Under 21 Final in doubt??

Started by AZOffaly, September 07, 2010, 02:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I got this from GAA Punters website, but I don't work for them :D I was wondering how come Galway were so quiet on this one, it seems incredible that an All Ireland Final could be fixed as a home venue for one team. Even Croke Park is technically neutral for the Dubs.

Any views from Galway? Nice wiggle again by Cooney by the way. Is this lad one of the slimiest GAA Presidents ever?

Galway may boycott U-21 final over venue
Written by: Oisin Kearns on 7th September 2010

Galway may boycott U-21 final over venue  | read this item
Related News
No Related Post
Galway clubs delegates will meet tonight to consider the option of boycotting next weekends All-Ireland U-21 Hurling final against Tipperary over the choice of Thurles as the venue.

It felt that asking Galway to play in Thurles the home venue of their opponents is a huge disadvantage
"To say that we were very disturbed and disappointed by it would be the understatement of the year," hurling board chairman Joe Byrne said last night.

It was thought by Byrne that GAA director Pariac Duffy & Christy Cooney made the decesion of the venue but GAA president Christy Cooney refuted suggestions.

"I don't know where he got that from. Paraic Duffy and I don't make the decision. The CCCC make the decision and we fully support the decision that they make," he said.

"If we're asked for an opinion, we give an opinion. But we don't dictate to CCCC in any circumstances where games should be played. That's their job. I'm very happy with Thurles as a venue."

"We've put a massive amount of money into Thurles, it's recognised as our second stadium and as a hurling stadium. We're likely to play our U-21 hurling finals in Thurles for the foreseeable future. Counties have to recognise that."

We will have more on this story this tonight.

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 07, 2010, 02:48:59 PMNice wiggle again by Cooney by the way. Is this lad one of the slimiest GAA Presidents ever?

He's a senior executive of FÁS, AZ - a bastion of rectitude, openness and straight talking. So you're way off the mark there.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 07, 2010, 02:48:59 PM
I got this from GAA Punters website, but I don't work for them :D I was wondering how come Galway were so quiet on this one, it seems incredible that an All Ireland Final could be fixed as a home venue for one team. Even Croke Park is technically neutral for the Dubs.

Any views from Galway? Nice wiggle again by Cooney by the way. Is this lad one of the slimiest GAA Presidents ever?

Galway may boycott U-21 final over venue
Written by: Oisin Kearns on 7th September 2010

Galway may boycott U-21 final over venue  | read this item
Related News
No Related Post
Galway clubs delegates will meet tonight to consider the option of boycotting next weekends All-Ireland U-21 Hurling final against Tipperary over the choice of Thurles as the venue.

It felt that asking Galway to play in Thurles the home venue of their opponents is a huge disadvantage
"To say that we were very disturbed and disappointed by it would be the understatement of the year," hurling board chairman Joe Byrne said last night.

It was thought by Byrne that GAA director Pariac Duffy & Christy Cooney made the decesion of the venue but GAA president Christy Cooney refuted suggestions.

"I don't know where he got that from. Paraic Duffy and I don't make the decision. The CCCC make the decision and we fully support the decision that they make," he said.

"If we're asked for an opinion, we give an opinion. But we don't dictate to CCCC in any circumstances where games should be played. That's their job. I'm very happy with Thurles as a venue."

"We've put a massive amount of money into Thurles, it's recognised as our second stadium and as a hurling stadium. We're likely to play our U-21 hurling finals in Thurles for the foreseeable future. Counties have to recognise that."

We will have more on this story this tonight.

He says he's nothing to do with the decision yet comes out with a leading statement like that above.

The sooner that hoor crawls back below whatever stone he came from the better for the GAA, financially and otherwise.

Who's on this CCCCC then?

What's wrong with Nowlan Park?

AZOffaly

What's wrong with Pairc na nGaeil in Limerick? It's Galway v Tipperary. Limerick is an obvious spot. Jaysus they played the League Final there a couple of years ago when it was the same counties.

GalwayBayBoy

GAA seem to be saying that they fixed the U-21 hurling final for the next 3 years for Thurles and are adamant that they are not budging. Seems completely daft to me. Nothing against Semple which is a great venue but national finals should not be held on the training ground of one of the finalists. Especially when there are a number of perfectly suitable venues nearby, Limerick, Tullamore, etc. The CCCC actually said that Thurles was the "fairest" venue for the final which is just mad stuff altogether. Ridiculous argument from Cooney to say that all finals will be played in Thurles just because they spent money on it. Big money has been spent on lots of grounds in recent years and some are completely under-utilised. At least Semple already gets more than it's fair share of games.

I hope there's no boycott though as the young lads deserve to play in a national final even if they will be huge underdogs playing in front of a massive home crowd in party mood.

seafoid

it would be some win if they pulled it off. Remember Galway -Wexford in 1996 ? Super win for the men in maroon.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

SLIGONIAN

Pissed off with the venue choice, cant believe the cheeky fckers are saying its the same for Dublin, Dublin dont train all yr round in Croke park so its a non argument.

How much money was spent on Gaelic Grounds in Limerick ffs so to use that as an argument is a total farce.

The fairest grd argument is an insult. How do these people get away with such comments? If i was the journo i comeback with all of the above to cooney and see what he has to say. Why let him off the hook with his lies..

Personnally i wouldnt turn up. c***ts. Best of Luck Galway if they do.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Donnellys Hollow

The quantity of spin and bullsh1t that Cooney comes out with would put Alastair Campbell to shame.

He's more concerned about pandering to sponsors than he is promoting and improving our games. He's all over every media outlet when his silly fence and army of goons keep the pitch in perfect nick after the hurling on Sunday yet he buries his head in the sand when matches are ruined by scandalous officiating and county teams are denied fair play.

- We tear up the Croke Park pitch at the peak of the football and hurling season because Bono and the boys want to park their spaceship in Drumcondra.
- A few harmless bucks from Allenwood have a totally innocuous banner taken off them on Hill 16 because it contains a reference to his fence.
- Now we're told that a match being held in Thurles is of no advantage to Tipperary!

The idiots have taken over the asylum and he who pays the piper calls the shots. The sooner Cooney fecks off back to FÁS, the better.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

johnneycool

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 07, 2010, 04:48:32 PM
The quantity of spin and bullsh1t that Cooney comes out with would put Alastair Campbell to shame.

He's more concerned about pandering to sponsors than he is promoting and improving our games. He's all over every media outlet when his silly fence and army of goons keep the pitch in perfect nick after the hurling on Sunday yet he buries his head in the sand when matches are ruined by scandalous officiating and county teams are denied fair play.

- We tear up the Croke Park pitch at the peak of the football and hurling season because Bono and the boys want to park their spaceship in Drumcondra.
- A few harmless bucks from Allenwood have a totally innocuous banner taken off them on Hill 16 because it contains a reference to his fence.
- Now we're told that a match being held in Thurles is of no advantage to Tipperary!

The idiots have taken over the asylum and he who pays the piper calls the shots. The sooner Cooney fecks off back to FÁS, the better.

f**k, Mordock and his right wing spin has nothing on the corridors of Croke park this weather. Question any of their decision making and you're anti-GAA. Cooney, Duffy and McKenna need taken out and beaten by a length of wavin piping.
I can't remember Liam Mulvihill being this bad, maybe he was better at disguising it.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: johnneycool on September 07, 2010, 04:53:07 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 07, 2010, 04:48:32 PM

f**k, Mordock and his right wing spin has nothing on the corridors of Croke park this weather. Question any of their decision making and you're anti-GAA. Cooney, Duffy and McKenna need taken out and beaten by a length of wavin piping.
I can't remember Liam Mulvihill being this bad, maybe he was better at disguising it.

I don't think Liam Mulvihill was in he papers as much during the whole duration of his reign than Duffy has been since 2008. Mulvihill went about his job diligently and seemed to be universally liked by all GAA folk. Duffy strikes me as the type of person that would turn up to the opening of an envelope.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Roashter

Have to agree with most people here. Completely unfair on Galway, and the GAA top brass coming out very badly on this.

GaillimhIarthair

I hope there is no boycott for the teams sake; let them have a cut off Tipp on their own patch and if their good enough the result will look after itself.  Big big ask though and will probably be beyond them but sure sport can throw up the odd surprise from time to time.

Its quite an unbelieveable decision by the CCCC.  I mean, how in the lord name of jaysus do they think this is a correct decision for a national final?  Who are the decision makers on the CCCC?  I bet if it was Kilkenny providing the opposition the feckin thing wouldnt be in Thurles! As for Cooney, well he just continues to cover himself in glory and has brough absolutely nothing to the office of President, in fact, he is a thundering disgrace.  >:(   

Bacon

Absolutely disgraceful decision. When I heard this last week I thought it was joke. Unbelievable!

Image them fixing the football final for Newry? Do you think Frank would let Cork travell?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Rossfan

The GAA has been ran by a fcukin Munster mafia since time immemorial.
Most GAA politicians need Tipp/Cork and Limerick to back them so they pander to everything or anything that would make them happy.
Absolutely disgraceful decision as so regularly happens when it comes to making fixtures and no thought whatsoever for Galway hurling supporters once again.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GaillimhIarthair

Galway Agree To Play In Thurles

Galway will not consider a boycott of Saturday's All-Ireland U-21 hurling final in Thurles and have agreed to play the game against Tipperary on their home turf.

A planned meeting of clubs in Galway to discuss options did not go ahead last night after the six- man hurling board executive took the decision to play the game.

The final was scheduled for Thurles some months ago, but the fact that Tipperary reached the decider muddied the situation somewhat.

Chairman Joe Byrne claimed the hurling board were being hounded by clubs and supporters not to go to Semple Stadium -- where the Tipperary homecoming was held on Monday night -- for the U-21 decider.

Galway had sought a neutral venue and even met GAA director general Paraic Duffy on Friday. They came away from this meeting confident that a change would be agreed.

But the CCCC stuck by the decision to play the game in Thurles and, according to Byrne, the Galway Hurling Board received a letter from the fixtures body stating that Thurles was chosen because it was deemed the "fairest" venue.

GAA president Christy Cooney said he had no influence over the decision, but pointed out that substantial money had been spent on upgrading Thurles as the country's second venue and that U-21 finals would be played there in the future.

But Byrne said: "We are very unhappy with the way all this has been handled and we want all of that examined, but, for now, it is a matter of concentrating on the game on Saturday. We are very angry about the whole matter."