Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Franko

Quote from: Angelo on November 18, 2020, 05:29:28 PM
Quote from: Franko on November 18, 2020, 04:52:39 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 18, 2020, 01:58:10 PM
Quote from: LCohen on November 18, 2020, 01:37:42 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 17, 2020, 02:18:05 PM

Getting a lot right doesn't mean you can't be wrong a lot or a lesser amount either.

There are genuine health concerns for people here and that's why one around 1 in 3 people who voted on this poll have said no.
So you are now speaking for others. So speaking for those others spell out the genuine health concerns?

Maybe rather than trying to dictate to people
Be specific. Who have I dictated to and what I have dictated that they should do?

This is a good start. They can and do get things right. So its its rather stupid to start from the perspective that because they are pharma that they are automatically wrong. You need to point to specifics. Something you are not yet doing.

I haven't said they can't. I have said they can and have got things wrong in the past. And for a vaccine that would has been rushed through in an unprecedented timeline then I'd be extra cautious.

So you are now speaking for others. So speaking for those others spell out the genuine health concerns?

I'm speaking for myself but there is a poll up there that says 30%+ of respondents won't get the vaccine next year if its available. You'd have to ask everyone of them why but I've outlined my reasons which are rational and valid so I don't see the need for you to try and badger me into blindly taking something I believe may well have consequences on my health. You are a very narrowminded person who can't tolerate other people and their viewpoints.

Across a number of threads you have been extremely disingenuous and misleading. You have been caught red handed already making a number of claims that you cannot validate.

All I have done is outline my concerns in this thread, they are valid and they are based on precedent and concerns with the uncertainty of the vaccine. You have merely sought to badger me into voluntarily taking something could actually turn out to be quite harmful. The question you really need to ask is why are you doing this?

Do you intend to never get this vaccination?

If not, how long would you let others get vaccinated for, before you were happy that it would be safe enough for you to get?

When I'm satisfied it is safe and works and the benefits of it outweigh potential consequnces then I would get it. But it will take years to find that out.

I've never got a flu vaccine. The majority of people I know in my demograph with no underlying health conditions don't either that I'm aware of.

Happy enough for others to get it but not me.  Figures.

As for the second part.  Good for you.  Irrelevant though.

Franko

On a side note.  I see Seaney's gone into hibernation again, after making a tit of himself for the umpteenth time.

There'll be a new username soon.

Rossfan

Do the 2 balloons hate their parents for getting them all those baby/childhood vaccinations?
Do they get upset or feel deprived  because they can't get polio, diphtheria and the rest?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: Franko on November 18, 2020, 05:38:31 PM

Getting a lot right doesn't mean you can't be wrong a lot or a lesser amount either.

There are genuine health concerns for people here and that's why one around 1 in 3 people who voted on this poll have said no.

Be specific. Who have I dictated to and what I have dictated that they should do?

This is a good start. They can and do get things right. So its its rather stupid to start from the perspective that because they are pharma that they are automatically wrong. You need to point to specifics. Something you are not yet doing.

I haven't said they can't. I have said they can and have got things wrong in the past. And for a vaccine that would has been rushed through in an unprecedented timeline then I'd be extra cautious.

I'm speaking for myself but there is a poll up there that says 30%+ of respondents won't get the vaccine next year if its available. You'd have to ask everyone of them why but I've outlined my reasons which are rational and valid so I don't see the need for you to try and badger me into blindly taking something I believe may well have consequences on my health. You are a very narrowminded person who can't tolerate other people and their viewpoints.

Across a number of threads you have been extremely disingenuous and misleading. You have been caught red handed already making a number of claims that you cannot validate.

All I have done is outline my concerns in this thread, they are valid and they are based on precedent and concerns with the uncertainty of the vaccine. You have merely sought to badger me into voluntarily taking something could actually turn out to be quite harmful. The question you really need to ask is why are you doing this?

If not, how long would you let others get vaccinated for, before you were happy that it would be safe enough for you to get?

When I'm satisfied it is safe and works and the benefits of it outweigh potential consequnces then I would get it. But it will take years to find that out.

I've never got a flu vaccine. The majority of people I know in my demograph with no underlying health conditions don't either that I'm aware of.

If people want to get it then that's not my call. You seem to be now chastising me for not trying to force my views onto others? Are you a closet Nazi or something?

If you want to get the vaccine, go ahead. If you like me you have worries, then don't.

I think that post above typifies the the nasty and intolerant undercurrent from posters like you which has been apparent all throughout this thread.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Angelo do you think that if you get Covid that you'll be fine?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2020, 06:57:19 PM

Don't intend on getting it but my demograph doesn't seem to be impact greatly by it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on November 18, 2020, 07:18:12 PM

Don't intend on getting it but my demograph doesn't seem to be impact greatly by it.

So you either a dog or under 18, I know what I edging towards
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Perhaps you have missed the research, that survivors of COVID-19 appear to be at increased risk of psychiatric sequelae, and a psychiatric diagnosis might be an independent risk factor for COVID-19

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(20)30462-4/fulltext
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Angelo

Quote from: armaghniac on November 18, 2020, 07:39:00 PM

Perhaps you have missed the research, that survivors of COVID-19 appear to be at increased risk of psychiatric sequelae, and a psychiatric diagnosis might be an independent risk factor for COVID-19

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(20)30462-4/fulltext

Appear to be, might be.

Very conclusive that. As I said, I don't intend on getting it.

tyssam5

Quote from: Seaney on November 17, 2020, 10:53:53 PM
So so pathetic, did you watch your saviour on the Andrew Marr show? All ifs and maybe and I don't knows!

Sounds like a proper scientist then.

Franko

Quote from: Angelo on November 18, 2020, 05:59:12 PM
Quote from: Franko on November 18, 2020, 05:38:31 PM

If people want to get it then that's not my call. You seem to be now chastising me for not trying to force my views onto others? Are you a closet Nazi or something?

If you want to get the vaccine, go ahead. If you like me you have worries, then don't.

I think that post above typifies the the nasty and intolerant undercurrent from posters like you which has been apparent all throughout this thread.

Lol, some faux victimhood, a poor me routine, AND a token Nazi reference.  Lot of boxes ticked there.

I could post a list of insults you have thrown at other posters here over the past few weeks if you'd like?

Look the way I see it, the world is pretty much in crisis.  This is the biggest single event of any of our lifetimes in terms of negative worldwide impact.

These vaccines seem like the best way out of it, so all those people you cared so deeply about when railing against the lockdown measures can regain normality, without having to accept the premature deaths of thousands of people who may harbour a slight vulnerability to the disease.

It is a fact that these vaccines have been developed quickly and we don't know the long term consequences of taking them.  But we don't know the long term consequences of getting the disease yet either (indeed, there is some evidence that it is not good in a few cases) and there is no regulator which will stop you from getting the disease if it turns out it's pretty bad.  There is a CHANCE that this vaccine could cause problems in later life.  That cannot be denied.  However, unlimited cash and the focus of the entire world have surely reduced this chance to a tiny one.

So with that said, given that 7/10 of us will either have to get the disease or a vaccine to end this nonsense, I think it places a moral responsibility on those of us who are relatively healthy to step up, so-to-speak.  Take that tiny chance, so that more vulnerable folks don't have to take a much bigger one.

You have freely admitted that you are fit and healthy.  Yet you will refuse to take the chance.  So you're happy to place that responsibility onto someone else.
That could hardly be described as a morally responsible or courageous position to take?

The ironic thing with you (given your other posts on this board) is that you'll no doubt admire and wax lyrical in company about plenty of genuinely brave Irish men.  Men (and women) who took much bigger risks than this for the good of their fellow man in this country.

It can't be much comfort for you to know that, transported back to that time, you would not have been one of them.

PS.
I don't for a second think you should be forced to take it, so don't let notions of that feed your desire to feel oppressed by the 'nasty' people

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2020, 05:36:05 PM
When will you know? Do you know any chemical engineers?

I have a degree in Chemical Engineering and a postgrad in Polymer Science and Engineering. Unfortunately I never used them and retrained as a social researcher/statistician!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 19, 2020, 09:36:49 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2020, 05:36:05 PM
When will you know? Do you know any chemical engineers?

I have a degree in Chemical Engineering and a postgrad in Polymer Science and Engineering. Unfortunately I never used them and retrained as a social researcher/statistician!

Are you Seaney's mate?

Harold Disgracey

I think not, I have an understanding of science, statistics and clinical trials. As an aside, I was working for Pfizer in Sandwich in Kent in the summer of 1993 when they were getting some strange side effects  reported for a new drug they were trialling!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 19, 2020, 09:49:52 AM
I think not, I have an understanding of science, statistics and clinical trials. As an aside, I was working for Pfizer in Sandwich in Kent in the summer of 1993 when they were getting some strange side effects  reported for a new drug they were trialling!

And is that new drug being used by the general public?