Mayo v Fermanagh, Saturday July 09, 2016 McHale Park

Started by From the Bunker, June 19, 2016, 09:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFun

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 10, 2016, 01:22:03 AM
Mayo's forward play today was unbelievably poor, every time one of the forwards got the ball he was isolated, nobody playing off him whatsoever and it was easy for the backs to gobble it up.

Also, we seem to have no idea of how a sweeper is supposed to work either, McLoughlin was too far from the fb line most of the time. Ffs, when we were 4 up, Harrison was left one on one with Quigley I think and was lucky not to be exposed.

Huge amount to work on for Rochford et al

From the Bunker

Quote from: TomFun on July 10, 2016, 02:07:14 AM
Still a dive . Are ye proud ?

No! Listen we are only delaying the inevitable. Our ass is grass in a few weeks! If not next week!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: wanderer on July 09, 2016, 11:24:32 PM
I would just like to have a say on a few points up as a Fermanagh fan

The penalty didn't matter, Mayo were on top and would have won the game

I never really understand this line of thinking in close matches. Goals change games. More than anything else. Even though Mayo were on top at that stage there is no guarantee they would have won from that position. They may have but it could easily have been a draw or Fermanagh could have grimly hung on.

maigheo

Quote from: ONeill on July 10, 2016, 01:46:34 AM
Quote from: maigheo on July 10, 2016, 12:57:28 AM
I think everyone is forgetting about McQuillan going into consult with the umpire and maybe the penalty was for a pull on the jersey before the ball came in and that is where the signal of Mcquillan indicating it was a jersey pull came from.

Still a buckin dive.
Not disagreeing with you that it was a dive but the foul could have occurred well  before the dive

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mac2 on July 10, 2016, 01:17:50 AM
No point trying to defend the indefensible just cos your own team is involved, it was no peno end of, and frees not won or prior decisions don't justify it. O'Se gives everything for the cause but he doesn't have to resort to this. Still think Mayo would have drawn at worst as they completely dominated the 2nd half and created most of the chances.

Well said. People need to cop the hell on. I also think Mayo would have won regardless as Barry Moran changed the game imo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 10, 2016, 02:19:17 AM
Quote from: wanderer on July 09, 2016, 11:24:32 PM
I would just like to have a say on a few points up as a Fermanagh fan

The penalty didn't matter, Mayo were on top and would have won the game

I never really understand this line of thinking in close matches. Goals change games. More than anything else. Even though Mayo were on top at that stage there is no guarantee they would have won from that position. They may have but it could easily have been a draw or Fermanagh could have grimly hung on.

In the 2nd half Fermanagh scored two points (at least from a very soft free) and lost almost all of their own kickouts. Even when we kicked it wide, they kicked it straight back to us. There was only one winner today from a long way out.

That doesn't mean we were good, just that Fermanagh couldn't get going after halftime.
MWWSI 2017

FermGael

As others have said on here I am gutted by that defeat.
Having watched the game back it was very clear that we gave Mayo the fright of their life.
We showed serious fight yesterday.
We lost the toss and played with the wind.
Conceded a terrible goal to Mayo inside 15 minutes after being 3 clear.  We then scored I think it was 1-4 without reply. We went at Mayo and showed some wonderful attacking intent. Going in 6 up was the least we deserved.
Mayo came out in the second half all guns blazing but we managed to repel them. After 10 minutes we were still 5 up.
Then came the turning point. McQuillans failure to give O Shea a black card for a blatant pull down on Eoin Donnelly.  It was a classic pull down with both arms wrapped around the waist. Honestly it's worse when you see it back
Mayo then score the next 5 but are still hitting wides a plenty. We get a good score to go 1 up after 30 minutes.  Then Swan Lake happens. Game over. If Sean Cavanagh or any Tyrone player had dived like Aidan then the rte lads would have went to town. What Aidan did is much worse than what Tiernan McCann did last year and the CCC wanted to give him a one match ban. I was directly dehind the Mayo subs and at the full time whistle Aidan was the only Mayo player who went straight down the tunnel. Said it all for me. Its easy to say Mayo would have won anyway. I don't buy it. We had ridden the storm and we had just went 1 up.  The Mayo players looked out of ideas up front and the crowd was nervous and anxious which was transmitting through to the players. I really think we would have sneaked it.

Dessie Dolan has to be one of the worse pundits ever seen.
Sick to the back teeth of listening to patronising rte commentators going out about plucky Fermanagh and moral victories. The Fermanagh lads have trained hard hard all year and to be denied by an inept referee is hard to take.    McGrath has brought us on leaps and bounds in the last 2 years. Says a lot that I am gutted by getting beat by Mayo in Castlebar. We are now a match for most teams in the country and have a good panel. As others have said we aren't punching above our weight. We are at our weight and are progressing nicely. There's an ulster title in that group. 

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

ardtole

I have to agree with the rte analysis, it was dreadful particulary Dessie Dolan. He actually justified OSheas dive and was extremely patronising towards fermanagh. Ten minutes later when it was obvious that Dessie and Jarlath had been tipped off about the online reaction they changed their tune but the damage was done and their credibility severely damaged.

seafoid

Quote from: FermGael on July 10, 2016, 07:39:37 AM
As others have said on here I am gutted by that defeat.
Having watched the game back it was very clear that we gave Mayo the fright of their life.
We showed serious fight yesterday.
We lost the toss and played with the wind.
Conceded a terrible goal to Mayo inside 15 minutes after being 3 clear.  We then scored I think it was 1-4 without reply. We went at Mayo and showed some wonderful attacking intent. Going in 6 up was the least we deserved.
Mayo came out in the second half all guns blazing but we managed to repel them. After 10 minutes we were still 5 up.
Then came the turning point. McQuillans failure to give O Shea a black card for a blatant pull down on Eoin Donnelly.  It was a classic pull down with both arms wrapped around the waist. Honestly it's worse when you see it back
Mayo then score the next 5 but are still hitting wides a plenty. We get a good score to go 1 up after 30 minutes.  Then Swan Lake happens. Game over. If Sean Cavanagh or any Tyrone player had dived like Aidan then the rte lads would have went to town. What Aidan did is much worse than what Tiernan McCann did last year and the CCC wanted to give him a one match ban. I was directly dehind the Mayo subs and at the full time whistle Aidan was the only Mayo player who went straight down the tunnel. Said it all for me. Its easy to say Mayo would have won anyway. I don't buy it. We had ridden the storm and we had just went 1 up.  The Mayo players looked out of ideas up front and the crowd was nervous and anxious which was transmitting through to the players. I really think we would have sneaked it.

Dessie Dolan has to be one of the worse pundits ever seen.
Sick to the back teeth of listening to patronising rte commentators going out about plucky Fermanagh and moral victories. The Fermanagh lads have trained hard hard all year and to be denied by an inept referee is hard to take.    McGrath has brought us on leaps and bounds in the last 2 years. Says a lot that I am gutted by getting beat by Mayo in Castlebar. We are now a match for most teams in the country and have a good panel. As others have said we aren't punching above our weight. We are at our weight and are progressing nicely. There's an ulster title in that group.
there is if you hang onto McGrath and learn from this
quite a good year for Fermanagh as long as you build on it.
An Ulster title would be fantastic

timmyot501

Is the lack of black card followed by red the bigger issue here. Fermanagh would of had the spare man which might have solved their biggest problem,  their own kick outs. It also means he is not there ta dive.

I thought o se was more to blame than joe but an earlier poster is right. Joe signalled a jersey pull. Were was that Tho. 2 wrongs made a huge wrong

FermGael

McGrath will be there next year and will have the job as long as he wants it I would think.
After the way he was treated by Down he won't be back.

The lack of black card was the major referring error. It happened less than 10 yards from McQuillan.  He had no excuse
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

larryin89

So the verdict is despite our dominant second half spell where both regan and andy had goal chances they blew, we got the rub of the green with some vital decisions that won the game for us.

Look ye can keep telling yourselves that but im telling ya we were not going to lose that game yesterday no matter what happened. We killed ye in midfield and when BM came on it got even worse for ye. Whos the best midfielder in ireland ye were telling us about.

If mayo improve our forward play we will make croker. And i think we will. Its all about getting things to improve game by game now.

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

skeog

Joe mc Quillan has had major influence on a few games recently he never seems to be dropped unlike other people in the past.