Football All Stars 2018

Started by thewobbler, July 25, 2018, 06:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Without Beggan Monaghan would not have beaten Tyrone in the Ulster championship.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Manning18

They were comparable from open play, both made good saves and had mistakes. Cluxton was his machine like brilliance at retaining possession from kick outs. Beggan was regularly hitting lads in stride 60 yards away, so a draw there also. What swings it is the 18 points Beggan kicked from 45-65 meters personally

Farrandeelin

Who's nominated for player of the year?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on November 01, 2018, 02:25:43 PM
Cluxton suffers in part because his excellence is taken as a given at this point.

Its a difficult one. Do we just hand it to him every year when he once again sets the standard, or does his universally-recognized status as probably the best and most influential keeper ever leave some room to honour other keepers achieving excellence in his wake?

Maybe Cluxton is beyond mere All Stars at this point.

Dublin would have won this AI with the backup keeper. Probably a few of the others, too.

Monaghan would scarcely be in the AISFs or D1 without Beggan. Particularly this year. So it was a good choice.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 01, 2018, 03:57:06 PM
Who's nominated for player of the year?
Footballer of the Year Nominees

1. Brian Fenton (Dublin)

2. Ciarán Kilkenny (Dublin)

3. Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)

Young Footballer of the Year Nominees

1. Brian Howard (Dublin)

2. David Clifford (Kerry)

3. Michael McKernan (Tyrone)

Orchard park

If cavanaghn is a full back, pick beggan at half forward

yellowcard

Wait until the shit storm when Clifford pips Howard to young player of the year. There is definitely an anti Dubs bias when it comes to selecting these awards and I think it will be on display again with Young Player of the Year. The only saving grace for the Dubs is that there are 3 of their players nominated for POTY and any one of them could win it but I think its a toss up between kilkenny and Fenton.

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on November 01, 2018, 04:06:12 PM
If cavanaghn is a full back, pick beggan at half forward

..?

Have you watched how deep Cavanagh plays?

mouview

Quote from: yellowcard on November 01, 2018, 09:41:03 AM
Cluxton is a victim of his own success. He has set such ridiculously high standards of consistency that it has become harder for him to shine in the eyes of the selectors. I would have gone for Cluxton but I can see how Beggan got the award since he was excellent in the main throughout the year although he had little wobbles in some of Monaghans biggest moments of the year.

McHugh is another excellent player but I thought his choice was a bit left field as well whilst I think Shane Walsh is Galways best forward and can feel very hard done by.

As ever with these awards though, they are all subjective.

Bit like Joe Canning in that regard.

mouview

Quote from: Duine Eile on November 01, 2018, 11:48:12 AM
Quote from: galwayman on November 01, 2018, 09:37:28 AM
From a Galway point of view I was pretty certain we'd get a single All Star.
Ian Burke had a good year to be fair but having been at every Galway game league and championship in 2018 I have to say I think Shane should have got the award. For the first time in his career he was consistently good throughout the season.

Like you I thought we'd get one and it'd go to either Comer or Walsh. In saying that I was delighted  Ian Burke was nominated but thought the role he plays would rule him out seeing as he doesn't shoot the lights out every day but if you look at the amount of Galway scores he had a hand in this summer its phenomenal, I think I saw somewhere on twitter he either scored or had a role in over a third of Galway's scores in the championship. Big night for the Burke family tomorrow night with Daithí nearly certain to get one on the hurling team also.

Must be a source of great delight to Kevin Walsh that he managed to unearth this All-Star out of the blue over the past 12 months.

<< sarcasm:off>>

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on November 01, 2018, 04:17:05 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on November 01, 2018, 11:48:12 AM
Quote from: galwayman on November 01, 2018, 09:37:28 AM
From a Galway point of view I was pretty certain we'd get a single All Star.
Ian Burke had a good year to be fair but having been at every Galway game league and championship in 2018 I have to say I think Shane should have got the award. For the first time in his career he was consistently good throughout the season.

Like you I thought we'd get one and it'd go to either Comer or Walsh. In saying that I was delighted  Ian Burke was nominated but thought the role he plays would rule him out seeing as he doesn't shoot the lights out every day but if you look at the amount of Galway scores he had a hand in this summer its phenomenal, I think I saw somewhere on twitter he either scored or had a role in over a third of Galway's scores in the championship. Big night for the Burke family tomorrow night with Daithí nearly certain to get one on the hurling team also.

Must be a source of great delight to Kevin Walsh that he managed to unearth this All-Star out of the blue over the past 12 months.

<< sarcasm:off>>
It's a long way from losing to Antrim in 2012.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on November 01, 2018, 04:21:09 PM

It mightn't be as far as you think. KW has the makings of a good team there (Galway 2.0) if he picks the right players, who are there in the county. He's very stubborn and cautious though - i.e. as above, Ian Burke has been playing good football for Corofin for a number of seasons now, everyone but apparently KW knew it who only gave him his debut last July. I know I've harked on about it before but I think Galway needs one more regime-change to really unlock their potential.

Gael85

Ian Burke made his championship for Galway in 2017

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: mouview on November 01, 2018, 04:30:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 01, 2018, 04:21:09 PM

It mightn't be as far as you think. KW has the makings of a good team there (Galway 2.0) if he picks the right players, who are there in the county. He's very stubborn and cautious though - i.e. as above, Ian Burke has been playing good football for Corofin for a number of seasons now, everyone but apparently KW knew it who only gave him his debut last July. I know I've harked on about it before but I think Galway needs one more regime-change to really unlock their potential.

Whatever about KW's faults as a manager, we are miles past the Antrim 2012 standard in fairness, there is simply no comparison.

Gael85

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 01, 2018, 10:06:07 AM
Anyone not from Dublin think Cluxton was robbed of one?

No complaints. Fair play to Beggan. Cluxton should have got All Star in 2017. Was his best season in recent years.