The Official THFC thread

Started by Owenmoresider, October 25, 2007, 08:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new devil

Quote from: Main Street on February 24, 2008, 05:48:10 PM
There's a lot of razzamataz about winning soccer's equivalent of the Tommy Murphy Cup.
"A dream come through, ever since I was a little boy" says Robbie Keane.

Had to laugh when i heard that....he really is a k**b

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: new devil on February 24, 2008, 06:06:41 PM
There's a lot of razzamataz about winning soccer's equivalent of the Tommy Murphy Cup.

So he is a knob because since he was a young boy he has dreamed of winning a trophy at Wembley and finally achieved that today 
I struggle to understand how this makes him a knob   ???
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Owenmoresider

COYS ;D ;D ;D

Hopefully it's only the beginnng. UEFA Cup spot secured for 2008/09 now, here's hoping it will be as holders, but a tough task lies ahead.

A rather fortunate winner, but was ultimately deserved. Woodgate is proving to be an inspired signing, though it remains to be seen how much himself and King can keep injury-free, but the defensive frailties are being gradually eroded. Robbo continues to redeem himself too, made a good save from Kalou in ET. Keane wasn't great in the 2nd half (missed the first), Zokora was doing his best not to win it for us (70 games and no goals, you seen why!), and Chimbonda - toys, pram etc. Shameful. and where did the ref get all that injury time in ET from? Not that it stopped Drogba complaining as usual.

LL - Never mind Main Street and the like, that cheapshot shite doesn't matter.

Mind you....

Owenmoresider

Tottenham came from a goal down to beat Chelsea at Wembley and win the Carling Cup after extra-time.

Jonathan Woodgate won it when Petr Cech disastrously punched the ball on to his head from Jermaine Jenas's free-kick.

Pascal Chimbonda had hit the bar for Spurs, before Didier Drogba's 20-yard free-kick gave Chelsea the lead with Paul Robinson badly out of position.

Spurs levelled when Wayne Bridge handled in the box and Dimitar Berbatov coolly rolled in the resulting penalty.

Spurs' success - their fourth League Cup win and first since 1999, their last major trophy - means their boss Juande Ramos has still never lost a cup final as a manager after five triumphs in Spain with Sevilla.

It ends Chelsea's quadruple hopes in Avram Grant's first season as Blues boss, though they are still in the hunt for the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup.

But Spurs set their stall out early on and began in a positive fashion in the first League Cup final at the new Wembley.

With only 30 seconds on the clock Juliano Beletti inexplicably gave the ball away to Robbie Keane, the striker racing through and seeing his 20-yard drive deflected wide by John Terry.

Twice in a minute Spurs could have gone in front, first Chimbonda heading a corner on to the bar and then Berbatov heading Keane's cross wide, before Chelsea came back into it.

After Frank Lampard shot off-target and Drogba curled a 25-yard free-kick high and wide, the Blues made a decisive breakthrough.

Didier Zokora tripped Drogba 20 yards out and the Ivorian dusted himself down to curl the resulting free-kick into the bottom left-hand side of Robinson's goal.

Robinson - only recalled to the Spurs team on Thursday for their Uefa Cup tie after a month on the sidelines - was in completely the wrong position and remained rooted to his spot as the ball flew past him.

Spurs tried an immediate reply, but Keane's shot was straight at Cech and then Berbatov slipped as Keane attempted to send him through on goal.

Chelsea, a side well-drilled in the art of defending a one-goal lead, rarely looked like surrendering their advantage - until, halfway through the second half, calamity struck.

Having struggled to make much headway against the Chelsea defence Spurs were gifted a penalty, Bridge bizarrely knocking the ball away with his left hand as he tussled with Aaron Lennon.

Berbatov, keeping his cool, waited for Cech to go left before he rolled the ball into the other side of the goal.

Suddenly Spurs were in the ascendancy and Zokora raced through, only for his first shot to hit Cech on the head and his second slice wide, before Berbatov stung Cech's palms with a fierce drive.

They only had to wait four minutes of extra-time to take a lead they would not relinquish, Cech punching a Jenas free-kick on to Woodgate's head and the ball trickling into an empty net.

Chelsea had to attack but the outstanding Woodgate and Ledley King stood firm, Blues substitute Salomon Kalou and Joe Cole both seeing shots saved by Robinson, but they were nothing more than half-chances.

Spurs deservedly hung on for a famous win and denied their London rivals back-to-back Carling Cup victories in the process.

Tottenham:

Robinson, Hutton, Woodgate, King, Chimbonda (Huddlestone 61), Lennon, Jenas, Zokora, Malbranque (Tainio 75), Berbatov, Keane (Kaboul 102).

Subs Not Used: Cerny, Bent.

Booked: Zokora, Tainio, Lennon, Jenas.

Goals: Berbatov 70 pen, Woodgate 94.

Chelsea:

Cech, Belletti, Carvalho, Terry, Bridge, Wright-Phillips (Kalou 72), Essien (Ballack 88), Lampard, Obi (Joe Cole 98), Anelka, Drogba.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Alex.

Booked: Obi, Carvalho.

Goals: Drogba 39.

Att: 87,660.

Ref: Mark Halsey (Lancashire).

new devil

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 24, 2008, 06:12:45 PM
Quote from: new devil on February 24, 2008, 06:06:41 PM

So he is a knob because since he was a young boy he has dreamed of winning a trophy at Wembley and finally achieved that today 
I struggle to understand how this makes him a knob   ???

No not because of what he said...just in general

THE MIGHTY QUINN

I'm no Spurs fan but you have to let them enjoy their moment of glory. Great to see Robbie Keane lift the trophy. Were Man U people not suggesting that everyone from Ireland should have supported their team when Roy Keane was captain in the European cup final as it would be great to see an Irishman lift the trophy, Surely the same rule should apply here.

ONeill

Yes, well done Spuds - by far the superior team during the game. Also, it looks like the North London derby is going to be ding-dust again after years of stagnation - that can only be good. Ramos seems to be the real deal and will probably be able to attract top class players from now on. Winning silverware was probably crucial in keeping Berbatov this summer. Chelsea are slowly on the wane with Grant. I know his results have been excellent in general, but you can see in their play. Unless there are wholesale changes in the summer, this Chelsea outfit will not be challenging for the title next year.

Glad Arsenal don't have to play Spurs again in the league this year; they're the form side. Unfortunately, Utd also have played them twice. One think that struck me today when I looked at both sets of players and fans - I've never seen so many cvnts in the one place at the same time before.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Congratulations to the Spuds indeed. Only seen parts of the game, but they seemed to be in complete control in the parts I've seen. Well done.

* (Don't tell Tony I said that)
Testing Accessibility

new devil

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on February 24, 2008, 08:11:19 PM
I'm no Spurs fan but you have to let them enjoy their moment of glory. Great to see Robbie Keane lift the trophy. Were Man U people not suggesting that everyone from Ireland should have supported their team when Roy Keane was captain in the European cup final as it would be great to see an Irishman lift the trophy, Surely the same rule should apply here.

I was supporting spurs today...just think Robbie Keane's a p***k

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: new devil on February 24, 2008, 08:37:39 PM
Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on February 24, 2008, 08:11:19 PM

I was supporting spurs today...just think Robbie Keane's a p***k

And have you have met him and spoke to him enough times to form this opinion  ???
Im sure he'd think you were a p***k too if he knew you  :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

new devil

No have never met him or spoke to him its only my opinion

Mods LL called me a p***k :'( :'(

Minder

Quote from: new devil on February 24, 2008, 09:21:31 PM
No have never met him or spoke to him its only my opinion

Mods LL called me a p***k :'( :'(
devil i dont think the mods can act if an allegation is true . . . . Anyway fair fucks to the spuds,they join such luminaries as middlesborough,leicester city etc as winners of the league cup
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

5 Sams

It's a bit like Down winning the McKenna Cup....no big deal... :-\
The Aristocrat Years

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

stew

Quote from: ONeill on February 24, 2008, 08:25:00 PM
Yes, well done Spuds - by far the superior team during the game. Also, it looks like the North London derby is going to be ding-dust again after years of stagnation - that can only be good. Ramos seems to be the real deal and will probably be able to attract top class players from now on. Winning silverware was probably crucial in keeping Berbatov this summer. Chelsea are slowly on the wane with Grant. I know his results have been excellent in general, but you can see in their play. Unless there are wholesale changes in the summer, this Chelsea outfit will not be challenging for the title next year.

Glad Arsenal don't have to play Spurs again in the league this year; they're the form side. Unfortunately, Utd also have played them twice. One think that struck me today when I looked at both sets of players and fans - I've never seen so many cvnts in the one place at the same time before.

You have never been to a Derry V Down championship game then.   :P
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.