The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapchap

Quote from: armaghniac on July 21, 2020, 11:10:01 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 21, 2020, 09:29:36 AM
Yes I know. But Im not sure the reality of that situation would be a god place to be. Anyhow Francie Molloy MP doesn't see the GFA as a good vehicle for reunification

The GFA allows a border poll and all you have to do is persuade a majority. What has Francie Molloy done to persuade anyone to vote for a United Ireland? His entire focus is in preaching to the converted.

To me it seems Francie's gripe was that, in light of recent comments by Micheal Martin, he doesn't see a scenario where the British and Irish Government will agree to a border poll, particularly in light of the recent attempts at moving the goalposts on 50%+1.

If the GFA says a simple majority is all that is required, and if successive polls consistently suggest even a narrow majority favour reunification (which any/all available indicators suggest is only a matter of time) and the British and Irish Governments refuse to allow the poll to take place, then his comments on being sold a pup would be accurate enough. Time will tell.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on July 21, 2020, 11:22:14 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 21, 2020, 10:37:27 AM
Not all unionists are in the six counties.
Really?
People who want to rejoin the "United" Kingdom?

Of the 140 something Countries and Territories who left the British Empire I'm not aware of any ONE that wanted to go back under it.

John Bruton is one example.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Correct me if I'm wrong but does the GFA state that if it appears to the British " Secretary of State for Northern Ireland" that there MAY be a majority (in the 6 Cos) in favour of a UI then the S of S MAY hold a Referendum or is it WILL hold....??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Snapchap

1. The Secretary of State may by order direct the holding of a poll for the
purposes of section 1 on a date specified in the order.

2. Subject to paragraph 3, the Secretary of State shall exercise the power
under paragraph 1 if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of
those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to
be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland.

So, paragraph one confers the power to call a border poll on the SoS, and paragraph 2 confers the requirement to use that power, but only when he himself believes it is likely to result in Irish reunification.

So he is obliged to use the power, unless he decides he doesn't haveto/want to.

RedHand88

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 21, 2020, 11:48:31 AM
Really?

Of the 140 something Countries and Territories who left the British Empire I'm not aware of any ONE that wanted to go back under it.

And Ruth Dudley Edwards.

five points

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 21, 2020, 01:07:22 PM
Really?

And Ruth Dudley Edwards.

I'd vote that way myself tomorrow if afforded the opportunity. The State my grandparents' generation worked to bring about was a failure long before I was even born. Only for the safety valve of emigration, we'd be living in a third world hellhole.  And the north. if anything, is worse.

Rossfan

Quote from: Snapchap on July 21, 2020, 12:55:31 PM
1. The Secretary of State may by order direct the holding of a poll for the
purposes of section 1 on a date specified in the order.

2. Subject to paragraph 3, the Secretary of State shall exercise the power
under paragraph 1 if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of
those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to
be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland.

So, paragraph one confers the power to call a border poll on the SoS, and paragraph 2 confers the requirement to use that power, but only when he himself believes it is likely to result in Irish reunification.

So he is obliged to use the power, unless he decides he doesn't haveto/want to.
Thanks Snap.
Depends on how the SoS decides a majority might want to change.
Will it be if Nationalist Parties get more votes than Unionist ones or
If Nationalist Parties get more votes than all the others combined.
The latter may never happen.

ardtole

Really?

And Ruth Dudley Edwards.

Neale Richmond, is the most recent to express an interest in exploring  joining the commonwealth. I'd say there is a similar sentiment throughout fg especially with the likes of Flanagan and Regina Doherty in their ranks.

Chief

Quote from: Snapchap on July 21, 2020, 11:29:36 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 21, 2020, 11:10:01 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 21, 2020, 09:29:36 AM
Yes I know. But Im not sure the reality of that situation would be a god place to be. Anyhow Francie Molloy MP doesn't see the GFA as a good vehicle for reunification

The GFA allows a border poll and all you have to do is persuade a majority. What has Francie Molloy done to persuade anyone to vote for a United Ireland? His entire focus is in preaching to the converted.

To me it seems Francie's gripe was that, in light of recent comments by Micheal Martin, he doesn't see a scenario where the British and Irish Government will agree to a border poll, particularly in light of the recent attempts at moving the goalposts on 50%+1.

If the GFA says a simple majority is all that is required, and if successive polls consistently suggest even a narrow majority favour reunification (which any/all available indicators suggest is only a matter of time) and the British and Irish Governments refuse to allow the poll to take place, then his comments on being sold a pup would be accurate enough. Time will tell.

Short version - Francis's gripe articulates a nationalist frustration that 50%+1 is enough to legitimise British rule in the north but not Irish rule seemingly - the bar for which appears to be a level of consensus not seen in centuries, if ever, and which is not documented anywhere in the GFA.

Chief

Quote from: ardtole on July 21, 2020, 01:35:54 PM
Really?

And Ruth Dudley Edwards.

Neale Richmond, is the most recent to express an interest in exploring  joining the commonwealth. I'd say there is a similar sentiment throughout fg especially with the likes of Flanagan and Regina Doherty in their ranks.

To be fair to them - If that was the price of a United Ireland I think most nationalists in the north would pay it.

ardtole

Has anyone from fg in recent times expressed any interest in a united Ireland.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: ardtole on July 21, 2020, 02:27:19 PM
Of course not, they're basically irish tories and west brits.

Baile Brigín 2

FG have done .ore gor Irish independence than FF...

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 21, 2020, 03:25:48 PM

FG have done .ore gor Irish independence than FF...

Hardly a ringing endorsement as RDE has done more for a United Ireland than both.

Rossfan

Big difference between being a sovereign state in that Commonwealth thingy and being a subject territory of the old British Empire.
Outside of the 3 Ulster Counties, Leitrim, Longford, parts of Roscommon, Sligo, Westmeath, Meath and Louth there wouldnt be too much concern about a United Ireland among the general populace.