Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: longballin on July 18, 2018, 01:11:24 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 18, 2018, 01:06:58 PM
Quote from: longballin on July 18, 2018, 12:59:38 PM
Have to laugh at Harte and these expert coaches who said the game was "evolving"... good to see now the penny has dropped and people realise the game was being destroyed and guess who was right all along... Joe Brolly

Who? A handful of people on this board??

most of the GAA has copped onto it hence the fall in attendances... blind yourself to it and it'll get worse. Check out Rory Story latest skit on it... is huge agreement with him. Disgrace how these coaches ruined our game sure even Enda McGinley has seen the light, took a while but he got there

Aye attendances are down but to point the finger at one issue is a bit short sighted. There's any number of socioeconomic and cultural factors playing a part in that and they won't be changed by implementing a feckin shot clock or stopping players back passing. That's a much bigger issue. Your guru Mr Brolly has done more than most to tarnish the view of the game - whatever happened to his half baked rule change about all kick outs going beyond the 45 or something like that?? Even he must have thought it was a bag of shite - didn't stop him sharing it with us all though. And ffs if you are using Rory's Stories as a piece of evidence to back up your point then you are struggling, you do realise he's taking the piss don't you??

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brollys-proposed-rules-for-gaelic-football-to-be-put-to-the-test-31332148.html
That was never a square ball!!

joemamas

Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2018, 01:24:20 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2018, 12:55:18 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2018, 12:42:31 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2018, 11:50:38 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2018, 11:45:28 AM
Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2018, 11:44:15 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2018, 11:29:44 AM
A sport where space is shut down systematically is pointless for the spectator.
It may be logical for the manager but the attendances will fall.
Mike Gibson and O'Driscoll and the great soccer players could/can find space where others can't see it but in gaelic football they'd be handpassing indefinitely.
Maybe a scoring clock would work. Something has to change.

There's barely working scoreboards in 99% of GAA grounds. This would be chaos. Maybe that's what spectators want? Complete chaos over a shot clock.
Start off in Porky Crokey
The current system is the veneration of crap

So a different rule for football in Croke Park, one particular pitch in Ireland. Where Dublin have home advantage 70% odd of the time and now a shot clock advantage, as they'll be used to it. I thought we were trying to stop the Dubs? Imagine saying the "Mark" only counts in Croke Park and not the rest of Ireland. Please, please, please, for the love of God, think things through before you post.

Come up with something to fix the game rather than moaning. The game is dying.

Twice on this thread I have suggested changes. You can go back and read them if you wish.
I'm not moaning. I'm pointing out unworkable, ill thought-out changes.
They work in other sports.
The sight of the Dubs playing keep ball for the last 2 and a half minutes of the AIF last year was a sign of how fucked up the game is.

I think the same thing could happen in this years final, chances are they will be in it and could very well be leading as we approach the 65th minute.

It may take something like this garbage on the biggest stage for croke park to address it.

trailer

Mike Gibson and O'Driscoll and the great soccer players could/can find space where others can't see it but in gaelic football they'd be handpassing indefinitely.

There's barely working scoreboards in 99% of GAA grounds. This would be chaos. Maybe that's what spectators want? Complete chaos over a shot clock.

So a different rule for football in Croke Park, one particular pitch in Ireland. Where Dublin have home advantage 70% odd of the time and now a shot clock advantage, as they'll be used to it. I thought we were trying to stop the Dubs? Imagine saying the "Mark" only counts in Croke Park and not the rest of Ireland. Please, please, please, for the love of God, think things through before you post.

Twice on this thread I have suggested changes. You can go back and read them if you wish.
The sight of the Dubs playing keep ball for the last 2 and a half minutes of the AIF last year was a sign of how fucked up the game is.

The key part of your sentence being "in other sports"
Come up with one rule change that will stop the Dubs keeping ball and critically will work in Gaelic Football.

sid waddell

Why the focus on the half way line here (GAA pitches don't have a half-way line).

Sure why not ban any passes that go backwards at all?

Make Gaelic football like rugby?

You could change the shape of the ball too.

sid waddell

Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2018, 01:58:12 PM

Come up with one rule change that will stop the Dubs keeping ball and critically will work in Gaelic Football.
You could have a mandatory time out with five minutes left, where each Dublin player runs to the sideline and is handcuffed for the remainder of the game?

Seems workable.

seafoid

I think the starting point is that it is no longer Gaelic football.
You could then analyse what other sports do about the possession problem.
I don't have time right now but I might look into it.

Rugby has the scrum...

Maybe one thing would be to let the Dubs off into a third championship called Possession Gaelic and let everyone else play football.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

TheGreatest

Here's an idea, when 5 or 6 points down with 10 minutes to go the losing team instead of having 14 men in their own half and closing up space could actually push up, go man on man and try and win the ball back as they require the ball to get the required scores to get themselves back into the game.

The team that are winning do not require the scores therefore do not need to attack, their work is done. The winning team are required to close out the game to ensure the victory for themselves and their fans by whatever means necessary and are not there to please the country with 75 minutes of samba Gaelic football and risk conceding the ensured victory.

Perhaps this could be practiced on the training pitch, however some teams may not have the fitness to do it, but not an excuse.

BennyHarp

Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2018, 02:21:19 PM

I think the starting point is that it is no longer Gaelic football.
You could then analyse what other sports do about the possession problem.
I don't have time right now but I might look into it.

Rugby has the scrum...

Maybe one thing would be to let the Dubs off into a third championship called Possession Gaelic and let everyone else play football.

Do any other sports think that having possession of the ball is a problem? 
That was never a square ball!!

Jayop

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 18, 2018, 02:49:21 PM

Basketball really did to the point they introduced the radical shot clock idea. That works in basketball though because every court is more or less the same and you don't need a jumbotron sized clock on both ends of the field for the players to be able to see it.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on July 18, 2018, 02:14:58 PM

You could have a mandatory time out with five minutes left, where each Dublin player runs to the sideline and is handcuffed for the remainder of the game?

Seems workable.
Maybe a focus on manliness would do the trick

http://rugbylad.com/watch-luke-fitzgerald-absolutely-tears-into-paul-kimmage-in-heated-argument/

Those are the rules. You go through them to show me where it is ok to do what Dublin did last Sunday. 37:00
 Three Mayo players are wrestled to the ground in the last few minutes. Disgraceful way to win all Ireland.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dec

Quote from: Jayop on July 18, 2018, 04:08:13 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 18, 2018, 02:49:21 PM

Basketball really did to the point they introduced the radical shot clock idea. That works in basketball though because every court is more or less the same and you don't need a jumbotron sized clock on both ends of the field for the players to be able to see it.

American football introduced the 4 downs system and rugby league introduced the 6 tackle rule to prevent teams from just holding possession and trying to run down the clock

ONeill

Prepared to accept I'm out of touch about this.

But, I see nothing wrong with keeping the ball if a) you're skilful enough to do it and b) the opposition won't do something about it albeit risk leaving yourself massively open at the back.

Do you think the Dubs would allow Tyrone to keep ball for the last 5 mins - not a chance. They'll tear into us and attempt to turn the ball over.

Also, not many teams can do what Dublin did on Saturday. But again, they were allowed to do it. If you're 4/5 down with 4/5 left you flood their half or middle third if they attempt to keep possession. Go down fighting. When Tyrone led by 3 in both AI wins v Kerry there was no chance Tyrone could pass the parcel because Kerry were down their throats.

Maybe that's easier said than done.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Solo_run

I actually think holding the ball is the way to beat blanket defences.

ONeill

Nearly sure in the Dublin Tyrone game last year Colm Cavanagh was exasperated at how his own players wouldn't leave their stations when Dublin held the ball around the middle, waving them up to dung out around the middle. Only a handful did.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Solo_run

Quote from: ONeill on July 18, 2018, 05:09:45 PM
Nearly sure in the Dublin Tyrone game last year Colm Cavanagh was exasperated at how his own players wouldn't leave their stations when Dublin held the ball around the middle, waving them up to dung out around the middle. Only a handful did.

Think the fear is there that when teams defend all they will do is defend, whenever players are passing the ball around in the middle, in front of the defence they are almost daring the opposition to push up on them. The problem is, when you push up gaps open up.