So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

Zulu

But that's true of every decision a ref makes. I'd wager if you placed 4 refs on each side of the pitch and asked them to write down all frees, yellows, blacks and reds they felt should be given in the game, not only would it be different from the ref who did the game but they would be different from each other.

Milltown Row2

Your right Zulu, but we are going to have ones complaining like fcuk all year regardless. This image say's it all, if we worked to this we'd cut a lot of shite out

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 14, 2014, 06:07:46 PM
I took an underage training session before and it was time to pick teams to play a match, I had red and black bibs. There were two lads of African decent playing. I handed out the bibs randomly and said 'red team you spread about and you're shooting that way', I was goin to say the same to the black team but the two lads were on it so I stopped in my tracks, would it be racist to call them the black team I asked myself.
I looked around and told the kids that the teams weren't fair so I swapped a few of them around, including the two black lads over to the red team. This solved an awful conundrum I had gotten myself into but what if a referee finds himself in a similar sticky situation? What if a coloured lad drags down a fella in a match and deserves a black card? Will the ref feel a bit racist doing this and give him a red instead?
was your act of 'swapping a few of them around' racially motivated?

Jinxy

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 14, 2014, 06:07:46 PM
I took an underage training session before and it was time to pick teams to play a match, I had red and black bibs. There were two lads of African decent playing. I handed out the bibs randomly and said 'red team you spread about and you're shooting that way', I was goin to say the same to the black team but the two lads were on it so I stopped in my tracks, would it be racist to call them the black team I asked myself.
I looked around and told the kids that the teams weren't fair so I swapped a few of them around, including the two black lads over to the red team. This solved an awful conundrum I had gotten myself into but what if a referee finds himself in a similar sticky situation? What if a coloured lad drags down a fella in a match and deserves a black card? Will the ref feel a bit racist doing this and give him a red instead?

Jesus.
Can you not just stick to ranting about Dublin and their millions?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dont Matter

Dont Matter gets nothing but abuse around here. It's all will you shut up about the money or shut up about this and get back to the money. Speaking of money, you know Dont Matter doesn't get paid to post here? You all get the pearls of wisdom for free. A bit of gratitude would be nice, saving the GAA takes time.
This is like the time of Jesus, they all thought he was a bit mad so they hammered his onto some wood. Will ya loosen the nails on me lads? You're going to be raging when you find out I was the voice of God all along. God could that fella Alan, just to keep our Muslim readers happy.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

muppet

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 15, 2014, 09:57:03 AM
Dont Matter gets nothing but abuse around here. It's all will you shut up about the money or shut up about this and get back to the money. Speaking of money, you know Dont Matter doesn't get paid to post here? You all get the pearls of wisdom for free. A bit of gratitude would be nice, saving the GAA takes time.
This is like the time of Jesus, they all thought he was a bit mad so they hammered his onto some wood. Will ya loosen the nails on me lads? You're going to be raging when you find out I was the voice of God all along. God could that fella Alan, just to keep our Muslim readers happy.

I was wondering whether you and Black Card were two sides of the same coin. But since he thinks there is no God and you think you are Jesus, I can probably rule that one out.
MWWSI 2017

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 14, 2014, 07:42:35 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2014, 12:35:55 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 14, 2014, 12:26:05 PM
From my experience of the black card in yesterdays club game, it was a complete disaster.
This has always been my biggest worry about the new rules, how they work when having to be implemented by referees at ALL levels.
The new rules do NOTHING to improve the game as a spectacle.
They encourage a player to take the ball into contact and then go down with the slightest of contact.
I know i will get loads of replies saying ' oh but thats nothing to do with the rules' but in my opinion it is.
There is alot more to gain now from 'going down easily' or 'diving' or whatever way you want to put it.

There is a huge grey area over what is a black card foul and what is not, its ok arguing the wording of the rulebook on here, but when it comes to referees making that distinction in real time during games confusion & inconsistency reign.
we had a player yesterday get a black card in the first 5 minutes or so for a foul that im pretty sure last season wouldnt have recieved a yellow even.
the ref went on to give out 5 more black cards, all of which where very debatable. (not to mention another clear bodycheck off the ball, for which he awarded a free but NO black card)

I can see there being huge controversy over this throughout the year, especially in club football.

be careful what you wish for lads.

That's what I'd be worried about alright.

But in terms of grey areas, I can't agree. It's as black and white as it can be. All the ref has to decide is was it deliberate or not. Of course some refs will make the wrong call there, and that's a flaw but ultimately all refereeing is flawed.
Refereed my second football game on Sunday, no black cards shown at all, in fairness both teams are not noted for cynical type football so all tackles (in my opinion, which on the day is the one that matters lol) seemed fair, and there was no calls for black cards by either the players or management teams. Can't see that lasting as the season hot's up and championship games kick in.

As a referee I'm not a fan of the black card rule only for the slobbering at the referee, deliberate pull downs/trips should be a yellow and followed by another should same player do it again. A home referee yesterday watching the game viewed 3 black cards in his opinion so it shows you the difference of how the rules are going to be applied
And there in lies the problem
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

sligoman2

So the consensus it that the message is good it's the messenger i.e th refs that are the problem.  We have the same reffing inconsistencies for yellow and red cards.

Let it play out, we know there will be bad calls in the championship and most will bash the rule but there will also be good calls and things that don't happen that will improve the games.

Time will tell
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: sligoman2 on April 15, 2014, 05:00:36 PM
So the consensus it that the message is good it's the messenger i.e th refs that are the problem.  We have the same reffing inconsistencies for yellow and red cards.

Let it play out, we know there will be bad calls in the championship and most will bash the rule but there will also be good calls and things that don't happen that will improve the games.

Time will tell
i would rather someone 'got away with' a yellow for a challenege that could be deemed a black card than a player having trained all year for the championship getting a very harsh black card early on and having to watch from the line.
I am also still to be convinced that the rules do ANYTHING to actually improve the game as a spectacle
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Dont Matter

Quote from: muppet on April 15, 2014, 01:47:20 PM
I was wondering whether you and Black Card were two sides of the same coin. But since he thinks there is no God and you think you are Jesus, I can probably rule that one out.

Think? I never think, I just know.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

screenexile

Had a briefing last night from referee's about the Black Card which was quite interesting.

The thing they highlighted most and said the key to the rule is 'deliberate' and '100% certainty'. The referee must be 100% certain that the act was deliberate otherwise a black card will not be shown. It explains why a few I thought to be Black Cards haven't been.

The other thing is that for the pull down black card 'there must be a clear pulling DOWN motion in the tackle'. Therefore pulling someone and them losing their footing or going to ground is not a black card!!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: screenexile on April 16, 2014, 11:25:56 AM
Had a briefing last night from referee's about the Black Card which was quite interesting.

The thing they highlighted most and said the key to the rule is 'deliberate' and '100% certainty'. The referee must be 100% certain that the act was deliberate otherwise a black card will not be shown. It explains why a few I thought to be Black Cards haven't been.

The other thing is that for the pull down black card 'there must be a clear pulling DOWN motion in the tackle'. Therefore pulling someone and them losing their footing or going to ground is not a black card!!
the referee we had at the weekend must have missed that meeting.
By that definition there should have been 1 black card in the game.
he issued 6

Zulu

That would have been my interpretation as well. A ref should be 100% sure before he makes any decision,not just black cards. The clear pulling down motion part of the interpretation is exactly correct and addresses the issue of diving.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Zulu on April 16, 2014, 11:41:33 AM

That would have been my interpretation as well. A ref should be 100% sure before he makes any decision,not just black cards. The clear pulling down motion part of the interpretation is exactly correct and addresses the issue of diving.
If thats the case then great, lets hope thats the way that the rules are actually applied by referess.
I would imagine if those guidelines are followed there will be very few black cards

Zulu

My view was always that if the sanction for certain fouls is severe enough then players will stop committing those fouls, which is why I was also strongly in favour of bringing the ball forward 40m for blocking quick frees etc. The black card proves that to be the case and is working tremendously well. Of course poor refs will make a hames of it but they're making a hames of everything. Part of the process has to be improving refereeing standards but that will only come when people are confident they won't get abused to high heaven by all and sundry, something the black cards will help with too.