So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 28, 2015, 01:38:45 PM
The only positive development that the black card, as is currently defined, has brought is the elimination of off the ball blocking of runs.
I agree, and it is something i think strictly enforcing the Yellow card for would have done just as well.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

fearglasmor

You can have all the colours of the rainbow if you like but the only conclusion I can come to is that referees choose not to implement the rules as they are written because they know they would probably be left with only themselves and the goalkeepers on the field.

So what you get is the worst thing possible, referees making it up as they go, leading to  inconsistency from ref to ref, game to game and even by the same ref within one game.

I dont know how it will ever change.

Zulu

This is exactly it IMO. From the bit of refereeing I do I find that if I strictly interpreted the rule book then football would be a non-contact sport but as I want to allow lads play the game as a physical game then I allow fouling so when I do blow for a free it's easy for some players or managers to feel that I'm being inconsistent. It really is a very difficult to game to ref consistently when many incidents could be interpreted either way. Lads trying too win frees doesn't make it any easier. I think our referees are poor but it's incredibly hard to a good referee now when you have multiple tacklers, lads diving and a less physical interpretation of game.

westbound

Well said zulu.

Another problem is that so many players and supporters don't know the rules.

I'm not a referee, but refs get overly criticised by supporters. I was in croke park on sunday and one 'fan' behind me was blaming the referee for Down and Roscommon getting so many men behind the ball in the first half. I didn't engage with the man, but i'd loved to ask him what he expected the referee to do? Drag 6 forwards up the field by the collar to take up their forward positions??????

I'm not saying refs are perfect, but a lot of the problem is as Zulu said, that if the rule book was interpreted strictly, the number of frees in games would increase significantly and then refs would be criticised for being whistle happy!
It's a thankless job that I would never do!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: westbound on April 30, 2015, 09:43:42 AM
Well said zulu.

Another problem is that so many players and supporters don't know the rules.

I'm not a referee, but refs get overly criticised by supporters. I was in croke park on sunday and one 'fan' behind me was blaming the referee for Down and Roscommon getting so many men behind the ball in the first half. I didn't engage with the man, but i'd loved to ask him what he expected the referee to do? Drag 6 forwards up the field by the collar to take up their forward positions??????

I'm not saying refs are perfect, but a lot of the problem is as Zulu said, that if the rule book was interpreted strictly, the number of frees in games would increase significantly and then refs would be criticised for being whistle happy!
It's a thankless job that I would never do!

That'll stand to you come championship when all the day outers are out.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

fearglasmor

This is actually funny. Its the most stereotypical Irish attitude to problem that you could come up with.
The rules are there, literally in black and white.
But do ya know what I dont like them rules.
Ah sure we'll work it out as we go along. It'll be grand.

Instead it should be these are the rules this is how it goes.
If the rules are an ass then they will be changed.

Ah but sure.....that d be an awful lot of bother. Isnt it grand the way it is.

highorlow

Thu, May 7, 2015

Leinster Council chairman John Horan has questioned the implementation of the black card in Gaelic football.
Introduced last year with the intention of reducing the level of cynical fouling, as the guilty player must be replaced, the problem of late seems to be the reluctance of referees to use this new tool.
"I've had numerous discussions with people over the course of the national league and they were all agreed that there seemed to be a reluctance over the use of the black card," said Horan at the Leinster championship launch in Farmleigh House.
"The card was introduced with a specific aim: to rid the game of cynical fouls and behaviour. And I'd encourage referees to produce the black card in these instances and maybe keep Joe Brolly from boring us on television," Horan said. There were instances where the black card, for fouls or even "provocative language", could have been shown during last Saturday's under-21 All-Ireland football final. Four yellow cards were shown.
"It is now becoming a source of debate," Horan said. "Is the black card being implemented? From seeing last Saturday's match there were incidents in that match that looked like a black cards. Certainly the fella [Richie Feeney] from Castlebar Mitchels must feel very aggrieved ... It was correct to send him off but he must be seeing the similar incidents and wondering.
"I don't know what's going on but I hate to think we have brought it in and are not going to use it. I think the support is in place [for referees]. I am quite mystified."

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/leinster-council-chairman-questions-reluctance-of-referees-to-use-black-card-1.2202710

He makes a very good point on the Richie Feeney incident.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

brokencrossbar1

Why should Richie Feeney feel aggrieved?  He make a text book black card offence in the biggest club game of his career.  He was an idiot.  Like every other rule there will be timed when refs do and don't issue the black card but my experience to date is that most of the time they do get it right, particularly for the one that Feeney was called on.

highorlow

QuoteWhy should Richie Feeney feel aggrieved?  He make a text book black card offence in the biggest club game of his career.  He was an idiot.  Like every other rule there will be timed when refs do and don't issue the black card but my experience to date is that most of the time they do get it right, particularly for the one that Feeney was called on.

In the context of the article I think Horan is stating what has gone on since the Feeney incident his offence and punishment was not equitable, that is the main reason.

My take on it at the time is that I did not believe it to be a deliberate body check, the Vincent's lad was running towards Richie and his natural instinct was to protect himself. It was not a body check mastered by Donegal or Tyrone. Also why would anyone want to deliberately body check a man in his own half and out on the sideline.

highorlow

Quotebut my experience to date is that most of the time they do get it right,

That is the problem. Most isn't good enough.

You must have been abroad and didn't experience the latter stages of last years championship, FFS!

I won't mention incidents as I'm still trying to come to terms with what happened.

brokencrossbar1

It's as clear a body check as you will see, a straight frontal shoulder into a man after the man has played the ball.  This was never allowed in the game in any fashion and the black card did not outlaw this, it simply changed the punishment.  Like anything different there will always be cases that are highlighted as being missed but refs are human as well (despite what many people believe!!) and they make mistakes on many occassions, as do managers, as do players, as do supporters in their interpretation of the rules.  The black card is not ideal but if everyone accepts that it is part of the game then it will work.  The problem is that managers/players/pundits/supporters all feel that they have a vested interest in seeing the rule done away with.  Leave it as it is till everyone gets their head around it and balance will sort itself out

highorlow

QuoteLeave it as it is till everyone gets their head around it

:-\

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: highorlow on May 07, 2015, 04:15:06 PM
QuoteLeave it as it is till everyone gets their head around it

:-\

Not everyone accepts that the rules have changed and not everyone wants to accept it either and that includes refs.

screenexile

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 07, 2015, 04:12:14 PM

It's as clear a body check as you will see, a straight frontal shoulder into a man after the man has played the ball.  This was never allowed in the game in any fashion and the black card did not outlaw this, it simply changed the punishment.  Like anything different there will always be cases that are highlighted as being missed but refs are human as well (despite what many people believe!!) and they make mistakes on many occassions, as do managers, as do players, as do supporters in their interpretation of the rules.  The black card is not ideal but if everyone accepts that it is part of the game then it will work.  The problem is that managers/players/pundits/supporters all feel that they have a vested interest in seeing the rule done away with.  Leave it as it is till everyone gets their head around it and balance will sort itself out

In terms of the 3rd man tackle the black card has been a success I feel. The drag DOWN not so much as lads now make sure to pull the player back instead of down which is not a black card offence. The slagging off of referees and sledging I can't really comment on as I haven't played a game to see if it's going on but I'd say from any Club game I've been at it hasn't stopped too much.

I'm glad the 3rd man tackle part has been a success as it's a particular bug bear of mine seeing as I got flattened after I passed the ball and buckled my knee and haven't really played since. My own feeling on it is the drag/pull back should be included and a sin bin implemented for 10 minutes.

As well as giving lads a second chance to come back on should open the game up!

brokencrossbar1

In terms of the sledging I have witnessed 2 black cards for verbal abuse of the ref this season.  I saw a few last season but it also depends on the refs.