Learning to drive

Started by Boycey, August 10, 2017, 09:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 02, 2019, 10:26:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 02, 2019, 08:22:10 PM

A non fuel type plane obviously.  ::)

As the damage you did/partake with that flight back and fourth was damaging the environment more than that crap ya put on those other posts make you into a hypocrite

I'm a hypocrite if I cross the Atlantic on something other than a human-powered plane? The Gossamer Albatross has a limited range. Where it's possible for me to replace fossil-fueled trips with the bike or something more sustainable I'm happy to do it. But then the environment isn't the main reason I cycle anyway. I mainly do it because I enjoy it.

You'd listed a load of points about the environmental benefits of cycling but manage to leave a carbon footprint far bigger than someone driving 11,000 a year!

So review your posts
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 02, 2019, 06:28:22 PM
Practically all buses are at least gas in California

Nope.

Quoteand a good portion Electric

Nope.

Quotebut you still got to pay to go on.

Farebox recovery is quite low in America. The local transit agency here has the lowest farebox recovery rate in the nation. Public transport is heavily subsidized, just like driving.

QuoteBus travel has been shown to be the safest method of travel and they dont travel on footpaths so they are safer to pedestrians than the 2 wheeled demonic saviours of the world

It's safe for the people on board, but then again so is a tank. Not so safe for the pedestrians crossing streets.

QuoteAnd quit harping on about damage to a road surface,

What if I refuse?

Quoteyou are likely correct

Now you're catching on, old boy!

Quotebut its relevance is minuscule, the environment is the biggest factor in road surface wear.  If a road had no one on it, it would need repairs almost as quick as if it had cyclists or motorists.
IN fact now that i think about it if a road had no motor vehicles they wouldnt supress the weeds and would prob destroy the surface faster

Vehicles mean less wear on the road than if weeds were allowed to grow? That's a fine set of straws you're clutching at there. But then again bicycle traffic would be enough to keep weeds at bay so I'm not sure why you think you're onto something there.

{cyclists} they dont pay their fair share...

Yes they do

they pay the same taxes as everyone else and a good portion in urban areas of California dont pay any tax whatsoever
Not physically possible. Payroll taxes, income taxes, sales taxes. All but impossible to avoid paying a decent amount of tax whether you ride a bike or not.

The point was they take up less room on the road so you have to include the 1.5m as most cyclists are singular and need as much room as a car... except when they're trying to make points that they take up less room than cars

False. Add in the 3-foot clearance requirement when overtaking and bikes still take up less room. Bikes are not required to keep 3 feet between each other. Cars are by far the least space-efficient mode of transport. Fact.

This is too easy.  ;D

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 02, 2019, 10:29:39 PM

You'd listed a load of points about the environmental benefits of cycling but manage to leave a carbon footprint far bigger than someone driving 11,000 a year!

So review your posts

Okay, I've reviewed them. What do I do now?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 02, 2019, 12:57:03 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 02, 2019, 12:13:10 AM

Yes you pay income tax the same as everyone else who are not cyclists, so why should you be allowed special treatment and allowed to use the road without paying additional tax like other road users.

Excellent question. Thanks for asking.

• Less noise than if I took the car.
when you take the plane how loud is it?
  • Less danger to pedestrians.
  • Less congestion, which helps other people to get there.
  • Less infrastructure used up getting from A to B, lowering the tax bill.
  • Less infrastructure used up storing the vehicle, lowering the tax bill and lowering my employer's expenses.
  • Less damage to the road surface.
  • Fewer greenhouse gas emissions.
greenhouse gas emissions more than a car?
  • Fewer toxic NOx emissions.
  • Fewer cancer-causing particulate emissions.
more cancer causing emissions?
  • Greater health benefits for myself, which contributes to greater public health and less stress on the health care system (smaller premiums for everyone, in American parlance).
  • Making the city a more pleasant place for everyone.

Next question.

Just a few
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

t_mac

Quote from: t_mac on August 02, 2019, 09:57:37 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 02, 2019, 05:40:38 PM
Quote from: t_mac on August 02, 2019, 02:07:30 PM
They should be insured, if a cyclist causes damage to my car, who pays for it, my insurance?  They should also not be allowed on the road without some training just today two lycra chicks struggling to pedal on a country road all over the shop, veering in and out from edge to middle, the mind boggles!

So a 10-year old girl on a Barbie bike should pay tax, insurance, and have a number plate? Catch yourself on.

What is a ten year old doing cycling on the road on a Barbie bike?

?

t_mac

Quote from: t_mac on August 02, 2019, 08:02:16 AM
    Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 02, 2019, 12:57:03 AM
    Quote from: omaghjoe on August 02, 2019, 12:13:10 AM

Yes you pay income tax the same as everyone else who are not cyclists, so why should you be allowed special treatment and allowed to use the road without paying additional tax like other road users.

Excellent question. Thanks for asking.

• Less noise than if I took the car.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48815968
    • Less danger to pedestrians.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48815968 - Also mounting the path to get pass obstructions isn't that safe for the pedestrian.
    • Less congestion, which helps other people to get there.
    Is it Eastenders now everyone working beside their house?
    • Less infrastructure used up getting from A to B, lowering the tax bill.
    Love you to explain this - are you redesigning the whole country?
    • Less infrastructure used up storing the vehicle, lowering the tax bill and lowering my employer's expenses.
    See above
    • Less damage to the road surface.
    Surely just need footpaths and bike lanes  ;D
    • Fewer greenhouse gas emissions.
    Except for those on here flying all over the place to ride their bikes in foreign clims!
    • Fewer toxic NOx emissions.
    Except for those on here flying all over the place to ride their bikes in foreign clims! Or strapping the bikes to the 4X4 to go on hols!
    • Fewer cancer-causing particulate emissions.
    See above
    • Greater health benefits for myself, which contributes to greater public health and less stress on the health care system (smaller premiums for everyone, in American parlance).
    I'd wager to guess your mental health will be your major premium.
    • Making the city a more pleasant place for everyone.
    Yip everyone doing what they want on a bike obeying no rules whatsoever.
    [/list]

Next question.

?

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 02, 2019, 10:40:10 PM
    Quote from: omaghjoe on August 02, 2019, 06:28:22 PM
    Practically all buses are at least gas in California

Nope.

Quoteand a good portion Electric

Nope.

Quotebut you still got to pay to go on.

Farebox recovery is quite low in America. The local transit agency here has the lowest farebox recovery rate in the nation. Public transport is heavily subsidized, just like driving.

QuoteBus travel has been shown to be the safest method of travel and they dont travel on footpaths so they are safer to pedestrians than the 2 wheeled demonic saviours of the world

It's safe for the people on board, but then again so is a tank. Not so safe for the pedestrians crossing streets.

QuoteAnd quit harping on about damage to a road surface,

What if I refuse?

Quoteyou are likely correct

Now you're catching on, old boy!

Quotebut its relevance is minuscule, the environment is the biggest factor in road surface wear.  If a road had no one on it, it would need repairs almost as quick as if it had cyclists or motorists.
    IN fact now that i think about it if a road had no motor vehicles they wouldnt supress the weeds and would prob destroy the surface faster

Vehicles mean less wear on the road than if weeds were allowed to grow? That's a fine set of straws you're clutching at there. But then again bicycle traffic would be enough to keep weeds at bay so I'm not sure why you think you're onto something there.

{cyclists} they dont pay their fair share...

Yes they do

they pay the same taxes as everyone else and a good portion in urban areas of California dont pay any tax whatsoever
    Not physically possible. Payroll taxes, income taxes, sales taxes. All but impossible to avoid paying a decent amount of tax whether you ride a bike or not.

The point was they take up less room on the road so you have to include the 1.5m as most cyclists are singular and need as much room as a car... except when they're trying to make points that they take up less room than cars

False. Add in the 3-foot clearance requirement when overtaking and bikes still take up less room. Bikes are not required to keep 3 feet between each other. Cars are by far the least space-efficient mode of transport. Fact.

This is too easy.  ;D

Eamon no point in me continuing any further on this since my only goal here was to demonstrate the delusion of cyclists when it comes to their road use. Thanks for providing yourself as a worthy specimen tho  ;)

t_mac

Poor Eamonn his climate saving efforts is akin to someone being a vegan when they are asleep only. ;D

armaghniac

It amazing the number of "responsible" parents who encourage their children in delinquent and illegal behaviour on the footpath. This is when some people's true colours become obvious.
    If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 03, 2019, 03:50:29 AM

Eamon no point in me continuing any further on this since my only goal here was to demonstrate the delusion of cyclists when it comes to their road use. Thanks for providing yourself as a worthy specimen tho  ;)

Thanks for admitting defeat, Joe!  ;D

t_mac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 05, 2019, 06:28:55 PM
    Quote from: omaghjoe on August 03, 2019, 03:50:29 AM

Thanks for admitting defeat, Joe!  ;D

You really proved Joe's point there.  ;D