trust in....which resulted in jobs in the area being secured.

Surely you are not insinuating any of the current directors in QIH had any role in instigating anything improper or worse illegal at that time? Yes/No. If the answer is No then I fail to see the point you are trying hard to make!

supersarsfields

Quote from: bannside on November 24, 2019, 02:58:28 PM
These men were Quinn loyalists at the time, whats wrong with that. At the time they were acting in the best interest of their employer. Things then changed, roles were reversed and these men ended up heading a new management team that investors could put their trust in....which resulted in jobs in the area being secured.

Surely you are not insinuating any of the current directors in QIH had any role in instigating anything improper or worse illegal at that time? Yes/No. If the answer is No then I fail to see the point you are trying hard to make!

You can make your own mind up regarding that. People are making their own assumptions regarding SQ with a complete lack of evidence regarding him being the paymaster. Some people might now question what the directors knew about the early attacks on the business.

Itchy

Quote from: bannside on November 24, 2019, 02:58:28 PM

Is that the only conclusion you draw from that. Attacks going on today, you have no problem saying it's all big bad Sean Quinn. Attacks went on back then and it's nothing to do with McCartin or Lunney or any of those guys. Sure they were only " quinn loyalists" who just happened to buy the assets on the cheap following said violence. No that was all Sean Quinn too.

Maybe we need Paul William's to write an article about how he knew they were in it all along, give everyone nicknames.

bannside

There is more than a chance that none of the above mentioned are squeaky clean, especially with the stakes so high. But there is a big difference in being part of a plan to make it difficult for outside investors to come in, and the kind of treatment metered out to Kevin Lunney. Someone was paying someone to carry out highly illegal acts of destruction and thuggery. Someone with both means and motive. Time will tell just who was the instigator behind this long reign of terror.....because someone was!

supersarsfields

Quote from: bannside on November 24, 2019, 03:55:28 PM
There is more than a chance that none of the above mentioned are squeaky clean, especially with the stakes so high. But there is a big difference in being part of a plan to make it difficult for outside investors to come in, and the kind of treatment metered out to Kevin Lunney. Someone was paying someone to carry out highly illegal acts of destruction and thuggery. Someone with both means and motive. Time will tell just who was the instigator behind this long reign of terror.....because someone was!

The attacks that prevented outside investors like Lagan were disgusting as well. There's nothing to show McCartin was directly involved but the emails would make you wonder what he did know.
I'll agree it's only a matter of time before they get the people involved. And that should be welcomed. I doubt this is the last article regarding this.

Itchy

Quote from: bannside on November 24, 2019, 03:55:28 PM

Theres a difference but not a big difference. Bullets were sent in the post, people received death thrests. There was a truck rammed into reception and attempts to set it alight. Another difference was the media or politicians weren't too interested and outside the local papers very little was said. Grant no one was attack physically as far as I recall but probably because those attacked departed quickly enough.