Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaisyCutter

Any readers get to the cross and Burren final today? Were cross just to strong for Burren or did Burren not play to their full potential? Result from Ulster club minor championship: Armagh Harps 3-9 Kilcoo 2-6 where the magpies did not play to their usual selves against a fast, strong harps team.

banker

Quote from: Mourne man on November 27, 2011, 04:35:03 PM
Carryduff beat tullylish today by 3 they where by far the hungrier team these play off are a joke! now they have the chance of playing kilcief for the division 3 crown  a joke
wouldn't say they were the hungrier team. It was their ability to convert their chances. Tullylish must have hit 10-15 wides today. Fair play to Carryduff. Although I can't see them remaining In division 2 next season!

13aside

The sending off of Anton McArdle did not help the Burren cause(spotted by a linesman on the opposite side of the field),Cross got off to a great start with 4 points and every ball played to the Burren frontline was intercepeted or broken away by a very alert defence inthe early stages.Burren lived on frees mostly with a couple of forwards posted missing.The cross keeper hardly got his hands on the ball all day whereas the Burren keeper made a couple of good saves.,

Minus15

Congratulations to Carryduff on getting promoted today. Where was this game played?

passedit

Quote from: Minus15 on November 27, 2011, 08:33:10 PM
Congratulations to Carryduff on getting promoted today. Where was this game played?

Played at Bright's new pitch, good set up but could do with a bit better signposting. Few boys ended up in the housing estate!
Don't Panic

alba2

What did McArdle do?? thats 4 men Burren had sent off in 3 games in Ulster... Bit of a discipline issue in that club i feel... Who got player of the match?

supersub

alba2

Quote from: supersub on November 27, 2011, 10:38:59 PM
Elbow on Kernan after 15 mins.
He has talent that mc ardle lad - pity he hasnt got the discipline..

Leo

Quote from: alba2 on November 27, 2011, 10:37:39 PM
What did McArdle do?? thats 4 men Burren had sent off in 3 games in Ulster... Bit of a discipline issue in that club i feel... Who got player of the match?

Am not from Burren but I think they have a very good football team. Having seen them quite a bit this year I have to say they seem to adopt an over aggressive approach to their game and maybe this is not serving them well.
Fierce tame altogether

whitegoodman

Quote from: Leo on November 28, 2011, 07:52:25 AM

Am not from Burren but I think they have a very good football team. Having seen them quite a bit this year I have to say they seem to adopt an over aggressive approach to their game and maybe this is not serving them well.

+1

McArdle typifies the current Burren team, strong, dynamic, talented, raw and aggresive which at times goes over the line.  It is a young team that will hopefully learn where that line is but u have to say that giving there was 4 sending offs in 3 ulster matches it shows that they havnt learnt it yet.

On the game yesterday the sending off made an already difficult task just about impossible.  The game would have really suited McArdle yesterday too but if u raise ur hands u can have no complaints.

Would have liked to have seen Burren with a full deck giving cross a rattle but it not to be and there no guarantee they will be back to give it a go next year given the competitive nature of the Down championship.  I do however see a few more Down titles in the current team and possibly an ulster title.

The best thing the management could do now is to give the younger lads a break for a few months when the league is out of the road ( likely to be friday night ) and let them come back refresed in Feb/Mar.  Alot of them would be eligible for the under 21s currently going on but a break would be more beneficial than attempting to win another one of these titles imo.

supersub

Quote from: whitegoodman on November 28, 2011, 01:10:59 PM

+1

McArdle typifies the current Burren team, strong, dynamic, talented, raw and aggresive which at times goes over the line.  It is a young team that will hopefully learn where that line is but u have to say that giving there was 4 sending offs in 3 ulster matches it shows that they havnt learnt it yet.

On the game yesterday the sending off made an already difficult task just about impossible.  The game would have really suited McArdle yesterday too but if u raise ur hands u can have no complaints.

Would have liked to have seen Burren with a full deck giving cross a rattle but it not to be and there no guarantee they will be back to give it a go next year given the competitive nature of the Down championship.  I do however see a few more Down titles in the current team and possibly an ulster title.

The best thing the management could do now is to give the younger lads a break for a few months when the league is out of the road ( likely to be friday night ) and let them come back refresed in Feb/Mar.  Alot of them would be eligible for the under 21s currently going on but a break would be more beneficial than attempting to win another one of these titles imo.

Fair enough strong and dynamic but no need for cynical strikes such as the ones that have been seen of late. It's not the first time the same fella has been involved in incidents like this, just glad he got caught this time.

EagleLord

Quote from: wehatepauly2 on November 25, 2011, 06:27:46 PM
I hear that the county board are giving each club 20 tickets to sell for a big draw they are organising,price of tickets are 125quid each,apparently any club who fails tho sell 20 will not be given any home fixtures for 2012.I think that is a total disgrace,sounds like the county board are blackmailing the clubs to make them some money.it's hard enough selling tickets at a fiver or teenier for our own clubs for Christmas draws never mind them coming in demanding we sell those tickets,especially at this time of year an the way things are.could anyone let me know if this is correct in what I heard

That is an abolsute disgrace!!! >:(

passedit

Quote from: EagleLord on November 28, 2011, 03:54:30 PM
Quote from: wehatepauly2 on November 25, 2011, 06:27:46 PM
I hear that the county board are giving each club 20 tickets to sell for a big draw they are organising,price of tickets are 125quid each,apparently any club who fails tho sell 20 will not be given any home fixtures for 2012.I think that is a total disgrace,sounds like the county board are blackmailing the clubs to make them some money.it's hard enough selling tickets at a fiver or teenier for our own clubs for Christmas draws never mind them coming in demanding we sell those tickets,especially at this time of year an the way things are.could anyone let me know if this is correct in what I heard

That is an abolsute disgrace!!! >:(

For a less negative spin see St Pauls site here.

http://www.gaelsport.com/html/club/newfullstory.jsp?c=218&newsID=33088&p=n

QuoteDown GAA Clubs Draw
29 November 2011

Down GAA are running a Clubs Draw during 2012. The total prizefund is £110,000 and each month there will be a first prize of £2000 and three prizes of £1000. In June there will be two additional prizes of £10,000 and £5000 and in December there will be a Superprize of £25,000.
There will also be a special club draw each month for £200 with every club guaranteed a winner over the year.
Tickets are priced at £10 per month for 12 months paid by Standing Order or £120 by cash or cheque.
Each club is required to sell 20 tickets to cover the prize fund and for each ticket sold above the initial 20 the Club receives £96.NB 20 TICKETS HAVE NOW BEEN SOLD!!

I'd have thought it wouldn't be too hard a sell with the clubs obviously benefitting too. Talking to Tullylish lads yesterday, they also have sold their quota already and looking at a valuable fundraiser for their club as well as their county!
Don't Panic

whitegoodman

I would have to agree with Eaglelord on this, put any spin on it all u like but to be forced to sell these tickets is a disgrace.

I dont no whats going on in Tullylish but it is not easy to sell £120 tickets to the local community in the current climate just before or after christmas especially.  This is on top of annual membership, insurance, club down or whatever else people contribute financially to the GAA.

whitegoodman

Quote from: supersub on November 28, 2011, 03:38:01 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on November 28, 2011, 01:10:59 PM

+1

Fair enough strong and dynamic but no need for cynical strikes such as the ones that have been seen of late. It's not the first time the same fella has been involved in incidents like this, just glad he got caught this time.

Wouldnt have said yesterday was cynical, more stupid and naive.  It was the oppenent that was cyncial by blocking off his run but this is no excuse for his reaction.  It was petulance more than anything.

Think u may also be referring to the incident invloving a rostrevor player in the championship.  Anton has maintained this was accidental and only the lad himself knows if it was or not.  If it was intentional then i completely agree that it is something he needs to remove from his game immediatly.  I didnt see the incident in question so wont comment on it any further.