The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Totally convinced that a UI is the way forward economically. I would vote for it.  But id fear it may only get 70% support across entire island. What would be an acceptable majority? One that would not leave us with significant problems afterwards. I don't think 50+1, which SF are in support of, is either sensible or realistic.

Rois

Snapchat, are you referring to the Think 32 forums?

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 21, 2020, 08:27:17 AM
Totally convinced that a UI is the way forward economically. I would vote for it.  But id fear it may only get 70% support across entire island. What would be an acceptable majority? One that would not leave us with significant problems afterwards. I don't think 50+1, which SF are in support of, is either sensible or realistic.

All those who voted for the GFA including Seamus Mallon ratified that so move on.

The problem that both Sinn Fein and the DUP have is that both need to win over the ever increasing middle ground, the castle catholics and economic unionists with a small u so to speak and both seem incapable of doing that as they feel the need to feed their bases with the usual old bullshit setting both causes back in the eyes of the middle ground.

Colm is almost apologetic for wanting a UI and whilst getting into bed with FF seemed like a good move towards an AI party he's been badly let down by Martin, who's as poor a leader as there has been and that takes some doing.

Snapchap

Quote from: Rois on July 21, 2020, 08:29:45 AM
Snapchat, are you referring to the Think 32 forums?
No though they were very good during the Brexit debate.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on July 21, 2020, 08:37:21 AM

All those who voted for the GFA including Seamus Mallon ratified that so move on.

The problem that both Sinn Fein and the DUP have is that both need to win over the ever increasing middle ground, the castle catholics and economic unionists with a small u so to speak and both seem incapable of doing that as they feel the need to feed their bases with the usual old bullshit setting both causes back in the eyes of the middle ground.

Colm is almost apologetic for wanting a UI and whilst getting into bed with FF seemed like a good move towards an AI party he's been badly let down by Martin, who's as poor a leader as there has been and that takes some doing.

Well 51% should be easily got, but maintaining a happy country afterwards will be the hard bit- it is just my personal opinion. It seems a low bar for such an monumental change. The castle catholics and economic unionists will eventually settle into it. But we have 1 million unionists on this island who will be a very different prospect.

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 21, 2020, 08:59:31 AM

Well 51% should be easily got, but maintaining a happy country afterwards will be the hard bit- it is just my personal opinion. It seems a low bar for such an monumental change. The castle catholics and economic unionists will eventually settle into it. But we have 1 million unionists on this island who will be a very different prospect.

And indeed a majority of them voted for it as well.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on July 21, 2020, 09:18:18 AM

Yes I know. But Im not sure the reality of that situation would be a god place to be. Anyhow Francie Molloy MP doesn't see the GFA as a good vehicle for reunification

marty34

Quote from: armaghniac on July 21, 2020, 01:33:36 AM
Quote from: marty34 on July 21, 2020, 12:23:23 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 20, 2020, 10:14:00 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 10, 2020, 12:01:13 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 10, 2020, 10:30:47 AM
Someone asked for my opinion on the FST motion. It was wrong and the SDLP councillors shouldn't have supported it. Colum Eastwood intervened and told them to reverse their position which last I checked I understand they have. Sometimes holding your hands up and admitting you got it wrong is the right thing to do. I think people will respect them for doing that.

Has he stopped Brexit yet? (sorry I had to get it in before someone else)

Moaning Mary certainly didn't stop it.

Eastwood said, if election, he'd stop Brexit.  That's the point.  Nothing to do with MLMD.

It was his kind of 'election pledge'.

And likely he would have stopped it, if he has a majority.

Lol.

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 21, 2020, 09:29:36 AM

Yes I know. But Im not sure the reality of that situation would be a god place to be. Anyhow Francie Molloy MP doesn't see the GFA as a good vehicle for reunification

Reinforcing the point I was making that the likes of Francie fail to understand that it's going to take someone or something to win over the middle third and Francie and his ilk seem incapable of understanding that.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on July 21, 2020, 09:42:24 AM

Reinforcing the point I was making that the likes of Francie fail to understand that it's going to take someone or something to win over the middle third and Francie and his ilk seem incapable of understanding that.

Agreed

Rossfan

Fear, Evil and others the " 1 million Unionists" is surely an out of date figure.
Wasn't it 48% of 1.8m in the 2011 Census.

The future all Ireland political entity will not be
An incorporation of the 6 Cos into the 26 Co State or
A type of Gröss South Armagh run by SF.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Rossfan on July 21, 2020, 10:10:17 AM
Fear, Evil and others the " 1 million Unionists" is surely an out of date figure.
Wasn't it 48% of 1.8m in the 2011 Census.

The future all Ireland political entity will not be
An incorporation of the 6 Cos into the 26 Co State or
A type of Gröss South Armagh run by SF.

Possibly

imtommygunn

Not all unionists are in the six counties.

armaghniac

The GFA allows a border poll and all you have to do is persuade a majority. What has Francie Molloy done to persuade anyone to vote for a United Ireland? His entire focus is in preaching to the converted.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 21, 2020, 10:37:27 AM
Not all unionists are in the six counties.
Really?
People who want to rejoin the "United" Kingdom?

Of the 140 something Countries and Territories who left the British Empire I'm not aware of any ONE that wanted to go back under it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM