Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Club boi

Even Tyrones biggest and most faithful supporters have to be questioning today's performance. With other Ulster teams results it shows how bad Ulster football is at the minute and the 2 titles are worth very little. Still no where near the level of the top 3 and yet to even contest against them in a competitive championship Game. No Plan B so evident it was Embarrassing today to stick to the structure and let Dublin hop the ball about in the middle third at ease

southtyronegael

lenny

Quote from: Club boi on August 27, 2017, 07:27:04 PM
Even Tyrones biggest and most faithful supporters have to be questioning today's performance. With other Ulster teams results it shows how bad Ulster football is at the minute and the 2 titles are worth very little. Still no where near the level of the top 3 and yet to even contest against them in a competitive championship Game. No Plan B so evident it was Embarrassing today to stick to the structure and let Dublin hop the ball about in the middle third at ease

Harte needs to be given a 3 year contract immediately. He has brought the team on and progress is evident.

Localexpert

Just back from a horrendous day in croker.

Due to the fact he doesnt want to go and is desperate to stay on id imagine micky will leave tyrone senior management in the same manner he arrived ..... controversially.  It's all becoming strangely similar to arsene wenger at arsenal as in both have been there a long time with great initial success but havent hit the big time for quite a while and when it looks like it will be turned around with cup wins (fa cup/Anglo celt and similarly winning 2 in a row) they bow out with a lacklustre performance. 

Dublin will most likely cement their place second only to the great kerry team with a win against mayo so for me it means either tyrone dont have the right players to compete at the very top or they need a change in direction.  I've saw before the stats on all Ireland quarter final and semi final appearances in recent years so either we are happy with that and reward him with more years or move on to try and get back to the pinnacle of the football ladder.

We don't make the decisions but I'm sure we can all agree if it was anybody else from managing from 2009 to now they wouldn't have lasted this long.

Thoughts?

The Trap

Don't think there is a better manager in Tyrone but if the present management stay they must play proper football. That is terrible to watch even when winning games in ulster. Go toe to toe with the dubs Mayo and Kerry and give it a lash.

An Watcher

It may be terrible to watch but would the old style beat Donegal in ballybofey on a wet day?  It never did but this system could.  Do u be happy winning Ulster titles and not competing on the national stage or forget about Ulster and play your attacking more fluid football but probably still lose to the dubs?? Decisions Decisions

ose 14

to persist with the same three players in a fullbackline that was exposed by mayo last year is beyond belief. to play two sweepers to protect them is even more incredulous. colm cavnagh was blewtered after 10m minutes today out on his feet trying to plug holes with that big ambling frame of his. our continued use of small players up front continues to baffle, our u 17 team is full of them too. we kept our zonal marking system in position at 1-7 to 4 pts today and allowed kilkenny fenton and mccarthy the fredom of croke park a bit like oshea parsons and mclaughlin in the last 10mins of QF last year. if you perisit with the same personnel/procedures and expect a different outcome then you are either incredibly stubborn silly or you dont know what the hell your doing. tyrone were poor today but are they really that poor. dublin are an awesome team tyrone are not but i do think a more positive approach with a better fullbackline and a committed plan to attack in numbers would get us closer than our current thinking.

driveherin

Sean Cavanagh deserves a huge pat on the back...fantastic servant to Tyrone Football. Who else is likely to go? Justy? McCarron? That's probably it from a young team?

Is that the end of Mickey and Horse? I hope so...a fresh face and voice required. Also...he has no intentions of getting rid of his ultra defensive system if he stays on!!! (according to his BBC interview) Baffling!!!

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: driveherin on August 28, 2017, 10:00:27 AM
Sean Cavanagh deserves a huge pat on the back...fantastic servant to Tyrone Football. Who else is likely to go? Justy? McCarron? That's probably it from a young team?

Is that the end of Mickey and Horse? I hope so...a fresh face and voice required. Also...he has no intentions of getting rid of his ultra defensive system if he stays on!!! (according to his BBC interview) Baffling!!!

What difference will a change of system make?

It seems like those championing Harte leave are just looking for change for change's sake.

The one thing that was repeated going down before Sunday was that Tyrone would go toe to toe with Dublin physically and athletically. We were destroyed in those departments. We don't have enough big athletic, quick, talented footballers in the county.

Mark Bradley is a lovely footballer but he's too small for the modern game. If he was playing in Dublin, he wouldn't be looked at because of his height. I had a look through the match programme last year, I don't think I saw one player under 5"11 on the Dublin squad.

As a general rule to make the Dublin squad, you have to be:

5"11 or over
Have supreme pace, power and fitness
Be a very good footballer

No other county has that sort of luxury, Kerry carry a lot of players without the requisite mobility for the modern game. Mayo have a few lads there who lack in certain aspects as do Tyrone.

longballin

At least Mayo and Kerry would go toe-to-toe with Dublin... that was embarassing crowd jeering every Dublin pass as Tyrone defended a 7 point deficit in the first half. At least have a go. So much for master tacticians...

saffronog67

We will never know if Tyrone had good enough players yesterday to trouble Dublin because they weren't allowed to show it. I can only assume they were told not to break in numbers because with every good turnover Tyrone grinded for, one or two carried the ball forward and got wrapped up, then dispossessed.

There was obviously a degree of nervousness in the camp too, I counted 7 unforced handling errors in the first 30 minutes. It isn't all doom and gloom, they will learn.

Meyler was very bright when he came on, but at the end of the day the biggest problem is scoring forwards and if you are not playing and feeding scoring forwards, plural, all year then what can you expect from them in big games?

delgany

Peter Harte fouled off the ball consistently by dubs all day.

tothetop03

Massively Disappointed with yesterday....getting beat i have no problem with.....but not having a real go at any stage is really annoying...

Who was playing Left half back yesterday marking Dublin No26 Niall Scully?

Club boi

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 28, 2017, 10:31:23 AM

It seems like those championing Harte leave are just looking for change for change's sake.

The one thing that was repeated going down before Sunday was that Tyrone would go toe to toe with Dublin physically and athletically. We were destroyed in those departments. We don't have enough big athletic, quick, talented footballers in the county.

Mark Bradley is a lovely footballer but he's too small for the modern game. If he was playing in Dublin, he wouldn't be looked at because of his height. I had a look through the match programme last year, I don't think I saw one player under 5"11 on the Dublin squad.

5"11 or over

No other county has that sort of luxury, Kerry carry a lot of players without the requisite mobility for the modern game. Mayo have a few lads there who lack in certain aspects as do Tyrone.

I would argue Tyrone started with 14 very good footballers yesterday but Dublin played attacking football, leaving 2 or 3 forwards in the full forward line for 75% of the game and made we boys out of Tyrone because nobody was tackling them. Its the "System" and the Defensive Set Up that irks most supporters. Mayo learnt from the 1st game with Kerry and went toe to toe with them and beat them. Tyrone wouldve had a better chance playing football against Dublin than playing defenseball. Jaysus it was a poor scene when loosing by 5-6-7 points and sitting back. Embarressing infact

The Golden Years

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 28, 2017, 10:31:23 AM

5"11 or over

Should this not be a prerequisite for every county team??? Tyrone have players on the team that might not even make the best club times in the country.  Thankfully Connor Gormley was brave enough to throw himself at a players feet to make his block  in 03 otherwise we might have no all Irelands unlike a certain player who put out his hand and turned his back yesterday (and probably closed his eyes) attempting to make a block for for Dublins first goal. Fortune favours the brave.