A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: BennyCake on December 09, 2017, 05:01:38 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 09, 2017, 03:57:53 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 07, 2017, 04:55:18 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 07, 2017, 04:02:10 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 07, 2017, 03:58:18 PM
Branching off a bit here, but with Fair Employment introduced which enabled more Catholics to get certain jobs. Now that's in place, has even those Catholics been forced down the list and LBGT's taken priority for jobs? Just a thought.

A terrible, regressive thought that ignores the very basic laws of recruitment. Do you think a gay person has their sexuality tattooed on their forehead or something?

If you're going to try to vaguely target a minority group at least spell it right.

It's an acronym. You cant "spell" an acronym.

Well, if a gay thought by declaring they were gay on a form (which I presume is an option these days), they might declare it if they thought it would increase their chances.
You are an offensive moron.

What's offensive about that?
Seriously?

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Franko on December 11, 2017, 10:31:57 AM

And what I said was that it's totally irrelevant what laws were written in the early 70's.  Discrimination was still rife.  End of story.

Have you any stats to back up your big assertion about the 90's?

What stats do you have to say that discrimination was rife until the late 90s?

What brought this sudden end to discrimination from the late 90s?

Check out the results of the tribunals that are now on line to see the level and type of discrimination:

https://employmenttribunalsni.co.uk/OITFET_IWS/DecisionSearchResults.aspx

With laws in place from early 70s anyone who believed they were discriminated against was able to take their case to a Tribunal at no cost to themselves and with the support of a solicitor or union.

Franko

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on December 11, 2017, 01:24:49 PM

And what I said was that it's totally irrelevant what laws were written in the early 70's.  Discrimination was still rife.  End of story.

Check out the results of the tribunals that are now on line to see the level and type of discrimination:

With laws in place from early 70s anyone who believed they were discriminated against was able to take their case to a Tribunal at no cost to themselves and with the support of a solicitor or union.

Is that a serious question?

Here's a stat for you:

In 1992, the unemployment rate for Catholics was TWICE as high as that in the Protestant community.  In 1992.  This is approximately 20 YEARS after you said that discrimination had ended.  Maybe the Catholics were just lazy.

Also, was the legislation not enacted in 1976?

johnneycool

Quote from: Franko on December 11, 2017, 01:51:55 PM

Here's a stat for you:

In 1992, the unemployment rate for Catholics was TWICE as high as that in the Protestant community.  In 1992.  This is approximately 20 YEARS after you said that discrimination had ended.  Maybe the Catholics were just lazy.

The Fair Employment and Treatment (Northern Ireland) Order 1998 came into place as the name suggests in 1998.

I wasn't aware of anything prior to that or if there was why was there a need for the 1998 version?

tiempo

Here's a stat for you:

I mean obviously from 1976 the unionists were keeping detailed figures of their misrule and discrimination, all of which they have published to show them for the belligerent occupants they have been, which can be accessed at the click of a button and reproduced ad nauseam. Because they're good like that.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Franko

Quote from: johnneycool on December 11, 2017, 02:52:25 PM

Here's a stat for you:

The Fair Employment and Treatment (Northern Ireland) Order 1998 came into place as the name suggests in 1998.

I wasn't aware of anything prior to that or if there was why was there a need for the 1998 version?

Just a cut and paste from some .gov.uk site.

"The Fair Employment Acts 1976 and 1989, which outlawed discrimination in employment on grounds
of religious belief and political opinion, were repealed and their provisions re-enacted, brought
together and added to in the Fair Employment and Treatment (Northern Ireland) Order 1998, which
came into operation on 1 March 1999. The 1998 Order was subsequently amended by the Fair
Employment and Treatment Order (Amendment) Regulations (NI) 2003 to implement the EU
Framework Employment Directive.
"

seafoid

What sort of changes would nationalists want in a UI? 20 years ago the south was seen as socially conservative. Apart from abortion this seems to have been addressed .
What else needs to be done in Dublin.?

I think the state is far too centralised.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

If you believe Tony they'll want stricter limits on abortion and the abolition of same sex marriage.
The future All Ireland political entity will be a Confederation of two semi autonomous areas - present 26 and 6 Cos.
The terms of the GFA will continue to apply in the 6 Cos e.g Dual Irish and British citizenship (if "Britain"still exists then).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AQMP

Quote from: seafoid on December 12, 2017, 10:09:49 AM
What sort of changes would nationalists want in a UI? 20 years ago the south was seen as socially conservative. Apart from abortion this seems to have been addressed .

Serious reform of the Guards (and elements of the PSNI)??

Franko

Quote from: seafoid on December 12, 2017, 10:09:49 AM

The addition of an element of Belfast control should help with decentralisation.  Although I appreciate that's not doing much for the wesht.

T Fearon

Don't hold your breath lads.Fianna Fail have now postponed their plans to field candidates in the North in 2019,lest it be perceived as a (wait for it) "Nationalist takeover" amidst the uncertainty over Brexit! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂.

I have heard it all now! Surely this ends the delusion of a United Ireland?

OgraAnDun

To a certain extent, they're putting the bigger picture before the party because that is exactly how it would be seen by unionists. As you well know. I'm also doubtful as to how successful they would be up here unless they merged with the DUP.

T Fearon

We'll be that logic a referendum in the North on reunification must now be regarded as a Nationalist takeover which will never be allowed by Dublin's official Republican Party!

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on December 12, 2017, 10:58:39 AM
If you believe Tony they'll want stricter limits on abortion and the abolition of same sex marriage.
The future All Ireland political entity will be a Confederation of two semi autonomous areas - present 26 and 6 Cos.
The terms of the GFA will continue to apply in the 6 Cos e.g Dual Irish and British citizenship (if "Britain"still exists then).
What's the point then? Doesn't sound much different to current  situation.