Van attack in Barcelona

Started by omagh_gael, August 17, 2017, 04:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on August 18, 2017, 08:17:45 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 18, 2017, 07:42:38 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 18, 2017, 12:06:40 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 17, 2017, 11:55:13 PM
Sure why not just have fecking 30 foot railings the whole way round each city...

Remember living in Belfast and if you happened to be caught out when the gates closed at 11 you had to climb them to get home!

Shit way to live

Yeah, a barrier that could save a lot of lives is a shit way to live alright. There are plenty of barriers that can prevent most vehicles but not impede pedestrians in any way.

If Ireland doesn't take heed of these warning signs all over Europe we deserve what we get.

You honestly think a 30 foot barrier will save lives?? Flipping numpty! They'll change method to something else and continue on doing what they do.... terrorise

Why do you keep talking about a 30 foot barrier????  A row of bollards is all that's needed.

Ok a row of bollards, that will stop a person wanting to set off a bomb or shoot people or stab people?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Boycey

Quote from: doodaa on August 18, 2017, 08:22:15 AM
I cant understand these people that take their phone out and start filming injured and dead people.
Even if you aren't first aid trained surely your first instinct should be to go and help the people instead of filming them.

Its sickening behaviour and is also a valuable tool for the terrorists in terms of propaganda. Why do their job for them?

New buildings these days are built/ landscaped with terrorism in mind...strategically placed stone/ concrete sculptures, seats, anything really would reduce the scale of the carnage. It would work in pedestrian areas and shouldn't impact on daily life. Even Belfast City Airport has now got a big grass bank where the old drop off used to be and doesn't detract from the look of the place.

Active bollards exist as well for the likes of Fire Engines/ Ambulances etc

I don't understand it either although I did read somewhere that that footage is useful to police in the aftermath. However it's one thing to record it quite another to post it on social media? I was searching yesterday for news on it and clicked what I thought was a link from an on scene news reporter which I had to turn off after 2/3 seconds as it was making me ill.

doodaa

Quote from: Boycey on August 18, 2017, 09:14:51 AM
Quote from: doodaa on August 18, 2017, 08:22:15 AM
I cant understand these people that take their phone out and start filming injured and dead people.
Even if you aren't first aid trained surely your first instinct should be to go and help the people instead of filming them.

Its sickening behaviour and is also a valuable tool for the terrorists in terms of propaganda. Why do their job for them?

New buildings these days are built/ landscaped with terrorism in mind...strategically placed stone/ concrete sculptures, seats, anything really would reduce the scale of the carnage. It would work in pedestrian areas and shouldn't impact on daily life. Even Belfast City Airport has now got a big grass bank where the old drop off used to be and doesn't detract from the look of the place.

Active bollards exist as well for the likes of Fire Engines/ Ambulances etc

I don't understand it either although I did read somewhere that that footage is useful to police in the aftermath. However it's one thing to record it quite another to post it on social media? I was searching yesterday for news on it and clicked what I thought was a link from an on scene news reporter which I had to turn off after 2/3 seconds as it was making me ill.

I would doubt if evidence gathering is their main motive, more than likely they want their name on a little BBC caption on the news that night. Sick.

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 18, 2017, 09:13:46 AM
Sure why not just have fecking 30 foot railings the whole way round each city...

Remember living in Belfast and if you happened to be caught out when the gates closed at 11 you had to climb them to get home!

Shit way to live

Yeah, a barrier that could save a lot of lives is a shit way to live alright. There are plenty of barriers that can prevent most vehicles but not impede pedestrians in any way.

If Ireland doesn't take heed of these warning signs all over Europe we deserve what we get.

You honestly think a 30 foot barrier will save lives?? Flipping numpty! They'll change method to something else and continue on doing what they do.... terrorise

Why do you keep talking about a 30 foot barrier????  A row of bollards is all that's needed.

Ok a row of bollards, that will stop a person wanting to set off a bomb or shoot people or stab people?

No, but they could stop these attacks with cars. 

Ie, the type of attack that has been most common recently and the type of attack that this thread is specifically discussing.

A 30 foot barrier wouldn't stop someone wanting to bomb, shoot or stab people either. 

Walter Cronc

CPTED. Crime prevention through environmental design.

The siting of mature trees and bollards screened as benches has the ability to stop these types of car/van attacks.

However as mentioned it won't stop the lone wolf attack.

cornerback

All modern tourist attractions/arenas would have these kind of bollards built into the architecture - for example the big "ARSENAL" sign outside the Emirates.  But then that wouldn't stop a Manchester Arena type attack.

Provisions have to be made for these car rampages as they are so easy to carry out but unfortunately it's not going to stop the terrorists carrying out other types of attack.

stew

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 17, 2017, 10:20:12 PM
Quote from: stew on August 17, 2017, 07:44:45 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 17, 2017, 06:56:34 PM
Every major city in Europe is getting attacked something if anything has to be done to stop this madness. Some horrific videos posted up on social media, the people responsible for those videos should have a little cop on.

A little cop on????? For f**k sake they should be tried and if convicted they should work at hard labour until they die, with a kicking every now and again the horrible b**tards!
Stew, I assume you misread his post?

Er.... Correct, obviously meant that for the scum driving into people.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on August 18, 2017, 10:31:31 AM

Shit way to live

Ie, the type of attack that has been most common recently and the type of attack that this thread is specifically discussing.

A 30 foot barrier wouldn't stop someone wanting to bomb, shoot or stab people either.

If you read my post again I was joking about the 30 foot barrier!! Lived through as you have and did nothing to prevent bombs or shootings in Belfast...

intelligence is only way they will stop these attacks or at the very least minimize them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thejuice

The extremists will likely adapt and change to suit whatever environment you create. They already have us going through the drudgery of airport security and turning our cities into nicely landscape fortresses isn't stopping the underlying causes.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

armaghniac

It is easier to get a vehicle than build a bomb, so bollards and the like might still do some good. Likewise you might get some intelligence about people trying to get bomb making materials, but everyone has a yoke.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Iceman

you can't prepare or defeat gorilla warfare...the Irish know this better than most. It is a long strategy, a grueling strategy, one that pits sheer force of will and belief in a cause against a mammoth force and takes small bites of it over and over again...
they've coupled this with population, numbers. no abortions, no euthanasia, average of 3-5 children per household against countries like Belgium where couples have 1.3 children, abortions and euthanasia. 15 or 20 years down the line muslims are the majority....with more countries to follow?

Today there are dissident republicans in Ireland..I know who the ones are in my own town and I haven't lived there for 10-12 years. You know who the ones are in your town but you would never give them up even if you disagree with what they are doing? I can't see muslims giving up ISIS or radicals - I can't.

I don't know how to stop it or how to slow it but I believe its coming
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Iceman on August 18, 2017, 02:03:18 PM
you can't prepare or defeat gorilla warfare...the Irish know this better than most. It is a long strategy, a grueling strategy, one that pits sheer force of will and belief in a cause against a mammoth force and takes small bites of it over and over again...
they've coupled this with population, numbers. no abortions, no euthanasia, average of 3-5 children per household against countries like Belgium where couples have 1.3 children, abortions and euthanasia. 15 or 20 years down the line muslims are the majority....with more countries to follow?

Today there are dissident republicans in Ireland..I know who the ones are in my own town and I haven't lived there for 10-12 years. You know who the ones are in your town but you would never give them up even if you disagree with what they are doing? I can't see muslims giving up ISIS or radicals - I can't.

Bananas. Use bananas.

Syferus

Quote from: thejuice on August 18, 2017, 12:56:46 PM
The extremists will likely adapt and change to suit whatever environment you create. They already have us going through the drudgery of airport security and turning our cities into nicely landscape fortresses isn't stopping the underlying causes.

Just because they'll adapt you don't fĂșcking stop trying to make it as hard as possible for them. I'd hate to see you or Milltown dealing with computer security.. sure they'll find a way in, let's not bother making it hard for them.

Preventive measures for attacks and dealing with the root causes is not an either/or situation.

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 18, 2017, 12:42:38 PM
Quote from: Franko on August 18, 2017, 10:31:31 AM

Shit way to live

If you read my post again I was joking about the 30 foot barrier!! Lived through as you have and did nothing to prevent bombs or shootings in Belfast...

intelligence is only way they will stop these attacks or at the very least minimize them

Yes, it was hilarious.

Disagree wrt intelligence.  The only way to stop this is playing the long game of winning over hearts and minds.  What intelligence is to be gained on a lone wolf who hires/buys a car and drives it into people?  How would you prove that a random would-be terrorist was planning one of these attacks?  Because he's a muslim with a car??

Properly placed and discreet barriers to vehicle access in heavily pedestrianised areas of main city centres would definitely help.  At the very least it would make it difficult for the lunatic in a hire car.  Stopping someone who wants to get a gun/make a bomb is a completely different problem, and one where you can at least catch and convict someone of something BEFORE they actually carry out their attack.

LCohen

Quote from: The Iceman on August 18, 2017, 02:03:18 PM

Yes those gorillas. Dangerous beasties in a conflict scenario

There certainly are parallels with Ireland. When a half wit convinces themselves they are right some element will convince themselves that any step is justified. No difference between indiscriminate bombing and indiscriminate bombing. The objective of both is to terrorise the many and heyho some might die along the way

Anybody who looks to ancient texts for their life guidance might just end up taking the whole thing seriously. Then we are all in trouble. Society's enforced respect for religion and reluctance to examine the texts and current beliefs doesn't help.

Ring the police re those dissos.