Ross Carrs Comments On Armagh...

Started by Bainisteoir, May 07, 2007, 02:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bainisteoir

fair enough point about kerry didnt consider that....... narrow it done to Armagh and Tyrone... i wanted to avoid the same old shit being said about armagh and tyrone but statistics are better than opinions...

stew

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 07, 2007, 09:27:51 PM
I'll remember Armagh as the team we beat to win our first All-Ireland Final

And I remember Tyrone as the team we had to show how to win an AI. ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Gabriel_Hurl

But stew - nothing will be as sweet as that day in September 2003

Donagh

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 07, 2007, 11:23:14 PM
But stew - nothing will be as sweet as that day in September 2003

Considering ye only beat one team from outside Ulster that year, I suppose it could be looked upon as the equivalent of two Anglo-Celts.

realredhandfan

last years provincial winners in Munster Cork - yes it was Cork havent even been mentioned since Kerry won the ai.  Neither does it be mentioned that Mayo won connaught - In general people refer to the Kerry / Down / Galway teams as being great.  Galway won their 2nd through the back door and Kerry have done the same. Nobody once tainted Kerrys ai win last year as being substandard, I dont think. 

CiarraiAbu

Most consistant team in the last 30 years (1976 - 2006)

11 All Ireland titles in 30 years

3 finals lost in the same period

Kerry played in 14 All Ireland Finals in 30 years. The facts speak for themselves KERRY are the most consistant 
"Its the way Kerry people answer back" - Captain Declan O' Sullivan 2007

Fuzzman

Pack of F**king kids the lot of ye back at this cr@p again.

And then ye wonder why other members of the board cant stand Tyrone and Armagh posters.

Who gives a **** which is better?

Real Mathematics
2 AI=6 USFC? Prove?
Catch a grip lads and think when ye open yer mouth (fingers) that ye respresent yer county in here and will be judged accordingly.

Donagh

Ah wind yer neck in, it's only a bit of craic ffs...

SuperDooperCooper

Armagh's record in Ulster is definitely impressive. But the Ulster championship is not what it once was either.
Since 99 only 2 counties have won it Armagh (99,00,02,04,05,06) Tyrone (01,03).
Teams now not risking players in the provincial championship in case it would knock them out later on. (Caravan warmed up in '02 before sitting down when Armagh goaled).
Personally I would rather have the All-Irelands than the provincial titles, I certainly didn't care that we lost Munster went we won Sam last September.
Think Armagh have been consistent but definitely not the most consistent team in Ireland over the last 30 years.

IMO the provincial championships will continue to reduce in importance until something is done to really incentive winning the title.
When the back door was first introduced in 2001 provincial winners were guaranteed a home venue in the All-Ireland quarter finals.
This was changed to neutral venues in the province later on but I feel it should revert back to the original idea.
The proposal may reduce the games in Croke park but provincial venues would be rocking with such games.
If a county doesn't have a ground big enough to hold such a game then the can move it to a neighbouring county which has. 

Last years All-Ireland QF line up might have had different outcomes:
Crossmaglen/Clones Armagh v Kerry
Cork: Cork v Donegal
Castlebar: Mayo v Laois
Croke Park: Dublin v Westmeath

Killarney: Kerry v Mayo
Crossmaglen/Clones Armagh v Laois
Croke Park: Dublin v Tyrone
Galway: Galway v Cork.

full back

What is the view like up there Fizzman
Bad weekend, had you
Chill out & relax man 8)

Tyrone Dreamer

Think we can now draw a conclusion on the arguement. Armagh have been a more consistent team than Tyrone over the last decade. However Tyrone can play to a higher level and on their day are a better team. Ill settle for that.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteI don't think you need to go through results to find who was most consistent between armagh and tryone.  
You can't compare a munster team to an ulster team on those terms either.

Quotefair enough point about kerry didnt consider that....... narrow it done to Armagh and Tyrone... i wanted to avoid the same old shit being said about armagh and tyrone but statistics are better than opinions...

What are we debating here ..most consistent within your province or most consistent overall ? Since we dont compete in Ulster dont you think its a tad self-serving to exclude Kerry on the basis of Ulster being a "harder" province.

Since the back door Kerry have appeared in every semi-final (6) , 4 finals and won 2. As for what happens before the quarters..who cares ? if you cant get to the quarters with 2 cracks at the whip then you are probably not AI winning material anyway.

Then if you go back to before  the qualifiers and still in the last 15 years Kerry have 2 further AI compared to zero (between them !) for Tyrone and Armagh...and thats during Ulsters "golden years"

If you go back the 30 years the original post referred to then its even more of a non contest.

ziggysego

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 08, 2007, 09:37:06 PM
If you go back the 30 years the original post referred to then its even more of a non contest.

Er.... yeah, Kerry.
Testing Accessibility