Buying a house

Started by Boolerhead Mel, January 06, 2009, 03:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazer

I went to view a flat today and it has damp along the front walls (Its a top floor flat)- anyone know if this would be expensive to fix? - obviously I will get someone to look at it if i decide I want to put in an offer but would like an idea of this first?

Also how much below the asking price is reasonable for an offer?
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

orangeman

Quote from: Lazer on July 28, 2009, 04:55:02 PM
I went to view a flat today and it has damp along the front walls (Its a top floor flat)- anyone know if this would be expensive to fix? - obviously I will get someone to look at it if i decide I want to put in an offer but would like an idea of this first?

How much they asking ?

Lazer

Quote from: orangeman on July 28, 2009, 05:32:50 PM
Quote from: Lazer on July 28, 2009, 04:55:02 PM

How much they asking ?

About £95k
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Final Whistle

There are various methods of solving this problem but as a top srory flat they are not practicle!! As its a top story flat with damp there are problems and problems=poor workmanship!

stay well clear!

SidelineKick

Chance your arm at 85k.  Let the offer sit as if you really aren't bothered.  Any other offers on it?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

StGallsGAA

QuoteI went to view a flat today and it has damp along the front walls (Its a top floor flat)- anyone know if this would be expensive to fix? - obviously I will get someone to look at it if i decide I want to put in an offer but would like an idea of this first?

As its a top story flat with damp there are problems and problems=poor workmanship!

I can assure you that it is not damp in a top story flat and nothing to do with workmanship either.

This is very common in apartments and comes from drying the clothes inside without a window open.  The condensation settles on the external walls causing black mould, not damp.  It will more than likely wash of or at very most repainting.  

Don't let that prevent you claiming is IS damp and haggling the price down further tho! ;)

Final Whistle

If he has a flat with damp on the top story, its not rising damp but more than likely penetrative damp. A surveyor will be able to diagnose the problem in seconds.

Im sure he would be able to tell if there is condensation or not.

orangeman

Does the complex have a flat roof ?

orangeman

I'm reading on the BBC that house prices are rising - up 0.8% this month after 2 consecutive smallish rises.

Is anyone else seing any evidence of house prices at least stabilising or even rising ?

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: orangeman on September 10, 2009, 10:02:54 AM
I'm reading on the BBC that house prices are rising - up 0.8% this month after 2 consecutive smallish rises.

Is anyone else seing any evidence of house prices at least stabilising or even rising ?

I've been keeping an eye on things...

What I have noticed is houses that are resonably priced seem to be moving. Although there is more talk of 'toxic debt' in the south about to be chased by selling off property in the north... could flood the market; at best stalling prices!

Donagh

The summer months are always best for selling. Seasonal blip.

Prices may stop falling soon providing the market isn't flooded but I wouldn't think anyone can know for certain this side of Christmas. After that I say they won't rise again for four or five years. 

orangeman

I'm noticing that houses with a sensible asking price are definitely moving and speaking to some people, confidence seems to be returning.

The flooding of the market could be a real problem alright.

I do think that prices generally will rise within the 4/5 year period although maybe only 1 or 2% a year.

FermGael

Patience is the key at this stage.

I have noticed that houses put up for sale in the last month have a more reasonable asking price.
People are finally beginning to realize that the the 07 prices are now part of history.

Those stat's from Halifax are only for the whole of the UK.
Try to get the regional report for Northen Ireland.
The last time they came out, it was up 1.6% in the UK, yet down 5% in N.Ireland :o
We had the biggest bubble, we will have the biggest crash.

With rising unemployment, Nama and coupled with future interest rate rises(they will not stay at this level for ever),
house prices will decrease for the next 2-3 years IMO.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Rois

Yay, interest rate held at 0.5% by the Bank of England.