Football All Stars 2018

Started by thewobbler, July 25, 2018, 06:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

When did Howard become a midfielder? Tom Flynn deserved an all star imo. I'd have Walsh in for McHugh too.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Syferus

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on November 01, 2018, 04:30:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 01, 2018, 04:21:09 PM

It's a long way from losing to Antrim in 2012.

It mightn't be as far as you think. KW has the makings of a good team there (Galway 2.0) if he picks the right players, who are there in the county. He's very stubborn and cautious though - i.e. as above, Ian Burke has been playing good football for Corofin for a number of seasons now, everyone but apparently KW knew it who only gave him his debut last July. I know I've harked on about it before but I think Galway needs one more regime-change to really unlock their potential.
I was thinking the same thing.
In fairness there has been steady progress since 2012. Year on year.
This was not the case for a long time previously
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Duine Eile

Quote from: mouview on November 01, 2018, 04:17:05 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on November 01, 2018, 11:48:12 AM
Quote from: galwayman on November 01, 2018, 09:37:28 AM
From a Galway point of view I was pretty certain we'd get a single All Star.
Ian Burke had a good year to be fair but having been at every Galway game league and championship in 2018 I have to say I think Shane should have got the award. For the first time in his career he was consistently good throughout the season.

Like you I thought we'd get one and it'd go to either Comer or Walsh. In saying that I was delighted  Ian Burke was nominated but thought the role he plays would rule him out seeing as he doesn't shoot the lights out every day but if you look at the amount of Galway scores he had a hand in this summer its phenomenal, I think I saw somewhere on twitter he either scored or had a role in over a third of Galway's scores in the championship. Big night for the Burke family tomorrow night with Daithí nearly certain to get one on the hurling team also.

Must be a source of great delight to Kevin Walsh that he managed to unearth this All-Star out of the blue over the past 12 months.

<< sarcasm:off>>

He's done well to transform a corner back on the B team into an all star corner forward.  ;)

mouview

Quote from: Gael85 on November 01, 2018, 04:39:40 PM
Ian Burke made his championship for Galway in 2017

Apols, meant it as last July 12 months.

Main Street

As well as being a top goalie, Cluxton has raised the influence of goalkeeper in the game to different levels. I took it for granted that Cluxton already had a barrow load of all stars. Anyway, this year he has been pipped by his most dedicated pupil in Beggan, that's still an honour of sorts for Cluxton.
3 all stars for Monaghan,  that's unprecedented but all hard earned of course :)   

Next year we'll bury Tyrone in a concrete tomb.

imtommygunn

I didn't realise he'd lost out on so many either. In my view the most influential player of the 2010 plus decade is him. He has completely changed the face of the game. (I felt dooher was the biggest influence in this regard in the noughties).

I actually sometimes wonder if hurling has taken note of the influence his kickouts have had and tried to apply this to puckouts as the puckouts in hurling have become a massive influence in games these days.

Mayo4Sam14

"What if I was to organise getting our own All Star Award made for Stephen Cluxton from us Dublin fans and present it to him to show how much us Dublin supporters appreciate him? Call it the Our Star Award or something?"

Post on Hill 16 Army. f**k sake lads he's not getting an all star just get over it, completely embarrassing at this stage.

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on November 01, 2018, 10:28:50 PM
"What if I was to organise getting our own All Star Award made for Stephen Cluxton from us Dublin fans and present it to him to show how much us Dublin supporters appreciate him? Call it the Our Star Award or something?"

Post on Hill 16 Army. f**k sake lads he's not getting an all star just get over it, completely embarrassing at this stage.

It's so cringey it almost belongs on Willie Joe's blog.

dublin7

Quote from: Syferus on November 01, 2018, 11:03:33 PM

Sorry but the difference between Cluxton and Mayo footballers is that when the pressure is applied on All Ireland final day he stands tall while Mayo players crumble or screw up.

It's farcical to think he hasn't won an All Star in 5 years. Beggan made 2 huge mistakes this year that cost Monaghan the games against Fermanagh & Tyrone but it appears because Cluxton is so consistent different standards are applied to him.

Between Cluxtons omission, Cavanagh at full back and Howard at midfield the All Stars this year are a joke. Both Howard and Cavanagh deserved them, but the positions they were awarded for the All Star is farcical

Schkite

Quote from: dublin7 on November 01, 2018, 11:14:20 PM

Sorry but the difference between Cluxton and Mayo footballers is that when the pressure is applied on All Ireland final day he stands tall while Mayo players crumble or screw up.

It's farcical to think he hasn't won an All Star in 5 years. Beggan made 2 huge mistakes this year that cost Monaghan the games against Fermanagh & Tyrone but it appears because Cluxton is so consistent different standards are applied to him.

Between Cluctons omission, Cavanagh at full back and Howard at midfield the All Stars this year are a joke. Both Howard and Cavanagh deserved them, but the positions they were awarded for the All Star is farcical

Cluxton made a balls up in the semi final too, the difference is that he has such a brilliant team in front of him that those mistakes are irrelevant to the final result

dublin7

Quote from: Schkite on November 01, 2018, 11:18:38 PM

Between Cluctons omission, Cavanagh at full back and Howard at midfield the All Stars this year are a joke. Both Howard and Cavanagh deserved them, but the positions they were awarded for the All Star is farcical

Cluxton made a balls up in the semi final too, the difference is that he has such a brilliant team in front of him that those mistakes are irrelevant to the final result

But he didn't cost his team the game. Beggan did TWICE. Surely that should be a factor. Cluxton's excellence is being used against him. What more does he have do that he hasn't done over the last 5 years?

Mayo4Sam14

Between Cluxtons omission, Cavanagh at full back and Howard at midfield the All Stars this year are a joke. Both Howard and Cavanagh deserved them, but the positions they were awarded for the All Star is farcical

Sorry that's just wrong, if you look back the big games over the last few years Cluxton has buckled when pressure cane on him

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: dublin7 on November 01, 2018, 11:20:27 PM
Quote from: Schkite on November 01, 2018, 11:18:38 PM

But he didn't cost his team the game. Beggan did TWICE. Surely that should be a factor. Cluxton's excellence is being used against him. What more does he have do that he hasn't done over the last 5 years?

Because Dublin have better players, he still fucked up. How the players around him reacted doesn't change an individual error.

dublin7

Sorry but if you cost your team a game twice in one season that has to be relevant.
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on November 01, 2018, 11:23:51 PM

Sorry that's just wrong, if you look back the big games over the last few years Cluxton has buckled when pressure cane on him
Bullshit.  Kerry in semi final had him rattles at half time. 2nd half he didn't misplace one kick out. Final v mayo in 2017 was the same. Only time he did struggle was when Mayo played Dubs in 2016. Dubs lost all their midfielders through subs/black cards and he had no one who could win a kick out.

David Clarke bottles it last year with his final kick out when he put it over the sideline even though Mayo had an extra man on the pitch. Somehow that has become Dublin fault for cynical fouling???